Taylor Swift's outfits have meaning. She spent the first half of her career in virginal white dresses. She celebrated her Conor Kennedy romance with a series of Kennedy-inspired ensembles. She likes "to dress up like hipsters / And make fun of our exes, ah-ah, ah-ah." So what do we make of her matching outfits with Hailee Steinfeld on Memorial Day?
Us Weekly reports that 23-year-old Taylor hosted 16-year-old Steinfeld and 28-year-old Jessica Szohr at her Rhode Island home this weekend, where they also met up with Lena Dunham and her fun. guitarist boyfriend Jack Antonoff. But back to the matching outfits: Is this cute or creepy? Your opinion will reflect your outlook on female relationships and clothing, in general. The options:
• They're friends wearing matching outfits! Cute!
• They're friends wearing matching outfits. [Gagging noises.]
• Taylor is turning Hailee into her clone. Just as Swift's relationship with the high-school-age Conor invited whispers about predatory dating practices, we must now fret that she will sink her youth-succubi fangs into the little girl from True Grit.
• Hailee is imitating Taylor, which is cute because it proves the following: (1) Hailee Steinfeld is a relatively normal teen girl who just wants to fit in and be like the cool older girls, which is cute because it's such a familiar impulse. (2) Taylor Swift is nice enough to smile and act natural when a younger girl admires and imitates her. (3) Taylor Swift really is a role model! All that wholesome girl-power marketing is actually true. It's nice when the messages drilled into our heads turn out to be true.
• Taylor is Regina George and Hailee is, hmmm, Gretchen Wieners? Cady Heron? And on Memorial Days, they wear
pink starched collars buttoned all the way to the top, sweaters, and shorts.
• Coincidence: It's a trendy look. [Yawn.]
My vote is for cute role-modeling, but trend ubiquity seems reasonable, too. Though the succubi theory is probably wrong, it has the best camp value, so I am willing to entertain it.BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
Bernie Sanders Wore the Only Appropriate Outfit to Trump’s Inauguration
Kellyanne Conway Goes With a Subtle Look for the Inauguration
Here’s the Official List of Speakers for the Women’s March on Washington
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
The Complicated, Controversial, Historic, Inspiring Women’s March
Everyone Is Handling This Week Differently
Thousands of Women Are Descending Upon Washington, D.C., for the Women’s March
Tiffany & Co. Unveils New Collaboration With NYPD: Branded Barricades by Trump Tower
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutRead Janet Mock’s Empowering Speech on Trans Women of Color and Sex Workers
From the Women’s March: “I stand here today most of all because I am my sister’s keeper.”The Women’s March Drew a Much Larger Crowd Than Trump’s Inauguration
A roundup of the worldwide rallies.People Came Out in Droves for the NYC Women’s March
About 100,000 people came out.Here’s Why a Women’s March Organizer Brought Her Baby Onstage
The baby appeared to sleep peacefully throughout.6 Compelling Things Gloria Steinem Said at the Women’s March
“We are united here for bodily integrity.”Over 1 Million New York Women Will Have Access to Free Contraception and Abortions
Andrew Cuomo’s announcement comes alongside the Women’s March.U.S. Border Agents Rejected Some Canadians Headed to the Women’s March
People in at least three groups were reportedly sent home.Here’s How to Livestream the Women’s March on Washington
It’s happening right now.Melania Trump Wears Hervé Pierre to the Inaugural Balls
The former model collaborated with the designer.‘Smells Like Boys’: A Night at the DeploraBall
Partying in Trump’s America.
People have come from around America to shout at each other.Melania Trump’s White House Bio Talks a Lot About Her Modeling Experience
And also plugs her Melania™ Timepieces & Jewelry collection on QVC.The Best Street Style From Paris Men’s Fashion Week
Baby pink, camo, and plenty of puffers.Everyone Is Handling This Week Differently
Another brave sartorial choice from baby boy Bieber.Bernie Sanders Wore the Only Appropriate Outfit to Trump’s Inauguration
Très chic, Bernard.The Complicated, Controversial, Historic, Inspiring Women’s March
The movement survives not in spite of its cacophony, but because of it.Thousands of Women Are Descending Upon Washington, D.C., for the Women’s March
Via plane, train, and automobile.Broad City’s Abbi and Ilana Prepare for the Trumpocalypse
“Pence looks like a wooden doll from the ‘50s.”Hillary Clinton Wore a Ralph Lauren White Pantsuit to Trump’s Inauguration
It’s not her first.Michelle Obama’s Face Perfectly Sums Up How You’re Feeling Today
The Obamas and the Trumps met at the White House before the swearing-in ceremony.