A Michigan State study on hand washing found that only 5 percent of public restroom users observed in East Lansing wash their hands with soap and water for fifteen seconds or longer. The CDC recommends twenty seconds of hand-lathering, a period of time that equates to "hum[ming] the 'Happy Birthday' song from beginning to end twice." Matt Lauer jokingly offered some other songs, but here at the Cut, hand sanitation is not a joke. Here are some accurate ways to measure the twenty seconds it takes to clean your filthy hands:
• The following Katy Perry verse: "You make me feel like I'm living a teenage dream, the way you turn me on/I can't sleep, let's runaway and don't ever look back, don't ever look back."
• The Dance Moms' "My world is with my girls/Living on the dance! Floor!" jingle, repeated twice.
• The following Scissor Sisters verse: "'Cuz you're nasty, oooh, but I'm gorgeous/'Cuz you're nasty, oooh, but I'm gorgeous/You're disgusting! Oooh! And you're nasty!"
• Recite the Aeneid up to "Iunonis ob iram."
• If you work in management, bring some résumés to the bathroom with you. Read and evaluate four people's lives; the average HR professional spends six seconds reading a résumé. Last two hand-washing seconds may be spent laughing with derision.
• Justin Bieber's "Beauty and the Beat," played on your phone until Bieber gets to "Eh! Eh! Eh!" Since you had to touch your phone, you should now work up a lather and rub your phone for another twenty seconds, or until Bieber arrives at the falsetto "All I need/Is a beauty and a beat" hook.
• Imagine you are waiting for a very slow elevator. The moment you become blinded with impatient rage will probably be around the twenty-second mark.
Most Viewed Stories
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
Ask Polly: Should I Try to Help My Alcoholic Friend?
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesThe Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.Santigold’s New Video Is the Result of a Spontaneous Run-in With Kara Walker
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Spotted Together Again, Love Might Be Real
They could be back together ahh!Teen, Forced to Go on Vacation With Her Family, Calls 911
The logical decision.Report: Hearst Fired Seventeen EIC Michelle Tan During Her Maternity Leave
Tan had been at the magazine for about two years.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.Miles Teller Is Still Upset About Being Called a Dick
He wants to set the record straight.Why Parents Shouldn’t Talk About Weight With Their Teens
New guidelines seek to banish weight talk.