On top of our current unemployment rate and manufacturing tragedies abroad, the price of fast fashion is a steep one. We pay less, we buy more, but we have too much stuff, and our own economy and creativity seems stilted, if not stagnant. These days, our approach to buying for our closets should be conscientious: a strategy that demands quality, crafstmanship, and creativity in addition to that joy that comes from wearing something excellent. One catch-all solution: Buy American. So in this second installment of our "Made in America" series, we looked for simple basics that are the best in their category. From the unusual (a Jasmin Shokrian white-cotton sundress) to the classic (Levi's nubbly gray sweatshirt), click ahead to see eighteen new feel-good options.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve