Taylor Swift's outfits have meaning. She spent the first half of her career in virginal white dresses. She celebrated her Conor Kennedy romance with a series of Kennedy-inspired ensembles. She likes "to dress up like hipsters / And make fun of our exes, ah-ah, ah-ah." So what do we make of her matching outfits with Hailee Steinfeld on Memorial Day?
Us Weekly reports that 23-year-old Taylor hosted 16-year-old Steinfeld and 28-year-old Jessica Szohr at her Rhode Island home this weekend, where they also met up with Lena Dunham and her fun. guitarist boyfriend Jack Antonoff. But back to the matching outfits: Is this cute or creepy? Your opinion will reflect your outlook on female relationships and clothing, in general. The options:
• They're friends wearing matching outfits! Cute!
• They're friends wearing matching outfits. [Gagging noises.]
• Taylor is turning Hailee into her clone. Just as Swift's relationship with the high-school-age Conor invited whispers about predatory dating practices, we must now fret that she will sink her youth-succubi fangs into the little girl from True Grit.
• Hailee is imitating Taylor, which is cute because it proves the following: (1) Hailee Steinfeld is a relatively normal teen girl who just wants to fit in and be like the cool older girls, which is cute because it's such a familiar impulse. (2) Taylor Swift is nice enough to smile and act natural when a younger girl admires and imitates her. (3) Taylor Swift really is a role model! All that wholesome girl-power marketing is actually true. It's nice when the messages drilled into our heads turn out to be true.
• Taylor is Regina George and Hailee is, hmmm, Gretchen Wieners? Cady Heron? And on Memorial Days, they wear
pink starched collars buttoned all the way to the top, sweaters, and shorts.
• Coincidence: It's a trendy look. [Yawn.]
My vote is for cute role-modeling, but trend ubiquity seems reasonable, too. Though the succubi theory is probably wrong, it has the best camp value, so I am willing to entertain it.BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
Blake Lively Reportedly Just Gave Birth, and You’ll Never Guess Who’s Running to the Hospital
I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
Elizabeth Warren Just Said What Most Women Wish They Could to Donald Trump
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
The Mysterious Deaths of Two Sisters in a Luxury Hotel
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
It’s Time to Stop Writing ‘I Hope You’re Well’ in Emails
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutChris Hemsworth Presents His Glorious Bottom for All the World to See
A new angle.Elizabeth Warren Just Said What Most Women Wish They Could to Donald Trump
She went on a Friday tweetstorm.Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on Why Being a Feminist and Loving Makeup Aren’t Mutually Exclusive
Contrary to that egg’s recent tweet.Yes, You Should Intervene If You Think a Child Is Being Abused
The safety of the child should come first.Gigi Hadid Is Now Designing Fall Boots
Would you wear the “Gigi”?Of Course These Two Celebrities Are Friends
They ate raw food together at a vegan restaurant.Postwar Elegance Captured by a Groundbreaking Female Photographer
Photographs from the new book Inge Morath: On Style.Joe Biden Spoke Out Against Rape Culture on The Tonight Show
“Any man who takes a drunk woman up the stairs in a fraternity house is a damn coward, man.”Samantha Bee, Gloria Steinem, Gayle King, and More Women Told Us How to Deal With Mansplainers
Samantha Bee’s advice: “I clamsplain right back.”These Diamonds Are As Cool As They Are Affordable
Simple studs for multiple holes.
Balmain, Rick Owens, and Galliano at Margiela deliver.The Mad-Scientist Designer Making Clothes From a Single Thread
Designer Jeanne Vicerial is pushing the limits of what we consider fashion.What Does Girl-Power Makeup Look Like?
Dior’s first female creative director has a simple interpretation.The Mysterious Deaths of Two Sisters in a Luxury Hotel
Annie and Robin Korkki were found dead in a private Seychelles villa.Gwyneth Paltrow Tortures Her Trainer by Playing Justin Timberlake on Repeat
Tracy Anderson admits she hates training Gwyneth Paltrow.Here’s a Depressing But Helpful Suggestion: Buy Your Winter Stuff Now
Because nothing is worse than trudging through a snow pile in a thin coat and leaky boots.Jessica Biel Sees Your Shower Beer and Raises You a Shower Chicken-Apple Sausage
Sounds complicated.In This Life, You Are Either a Barack or a Bill
One's kind of uptight, the other's super chill.Rihanna and Mac Miller Partied This Week
Plus: Karlie Kloss, Ariana Grande, Cam’ron.Treat Yourself: A Pair of Lush Burgundy Boots
Like wearing autumn on your feet.