Last night, in the middle of the NBA championship game and as violent protests swept Brazil, the Internet ground to a halt. "The birth certificate is out," Us Weekly announced. Kimye's baby's birth certificate, and the name on it was not Kaidence Donda West. It was not Klementine Star West. It was not a symbol, an Emoji, or beautiful sound. It was North West. North West! Here is everything we know about this thrilling new name that I have concluded is, in fact, perfect:
• North West.
• Northwest Airlines ceased operations in 2010, so it's not product placement.
• TMZ broke the news after seeing the birth certificate last night, but In Touch actually reported "North West" on Tuesday: "They're not totally sure about it. Kanye loves it, Kim is okay with it," said a "close friend of Kim."
• In Touch's source also noted, "The family doesn't like it."
• No silent k on the birth certificate.
• No middle name on the birth certificate.
• In navigation, northwest is known as an ordinal, intercardinal, or intermediate direction. On a compass, arrows marked with ordinal directions are called half compass points. If Kimye adds a second "North" as a middle name — North North West — the arrow marked with the baby's name would be called a false point.
• Probability that Kanye writes a song with the phrase "true north" in it: 98 percent
• Probability that Kanye makes a pun about the pole with which he made North: 42 percent
• Probability that they have another child, and that child's name is another ordinal direction: one percent
• As far as creative baby names go, I give this name 1.5 Blue Ivys. Like Beyoncé and Jay-Z's baby name, Kimye's is interesting enough to draw attention but normal enough that you already know how to pronounce it. But it is also a theme name, in the manner of Krystal Ball, which adds just enough material to enable 45 seconds of small talk at the buffet table of a summer wedding. This low-level piquing of interest is what makes North West a thoroughly Kardashian name, even if Kanye (and his sometimes cheesy sensibility) chose it. For the Kardashians' greatest feat is their ability to draw attention without doing anything that is actually interesting. They are masters of the banal spectacle, turning household monotony and Kim's swollen feet into news events. In that sense, North West achieves Kardashian, and is thus a great name for Kanye and Kim's daughter.
Most Viewed Stories
That Awkward Clip of Donald and Melania at the Inauguration Is Definitely Real
Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Reportedly Spotted at the Women’s March
A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
What You Need to Know About the 89800 ‘Count Me’ Text
Like Trump, Taylor Swift Cares About Numbers
Museums Across the World Are Collecting Women’s March Signs
Calvin Klein Quietly Unveils First Raf Simons Collection
Sean Spicer Chews and Swallows 35 Pieces of Gum Every Day Before Noon
Why the Election of 9 Black Female Judges in Alabama Matters
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutJax’s Roast Should’ve Lasted All Episode
Watching Jax Taylor get insulted on camera is oddly satisfying.All 6 of King Henry VIII’s Wives Had Great Style
See costumes from the lavish new period drama.Contrary to What Sean Spicer Says, Taxpayer Dollars Don’t Fund Abortions Overseas
Dissecting Sean Spicer’s statement about the Mexico City Policy.The ‘Natural’ Skin-care Line Sephora Can’t Keep in Stock
All without Kardashian endorsements --- or fragrances.These 9 High-School Marchers Will Give You Hope for the Future
“For the kids in the community that didn’t have the opportunity to go, I want to be able to represent them and break the stereotypes held against us.”That Awkward Clip of Donald and Melania at the Inauguration Is Definitely Real
A short video clip tells all.Was This Your First March? Don’t Stop Now.
The work didn’t end on Saturday.The Future of the Left Is Female
Women’s rights are human rights, and women leaders are progressive leaders.Have Dark Eye Circles? Dior Shows You How to Put Some Glitter on It
Who needs concealer?What You Need to Know About the 89800 ‘Count Me’ Text
The organization behind the Count Me In effort provided an update.
Including Kate Spade’s camel adventure, and a look at Maria Grazia Chiuri’s first ads for Dior.Sean Spicer Chews and Swallows 35 Pieces of Gum Every Day Before Noon
He chews Orbit cinnamon, which is a terrible choice.Guess What Mariah Carey Did to Cheer Up Her Backup Dancer?
It took place onstage.Senator Taking Inauguration Selfie Identified Only as ‘Woman’
SFGate neglected to identify the senator, who was taking a photo with her male colleagues.The Musician on a Date at the NYC Women’s March
This week’s sex diary.Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
The president reinstated the Global Gag Rule on abortion on Monday morning.7 Ways to Wear Cropped Pants in the Winter
Denim, satin, any kind of fabric, we’ve got the answer.Maria Grazia Chiuri Made Her Dior Couture Debut Amid an Enchanted Forest Set
Fairy-tale fashion.An Estimated 3.2 Million People Participated in Women’s Marches Across the Country
A by-the-numbers breakdown of women’s marches in every city.Trump Accuser Jessica Drake Was a One-Woman Protest at the Porn Oscars
She flew to the awards after marching in Washington, and walked the red carpet wearing a dress made to look like a burned American flag.