Last night, in the middle of the NBA championship game and as violent protests swept Brazil, the Internet ground to a halt. "The birth certificate is out," Us Weekly announced. Kimye's baby's birth certificate, and the name on it was not Kaidence Donda West. It was not Klementine Star West. It was not a symbol, an Emoji, or beautiful sound. It was North West. North West! Here is everything we know about this thrilling new name that I have concluded is, in fact, perfect:
• North West.
• Northwest Airlines ceased operations in 2010, so it's not product placement.
• TMZ broke the news after seeing the birth certificate last night, but In Touch actually reported "North West" on Tuesday: "They're not totally sure about it. Kanye loves it, Kim is okay with it," said a "close friend of Kim."
• In Touch's source also noted, "The family doesn't like it."
• No silent k on the birth certificate.
• No middle name on the birth certificate.
• In navigation, northwest is known as an ordinal, intercardinal, or intermediate direction. On a compass, arrows marked with ordinal directions are called half compass points. If Kimye adds a second "North" as a middle name — North North West — the arrow marked with the baby's name would be called a false point.
• Probability that Kanye writes a song with the phrase "true north" in it: 98 percent
• Probability that Kanye makes a pun about the pole with which he made North: 42 percent
• Probability that they have another child, and that child's name is another ordinal direction: one percent
• As far as creative baby names go, I give this name 1.5 Blue Ivys. Like Beyoncé and Jay-Z's baby name, Kimye's is interesting enough to draw attention but normal enough that you already know how to pronounce it. But it is also a theme name, in the manner of Krystal Ball, which adds just enough material to enable 45 seconds of small talk at the buffet table of a summer wedding. This low-level piquing of interest is what makes North West a thoroughly Kardashian name, even if Kanye (and his sometimes cheesy sensibility) chose it. For the Kardashians' greatest feat is their ability to draw attention without doing anything that is actually interesting. They are masters of the banal spectacle, turning household monotony and Kim's swollen feet into news events. In that sense, North West achieves Kardashian, and is thus a great name for Kanye and Kim's daughter.
Most Viewed Stories
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Donald Trump Spent the Morning After the Debate Fat-Shaming Miss Universe, Again
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Hillary Clinton’s Sickest Debate Burns
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Area Woman Interrupted by Man 25 Times in 26 Minutes
Our Scowling Hero Breaks a Smile
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutKim Kardashian Says She Developed Thick Skin for the Haters Thanks to Kanye West
She says she used to cry when mean things were said about her.Chelsea Clinton Says She Didn’t Initially Know Her Mom Had Pneumonia Because She Was Trying to Power Through It
She says she found out when her mom showed up at her apartment.Men Who Protested Ryan Lochte’s Presence on Dancing With the Stars Are Charged With Misdemeanors
Two men were charged with two counts of misdemeanors on Monday.Serena Williams Refuses to ‘Stay Silent’ About Racial Inequality
“It’s not how far we have come but how much further still we have to go.”Young Girl Calls for End to Police Brutality in Heartbreaking Speech
It’s a devastating plea.The Y Has Returned in a Big Way to YSL
This is what Saint Laurent looks like post-Hedi.The Most Dramatic Backstage Photos You’ll See All Fashion Month
Preview the book Landon Nordeman: Out of Fashion.Even 100 Years Ago, People Were Worried About Technology Ruining Relationships
An old cartoon echoes some very modern anxieties.This Lipstick Was Designed by a Woman Who Can See 100 Million Colors
Maureen Seberg can see so many more colors than you.Brad Pitt Skipping Premiere to Focus on ‘Family Situation’
The actor may be gearing up to tell his side of the story in the tabloids this week.
He will be cold without it.The President of NARAL on What Abortion Means in This Election
It signals how the candidates feel about women.YogaToes Cured My Lifelong Fear of Bunions
The stretch feels like a backbend—but for your feet.Amy Schumer Just Broke a Major Milestone for Women in Comedy
She’s the first woman to land on Forbes’s list of the highest-paid comedians.The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
An ambitious woman and the angry men who want to stop her.Ivanka Trump Is Great for Women, Says Man Married to Ivanka Trump
Ivanka Trump is the perfect person to handle “women’s issues,” according to her husband.World’s First 3-Parent Baby Is a Healthy Boy
He was born in Mexico to Jordanian parents.Nation Recovers From Post-Debate Hangover With Mary J. Blige and Hillary Clinton Memes
“What will you do to fix the national epidemic of hateration in this dancerie?”The Hottest Party of the Year Is This 6-Year-Old’s Drake-Themed Birthday Party
It has everything: an OVO cake, Drake balloons, fake money.See Haute Couture’s Most Romantic Looks
Intricate pieces, out for a stroll around Paris.