Before the weekend, we announced the launch of Josie Maran Argan Self-Tanning Body Wash. We couldn't tell you the IRL results because we hadn't received the actual stuff yet, but the package arrived just as Friday's workday was ending. Here is a list of things to expect if you have purchased (but haven't used) or plan on purchasing your very own bottle.
1. Do not be alarmed. The "body wash" is very dark. In fact, the foam will make you think you've just pumped out the most airy, lightweight dollop of dark-chocolate brownie mix onto your sponge. It also smells sweetly of vanilla and coconut, which might actually convince you this is dessert.
2. Do follow the directions and use the provided loofah. My press sample did not include said wooden-handled loofah, so I used my own and held the sponge in my hand. Your palm will immediately turn a frightening shade of shoe-polish black.
3. Do use the pair of rubber gloves included in the kit. As creepy and American Pyscho–y as it feels to pull on a set of gloves while in the shower, it would've saved me the twenty extra minutes I had to spend basically scratching the self-tanning agent off my hands. Post-shower, my cuticles looked like they were caked in soil.
4. Do accept that you might have streaky drips of tanner. Because you are applying the product to your body in a wet, steamy environment, the likelihood of the formula dripping down your body will mean that in certain spots you'll end up with dark, runny streaks. The directions do advise to apply the stuff in swift, circular motions ... maybe I wasn't speedy enough?
5. Do keep a container of Clorox Disinfecting Wipes nearby. After you've rinsed off the body wash and stepped out of the tub, you will see that some parts of the shower are now left with streaky remnants of the tanning formula. Because I wasn't sure of the product's tub-staining abilities, I grabbed the first thing from under my bathroom sink (in this case, Clorox wipes) and went at it. A few minutes later, there were no leftover stains. My bathroom no longer looked like a Kardashian had melted inside.
If you follow the exact directions and heed my warnings, then you should have a nice, subtly bronzy, streak-free glow, which 95 percent of my body possesses. When I figure out how to keep the product from dripping during its 30-second "setting" time, I'll let you know.
Most Viewed Stories
The Most Depressing Ways The Bachelor Couple Have Described Their Relationship
Serena Williams’s Pregnancy Announcement Was Completely Unintentional
Ask Polly: Is Life All Downhill From Here?
Zeke Thomas Speaks Out for the First Time About Being Assaulted
All the Cool Girls Had One: 16 Women on Teen Status Symbols
Should You Be Boycotting SheaMoisture?
A Dead Woman’s Fitbit Data May Lead to Her Husband’s Murder Conviction
Ikea Would Like You to Consider Its 99-Cent Tote Over Balenciaga’s $2,145 Version
Melania Trump’s Rep Would Like You to Know She Isn’t ‘Miserable’ With Donald
A Snazzy White Blouse With a Colorful Purse Is a Good Look
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesSee Colorful Flowers Reimagined As Sculptures
The new book In Full Flower spotlights influential floral designers.Senator Tells High-School Students Some LGBT People Are Asking to Be Bullied
“You can be just about anything you want to be, as long as you don’t push it in somebody’s face.”Lydia Polgreen Wants to Bring HuffPost Back to the People
The paper’s new editor-in-chief and self-proclaimed “ink-stained wretch” explains its changing ethos.Chinese Factory Used by Ivanka Trump’s Clothing Maker Routinely Underpaid Its Workers
The Chinese factory systematically overworked and underpaid workers, an inspection found.Cara Delevingne Is Now Completely Bald
You can identify her by her brows.Raf Simons on Diversifying Calvin Klein’s Ads
“In this political climate, more than ever, it is important.”Is Plus-Size Designer Consignment on the Up and Up?
One retailer is making a difference.I Finally Understand Online Mom Drama
Because sometimes I participate.Ann Coulter Officially Cancels Her UC Berkeley Speech
The conservative commentator’s speech isn’t happening anymore.My New Favorite Shampoo Keeps My Hair Clean for 4 Days
A fancy new French shampoo that kills the need for dry shampoo.
Including trips to Antarctica, as part of a new venture called Clos19.Yes, Even The Handmaid’s Tale Has a Fashion Collaboration
Indie brand Vaquera is taking on the look of Gilead.Bill O’Reilly Protégé Makes Crude On-air Remark About Ivanka Trump
“But, I really like how she was speaking into that microphone.”8 Perfect Sports Bras for Big Boobs
Minimize the pain and bounce.The New York Artist Charting New Territory in Southern California
Jennie Jieun Lee on returning to ceramics after ten years, settling into her new home across the country, and dancing with Stanley Love.Samantha Bee Hasn’t Checked Her Twitter Mentions Since the ‘Geyser of Hatred’ She Received on Election Night
“That night, at about 10 o’clock, I could not believe what I was seeing in my mentions.”The 11 Best ‘Natural’ Beauty Products Right Now on Amazon
The best epsom salts, lipstick, and “natural” highlighter.Amazon Echo Look Is About to Make Getting Dressed Super Creepy
What could possibly go wrong?Melania Trump’s Rep Would Like You to Know She Isn’t ‘Miserable’ With Donald
Her rep attempted to squash recent reports of marital unhappiness.How Can I Stop Eating Like a Maniac in Front of My Son?
Because I should. Studies say!