Getting dressed when it's sticky, hot, and humid out can be as simple as throwing on a pair of silky shorts and a tank, but for the days when you can't be bothered to dig up a matching outfit, a maxi dress can be a lifesaver. Long enough to hide the fact that you may not have shaved your legs, you simply throw one on with a pair of sandals and consider yourself dressed. While most styles tend to skew bohemian with busy patterns, crochet, or lace detailing, the minimalist version of the look feels polished and urban. In rich hues like Topshop's cornflower blue, Naven's jade green, or By Malene Birger's mandarin orange, the ankle-skimming pieces only require the barest of jewelry. For a truly spare take on the style, black or white dresses like Helmut's figure-hugging cowlneck and ASOS's pleated number are clean and graphic, especially when worn as part of a monochromatic look. One styling note: If you are on the petite side, choose a shoe that adds some height (a wedge, stacked heel, or a flatform) to prevent the length and volume from overwhelming your frame. Just skip stilettos, as to maintain the casual vibe. Click ahead to see our current favorites, perfect for the heat wave that's engulfing most of the country.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve