Last night, in the middle of the NBA championship game and as violent protests swept Brazil, the Internet ground to a halt. "The birth certificate is out," Us Weekly announced. Kimye's baby's birth certificate, and the name on it was not Kaidence Donda West. It was not Klementine Star West. It was not a symbol, an Emoji, or beautiful sound. It was North West. North West! Here is everything we know about this thrilling new name that I have concluded is, in fact, perfect:
• North West.
• Northwest Airlines ceased operations in 2010, so it's not product placement.
• TMZ broke the news after seeing the birth certificate last night, but In Touch actually reported "North West" on Tuesday: "They're not totally sure about it. Kanye loves it, Kim is okay with it," said a "close friend of Kim."
• In Touch's source also noted, "The family doesn't like it."
• No silent k on the birth certificate.
• No middle name on the birth certificate.
• In navigation, northwest is known as an ordinal, intercardinal, or intermediate direction. On a compass, arrows marked with ordinal directions are called half compass points. If Kimye adds a second "North" as a middle name — North North West — the arrow marked with the baby's name would be called a false point.
• Probability that Kanye writes a song with the phrase "true north" in it: 98 percent
• Probability that Kanye makes a pun about the pole with which he made North: 42 percent
• Probability that they have another child, and that child's name is another ordinal direction: one percent
• As far as creative baby names go, I give this name 1.5 Blue Ivys. Like Beyoncé and Jay-Z's baby name, Kimye's is interesting enough to draw attention but normal enough that you already know how to pronounce it. But it is also a theme name, in the manner of Krystal Ball, which adds just enough material to enable 45 seconds of small talk at the buffet table of a summer wedding. This low-level piquing of interest is what makes North West a thoroughly Kardashian name, even if Kanye (and his sometimes cheesy sensibility) chose it. For the Kardashians' greatest feat is their ability to draw attention without doing anything that is actually interesting. They are masters of the banal spectacle, turning household monotony and Kim's swollen feet into news events. In that sense, North West achieves Kardashian, and is thus a great name for Kanye and Kim's daughter.
Most Viewed Stories
Donald Trump Spent the Morning After the Debate Fat-Shaming Miss Universe, Again
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Hillary Clinton’s Sickest Debate Burns
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Area Woman Interrupted by Man 25 Times in 26 Minutes
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutWorld’s First 3-Parent Baby Is a Healthy Boy
He was born in Mexico to Jordanian parents.Nation Recovers From Post-Debate Hangover With Mary J. Blige and Hillary Clinton Memes
“What will you do to fix the national epidemic of hateration in this dancerie?”The Hottest Party of the Year Is This 6-Year-Old’s Drake-Themed Birthday Party
It has everything: an OVO cake, Drake balloons, fake money.See Haute Couture’s Most Romantic Looks
Intricate pieces, out for a stroll around Paris.Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
TMZ reports that all the baby shower drama stems from a breakup.Lawrence of Arabia Is a Prime Example of Old Hollywood Sexism
Let’s just say it doesn’t exactly pass the Bechdel test.Fashion Bloggers Do Not Deserve This Backlash
Neiman Marcus jumps on Vogue’s bandwagon and blames social media for declining sales.6 Hip-hop Influencers Wearing the Season’s Hottest Puffers
Missy Elliott’s “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)” look is back.There’s More to Scandinavian Style Than Ikea
Paris-based designer Tuomas Merikoski on his out-of-the-box line Aalto.Give This Drama-Loving Reporter Her Own Bravo Show
The “thanks a lot, bitch” heard ’round the world.
You don’t have to join in their relationship this way.Maya Rudolph on Her Prince Cover Band and Mourning the Purple One
“Everybody has their heroes, and he was mine, and I took it really hard.”Queer Women Are Losing Their Havens Online
AfterEllen was an institution. Now, it’s gone.Justin Theroux Calls Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s Divorce ‘Terrible News’
The actor has answered the first of many questions about his wife’s ex-husband’s divorce.Your Birth-Control Coverage Could Get Way Better in 2018
Doctors are recommending some big changes.It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
The new Netflix documentary sheds fresh light on a case that’s captivated the public for nearly ten years.Iran Releases Canadian-Iranian Professor Jailed for ‘Dabbling in Feminism’
Dr. Homa Hoodfar had been held at one of Iran’s most notorious prisons.Mary J. Blige Talks With, and Sings at, Hillary Clinton in Upcoming 411 Show on Apple Music
The 411 will debut on Apple Music on September 30.Gigi Hadid Wants Women to Know They Have the Right to Fight Back
She opened up about her recent assault.How Kathryn Minshew, CEO and Founder of the Muse, Gets It All Done
On veggie squeeze packets, “zombie meetings,” and teaching herself how to become organized.