Ladylike looks are often fussy and decidedly non-contemporary, especially when it comes to a vintage silhouette like a fifties-inspired full skirt with a fitted sweater. But with longer hemlines making a comeback, a more demure and feminine look suddenly feels fresh and new. Take this street style photo above, of a woman wearing a canary yellow a-line skirt with a black and white short-sleeve knit — it could be from the first season of Mad Men were it not for the vivid colors offset by minimal accessories. To try this look yourself, choose a sweater that includes graphic detailing, whether its squares, stripes, or diamonds. Then add a full, midi-length bottom in a rich yellow, green, or even a moody navy blue. Finish off with a structured bag and white heels for a look that's equally as great for the office as it would be for a fancy lunch. Click ahead to see three ways to recreate the outfit at every price-point.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve