The 2013 CFDA Awards started with a worrisome downpour that threatened to turn the red carpet into a sopping wet mess. But as luck would have it, the rain stopped just in time for celebrities to roll in with their hair intact and skirts unsoiled. And what a good crowd it was! Hillary Clinton was there, along with other famous presenters like Rose Byrne, Jessica Chastain, Ethan Hawke, Kerry Washington, and Hailee Steinfeld. We rounded up eight of the show's funniest, awkwardest, and most notable moments; you can also check out the full red-carpet slideshow here, and a list of the evening's winners here.
1. Following Clinton's introduction, honoree Oscar de la Renta couldn't resist a plug: "Perhaps she wouldn't like me to say this, but I think she's going to be our next president," he said. Hillary stood next to the podium and smiled awkwardly, shaking her head, while the crowd cheered wildly for what felt like five minutes straight.
2. Highlights of host Andy Cohen's opening monologue included a clip of his little-known Sex and the City cameo as a Barneys shoe salesman. (Important sidenote: Are those shoes he's putting on Carrie Bradshaw the same white Manolo slingbacks that Anna Wintour always wears?) He also riffed on the Texts From Hillary meme, and when the room burst into applause at the very mention of Hillary's name, he looked around in mock bewilderment: "There are Democrats here?" Low points: a mention of Clinton's scrunchies fell flat, but hey, it was a tough crowd for accessories jokes.
3. Tween heartthrobs Hailee Steinfeld and Douglas Booth presented the Swarovski Emerging Designer awards, which made everyone feel old (and more than a little bit lecherous).
4. But luckily, Betsey Johnson and her daughter Lulu were on hand to remind us that no matter what, some things about the CFDAs truly never change.
5. Suno's Erin Beatty was so flabbergasted to win for Emerging Designer in Womenswear that her partner Max Osterweis literally had to help her down the stairs. "We really didn't expect this," she said backstage afterward. Who did she think would win instead? "Um, one of our friends."
6. Likewise, the Proenza Schouler boys seemed genuinely shocked about their victory and kept taking selfies with their trophy backstage. "We really weren't ready at all," said Jack McCollough. "In years past, we tried to prepare at least a little bit, and then you feel silly when you don't win and you've got this speech in your pocket." He paused. "I've got to call my mom!"
8. The evening's best acceptance speech: Public School's Maxwell Osbourne got to the podium and spluttered, "Holy shit!"BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
Jesse Williams and Aryn Drake-Lee Divorcing After Five Years of Marriage
Zeke Thomas Speaks Out for the First Time About Being Assaulted
Former Bachelor Chris Soules Reportedly Arrested After Fatal Crash
The Most Depressing Ways The Bachelor Couple Have Described Their Relationship
I Was the Queen Bee: 3 High-School Bullies Describe Their Reigns of Terror
Serena Williams Responds to Male Tennis Player’s Racist Remark About Her Pregnancy
Will We Abandon Women’s Rights in the Name of Progressive Politics?
All the Cool Girls Had One: 16 Women on Teen Status Symbols
What It’s Like to Have Tina Fey As a Mentor
Ask a Boss: How Do I Ask to Work From Home?
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.