With each consecutive showing at Christian Dior, Creative Director Raf Simons seems to be letting himself explore a little further from the brand's past, this time incorporating a globe-spanning array of cultural references for fall 2013 couture. Of course, he continues to reference Dior's archives, but updates classic silhouettes with a fresh, multicultural slant. Paris's New Look was evident in a grey two-piece skirt and strapless peplum top paired with ladylike leather gloves. America's casual prep emerged in formal stripes and a couture twist on the lazy, half-tucked white button-down shirt. A red, pleated, multitiered gown and Kimono-shaped coats paid tribute to Asia, while gowns in bold primary colors reminiscent of African tribal garb were paired with neck plates. And what international wardrobe would be complete without an outrageously beautiful mink evening gown? Leelee Sobieski and the current face of Dior, Jennifer Lawrence, and her serious, showstopping culottes looked on with pleasure. Click through our slideshow to see all of that and Alex Wek in a sleek, sheer black plaid dress.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Are You the Marrying Type?
Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
Best Bet: Eve Lom Dynaspot Treatment
- The Cut’s Week in Review
- Male Gaze: James Deen, ‘Bronut’ Pioneer
- Are You the Marrying Type?
- Hair-Swap: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez
- Karl Lagerfeld Released an Emoji App
- 24 Vintage Ladies Celebrating St. Paddy’s Day
- Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
- Twitter, Rape, and Privacy on Social Media
- Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
- The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
- Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
- Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
- Kate Moss’s Little Sister, Regular Aughties Teen
- Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
- Scarlett Johansson Wore a Bow on Her Stomach