Last night, in the middle of the NBA championship game and as violent protests swept Brazil, the Internet ground to a halt. "The birth certificate is out," Us Weekly announced. Kimye's baby's birth certificate, and the name on it was not Kaidence Donda West. It was not Klementine Star West. It was not a symbol, an Emoji, or beautiful sound. It was North West. North West! Here is everything we know about this thrilling new name that I have concluded is, in fact, perfect:
• North West.
• Northwest Airlines ceased operations in 2010, so it's not product placement.
• TMZ broke the news after seeing the birth certificate last night, but In Touch actually reported "North West" on Tuesday: "They're not totally sure about it. Kanye loves it, Kim is okay with it," said a "close friend of Kim."
• In Touch's source also noted, "The family doesn't like it."
• No silent k on the birth certificate.
• No middle name on the birth certificate.
• In navigation, northwest is known as an ordinal, intercardinal, or intermediate direction. On a compass, arrows marked with ordinal directions are called half compass points. If Kimye adds a second "North" as a middle name — North North West — the arrow marked with the baby's name would be called a false point.
• Probability that Kanye writes a song with the phrase "true north" in it: 98 percent
• Probability that Kanye makes a pun about the pole with which he made North: 42 percent
• Probability that they have another child, and that child's name is another ordinal direction: one percent
• As far as creative baby names go, I give this name 1.5 Blue Ivys. Like Beyoncé and Jay-Z's baby name, Kimye's is interesting enough to draw attention but normal enough that you already know how to pronounce it. But it is also a theme name, in the manner of Krystal Ball, which adds just enough material to enable 45 seconds of small talk at the buffet table of a summer wedding. This low-level piquing of interest is what makes North West a thoroughly Kardashian name, even if Kanye (and his sometimes cheesy sensibility) chose it. For the Kardashians' greatest feat is their ability to draw attention without doing anything that is actually interesting. They are masters of the banal spectacle, turning household monotony and Kim's swollen feet into news events. In that sense, North West achieves Kardashian, and is thus a great name for Kanye and Kim's daughter.
Most Viewed Stories
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
The Obamas Visited Malia and Sasha’s Old Swing Set at Its New Home at a D.C. Shelter
How to Live in a 150-Square-Foot Studio
Ask a Boss: How Do I Quit the Job I’ve Had Forever?
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutKarl Lagerfeld Is Rumored to Be Among the Designers Dressing Melania Trump for the Inauguration
If so, he would join Ralph Lauren as the most high-profile designers dressing the incoming first lady.Rachel Comey on How She’s Mobilizing the Fashion Industry for the Women’s March
She put out a call to her fellow designers.Turmeric Might Not Have Magical Therapeutic Powers After All
A new study shines a skeptical light on turmeric.Republican Men Think Women Have It Better
A new survey found that 51 percent of Republican men think it’s a good time to be a woman in America.Obama Commutes Chelsea Manning’s Sentence
She will be out of prison on May 17.Why Some Parents Are Slaughtering Sophie the Giraffe
Cause of death: a viral article inciting mold fears.Why Not Sail to Italy With These Italian Men?
This daydream of a video comes courtesy of Caruso.Please Ignore This Enraging Person at the Women’s March
This week’s “Bermuda Square” comic strip.Activists Are Planning a Queer Dance Party Outside Mike Pence’s Home
The dance is in protest of Pence’s stance on LGBTQ issues.Louis Vuitton Held a Conversation on the Syrian Crisis
The brand has partnered with UNICEF to help the cause.
The election has been a headache for migraine sufferers.Female Zebra Shark Gives Up on Shark Men and Mates With Herself
After being separated from her mate for three years, Leonie the shark reproduced asexually.Hillary Clinton Supporter Ralph Lauren Will Dress Melania Trump for Inauguration
The designer will reach across the aisle — or design room.Your Guide to NYC Inauguration Weekend Protests
Not making it to D.C.? Here are some local options.See All the Best Street Style From Milan Men’s Fashion Week
Wide-leg pants, puffer coats, lots of red.Fake News, Fake Science and Why Doctors Lie About Abortion
The consequences of bad information about women’s health.Alicia Keys Really Believes That Inner Beauty Is the Best Highlighter
Her glow doesn’t come in a compact.This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
Corinne is not who she seems.Ask a Boss: How Do I Quit the Job I’ve Had Forever?
With two weeks’ notice.U.S. Abortion Rate Lowest Since Roe v. Wade
A new study from the Guttmacher Institute shows a decline in abortions.