Last night, Kate Moss was photographed in a black strapless dress, heavy jewelry, and an ornate updo at a birthday party. At 5 a.m. this morning, Kate was photographed exiting the venue — in a different black strapless dress, the same jewelry, and a disheveled updo. Side-by-side comparisons reveal the following practical tips for mid-party outfit switches:
1. Maintain Your Personal Brand. The outfit you wear to a party announces the role you will play at it. Changing outfits helps you shift roles — diversifying and thus enriching the party experience — but runs the risk of implying the first outfit and role were mistakes. The best mid-party outfit switches are variations on a theme.
Kate changed into a longer dress and added a T-shirt, but stuck with her heavy jewelry, sweetheart neckline, and updo. This took her from expensive-looking sex bomb to expensive-looking cool girl — different enough to pique interest and liberate her a bit, but not so different as to suggest self-consciousness. This is the same look styled alternately for sexiness and for ease. (Or in second-wave feminist terms, for the male gaze and the female gaze.)
2. The Second Outfit Should Be More Comfortable. By 5 a.m., you'd be sick of tugging at the edges of that nip-slipping tube dress, too. And don't even get me started on pantyhose.
3. Small Changes Can Go a Long Way. Don't have an entire second outfit on hand? Consider a small change, like turning your purse around. Below at left, Kate projects maturity with a sleek black clutch. At right, a whimsical bow detail enhances the playfulness of Moss's second outfit.
4. Take Inspiration From Your Surroundings. Wild dance party? Take the freedom of the dancefloor ...
... and use it to re-style your hair.
5. Have a Message. Now that you have turned your friend's birthday party into a costumed two-act play about yourself, make sure you have something to say.
Since everyone will be drunk and forgetful by the end of the night, you may want to be obvious about it.
6. Own It. "Selfish?!" you may now be gasping. "But you just told me a mid-party outfit switch would be fun!" It's true, changing outfits mid-party is fun, but remember the price you pay: You are now the preening show-off who changed outfits in the middle of a party. Is it worth it? Are you cool enough to pull it off? Only one way to find out.
Most Viewed Stories
The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
American Apparel Files for Bankruptcy
‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
Ellie Kemper Thinks Kimmy Schmidt Would Fit in Well in Greenpoint
Céline’s Woman-Friendly Triumph
Astrology GIFs for the Week of October 5, 2015
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
Sleater-Kinney on Riot Grrl, Reuniting, and Portlandia
From Our Partners
Thrillist: Things No Self-Respecting Adult Should Be Doing on Facebook
Who What Wear
The Zara Outfit Every Girl In New York City Is Wearing
50+ Cult Favorite Halloween Costumes
5 Best Sex Positions to Practically Guarantee an Orgasm
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesSee Our Exclusive Portfolio From Paris Fashion Week
Another fashion month dispatch from photographer Tomasz Lazar.Coddington, Kawakubo Star in Interview Portfolio
They were photographed for a sweeping 60-page section by Fabien Baron.American Apparel Files for Bankruptcy
Current shareholders, including Dov Charney, will no longer control the company.The Retired Modeling Agent Who Loves Empire
“I started my own agency — we represented Twiggy — but went off to be assistant to the actor Yul Brynner, who was dating my roommate at the time.”Bright Coats for Cold Days
New York women in winter's least-boring outerwear, from bright-green alpaca fur to leopard-print mohair.Céline’s Woman-Friendly Triumph
Phoebe Philo remains in touch with what women want to wear.Watch the Akris Livestream
Enjoy!From Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
And don't count John Galliano out at Margiela yet.5 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 2
Cropped sweaters, a spangled skirt, and more.Jaden Smith and Kesha Partied This Week
Along with Cindy Crawford, Anjelica Huston, Rita Ora, and Lena Dunham.
Plus: more highlights from Paris Fashion Week's parties, including Jared Leto.See All the Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Featuring wooden platforms, velvet robes, and floor-length ponchos.Who Won Best-Dressed at Milan Fashion Week?
Another city, another people's choice Peacock.Style Smackdown: Olivia Pope vs. Cookie Lyon
Judging the best looks from this week's episodes.Never Mind the Feminist Sound-Bites, Rick Owens Just Showed His Best Clothes Yet
Gymnast models symbolizing "women supporting women" wore mature yet spontaneous looks.Grace Jones Is Having the Wildest Book Tour Ever [NSFW]
She flashed crowds at her signing in New York.Tom Ford and Lady Gaga Turn the Runway Into a Disco
The designer is showing his newest collection in a video.All About Dior’s Spring 2016 Show
Rihanna, lavender walls, and pointy flats.Cecilia Dean on Her Latest Immersive Fashion Project
A downtown art event with DVF and Proenza Schouler.Dior Built a Huge Flower Wall for Its Show
Just breathe that in.