Taylor Swift's outfits have meaning. She spent the first half of her career in virginal white dresses. She celebrated her Conor Kennedy romance with a series of Kennedy-inspired ensembles. She likes "to dress up like hipsters / And make fun of our exes, ah-ah, ah-ah." So what do we make of her matching outfits with Hailee Steinfeld on Memorial Day?
Us Weekly reports that 23-year-old Taylor hosted 16-year-old Steinfeld and 28-year-old Jessica Szohr at her Rhode Island home this weekend, where they also met up with Lena Dunham and her fun. guitarist boyfriend Jack Antonoff. But back to the matching outfits: Is this cute or creepy? Your opinion will reflect your outlook on female relationships and clothing, in general. The options:
• They're friends wearing matching outfits! Cute!
• They're friends wearing matching outfits. [Gagging noises.]
• Taylor is turning Hailee into her clone. Just as Swift's relationship with the high-school-age Conor invited whispers about predatory dating practices, we must now fret that she will sink her youth-succubi fangs into the little girl from True Grit.
• Hailee is imitating Taylor, which is cute because it proves the following: (1) Hailee Steinfeld is a relatively normal teen girl who just wants to fit in and be like the cool older girls, which is cute because it's such a familiar impulse. (2) Taylor Swift is nice enough to smile and act natural when a younger girl admires and imitates her. (3) Taylor Swift really is a role model! All that wholesome girl-power marketing is actually true. It's nice when the messages drilled into our heads turn out to be true.
• Taylor is Regina George and Hailee is, hmmm, Gretchen Wieners? Cady Heron? And on Memorial Days, they wear
pink starched collars buttoned all the way to the top, sweaters, and shorts.
• Coincidence: It's a trendy look. [Yawn.]
My vote is for cute role-modeling, but trend ubiquity seems reasonable, too. Though the succubi theory is probably wrong, it has the best camp value, so I am willing to entertain it.BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
Amber Rose, Populist Slut Hero of Our Time
Cindy Crawford on Bagels, Instagirls, and Bringing the Supermodel Era to TV
7 Alternatives to Those Sold-Out L.L. Bean Boots
You Think You’re Too Classy to Drink Champagne From a Bong?
Are Newsletters the Internet’s New Safe Space for Women?
All the Ceilings Women Keep Hitting Their Heads On
From Our Partners
The Fashion Spot
New Study Says People Think Better of You When You Wear Black
The Art of Loving and Losing Female Friends
11 Struggles Every Girl With Glasses Will Understand
How This Woman Lost 30 Pounds After Years of Ignoring Her Weight Gain
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutWatch the Valentino Livestream
Enjoy!Tour a New York Interior Designer’s Bogotá Pied-à-terre
For when Juan Montoya pops in for a family visit.
She walked, she twerked — and she was pretty inspiring.This IUD Ad Is Actually About Staten Island
Even your birth control doesn’t want to take the ferry.7 Alternatives to Those Sold-Out L.L. Bean Boots
Don't be one of the 100,000 losers waiting for back orders.You Think You’re Too Classy to Drink Champagne From a Bong?
Think again.Assessing Steven Klein’s NARS Collaboration
Does the famed photographer's aesthetic translate to lipstick?‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
It's like whiskey dick, but with weed.The One Beauty Item That Keeps Popping Up at Fashion Month
A new makeup-artist favorite.5 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 3
Stripes, embroidered separates, and Céline studded boots.
And how she's helping her daughter navigate the pressures of the modeling industry.Right Now the Exercise Pill Is Nothing But a Beautiful Fantasy
It isn't happening anytime soon.How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
A helpful guide.Stock Up on These Fall Boots Under $300
Sensible lace-ups, sparkly shoes, and more.Toni Morrison on Forgiveness, Segregation, and Why She’d Rather Be a Citizen Than a Taxpayer
Quotes from her talk at the New Yorker Festival.Zendaya Floated Around Paris Like a Cloud
Dreamy.Would You Date a Guy on a Hoverboard? A Survey
An important poll for our time.This Terrifying Face Mask Is a New Korean Beauty Trend
You'll look like a serial killer, but it gives you extra-soft skin.See Our Exclusive Portfolio From Paris Fashion Week
Another fashion month dispatch from photographer Tomasz Lazar.Americans Just Want to Eat in Peace — So They Hide It
We're a nation who hides our snacks.