Kate Middleton's baby doesn't even have a name yet, but he is the most famous baby in the world. In his two days of existence, the nameless prince has dominated headlines, commandeered cable news, knocked Prince Harry down a notch in the royal succession — and knocked Kimye baby North West down a notch in the rankings for World's Most Famous Infant. How severely has the royal baby overshadowed all other babies? We quantified the hoopla surrounding the birth of Kate's baby, Kim's baby, and all British babies coincidentally born on the same day as Kate's baby (the Royal Mint is offering commemorative silver birthday coins for all 2,013 of them, either in celebration or apology) to better understand the magnitude of this new infant's fame.
Birth Announcement Retweets
• Kate Middleton: 15,424, @ClarenceHouse announces "son."
• Kim Kardashian: 9,215, @KrisJenner confirms birth with "HAPPY FATHERS DAY @kanyewest !!!!!!"
• Silver Coin Babies: 19, @RoyalMintUK explains how to apply for a silver birthday coin.
Baby-and-Me Photo Opportunities
• Kate Middleton: 1, exiting Lindo Wing, one day after birth.
• Kim Kardashian: 0 in 39 days, not counting decoy babies like the one Kris Jenner schlepped around her daytime-TV talk show last week.
• Silver Coin: 1, resting on Southampton baby Adam Miell, one day after birth. Miell was the first baby to receive a commemorative silver birthday coin.
Public Statements About Birth
• Kate Middleton: "We would like to thank the staff at the Lindo Wing and the whole hospital for the tremendous care the three of us have received."
• Kim Kardashian: "I am so blessed to have the support of my family and fans in this beautiful moment."
• Alex Morpeth, 18-year-old eligible for silver coin: "I am still in shock."
• Katherine Kirtley, 24-year-old eligible for silver coin: "We are absolutely over the moon."
• Rebecca Gale, 33-year-old eligible for silver coin: "Her bump was a bit smaller than mine."
• Natia Kavelashvili, 26-year-old who gave birth at the same minute as Kate Middleton: "We always wanted to call her Kate but it seemed like such a coincidence that we couldn't really not."
• Chelsea Stockdale, 25-year-old whose Royal Air Force–pilot husband already returned to active duty: "I doubt Prince William will be going back to work quite as soon."
• Lindsay Spinetto, of Good Morning America's "New Hampshire Mom Doesn't Mind Sharing Limelight With Kate Middleton": "It's really, really cool," even though Americans aren't eligible for coins.
Shop: The Cut's Best Bets
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
From Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
The World’s Easiest Way to Highlight Your Face
A Pregnant Supermodel Explains What She Eats
Meet the Prom Queen of Instagram
Sleater-Kinney on Riot Grrl, Reuniting, and Portlandia
Michelle Obama: No Boy Is Cute Enough to Keep You From Getting an Education
Céline’s Woman-Friendly Triumph
Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
From Our Partners
Thrillist: Things No Self-Respecting Adult Should Be Doing on Facebook
The 21 Sexiest Chuck Bass Moments of All Time
7 Asian Beauty Trends You Need To Try Now
15 Ways You Know a Girl Studied Abroad in Paris
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutAmerican Apparel Files for Bankruptcy
Current shareholders, including Dov Charney, will no longer control the company.Ellie Kemper Thinks Kimmy Schmidt Would Fit In Well In Greenpoint
Nobody bats an eye at the character’s outfits because “everybody there dresses like that.”Sigourney Weaver on Talking to Ronald Reagan About Abortion Rights
He didn’t want to chat.This Santa Monica Loft Is a Neon Escape From New York Winters
Where an Upper East Side couple flees when the cold becomes unbearable.Bright Coats for Cold Days
New York women in winter's least-boring outerwear, from bright-green alpaca fur to leopard-print mohair.The Retired Modeling Agent Who Loves Empire
“I started my own agency — we represented Twiggy — but went off to be assistant to the actor Yul Brynner, who was dating my roommate at the time.”Witness a Photographer’s Affair With Los Angeles
Bruce Davidson captured the city in 1964, and again almost 50 years later.Céline’s Woman-Friendly Triumph
Phoebe Philo remains in touch with what women want to wear.Sleater-Kinney on Riot Grrl, Reuniting, and Portlandia
10 things we learned from their New Yorker Festival panel.Watch the Akris Livestream
And don't count John Galliano out at Margiela yet.5 Things I Want to Wear From Paris: Part 2
Cropped sweaters, a spangled skirt, and more.Cool Cocktail Dresses Inspired by the Philippines
From the up-and-comers behind Mestiza.Jaden Smith and Kesha Partied This Week
Along with Cindy Crawford, Anjelica Huston, Rita Ora, and Lena Dunham.Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Partied in Balmain
Plus: more highlights from Paris Fashion Week's parties, including Jared Leto.Even Barbie Wants Kim Kardashian’s Makeup Artist
Life in plastic, it's fantastic.This Is How You Should Smell for Fall
Hint: not like a pumpkin.8 Actually Good Things That Happened This Week
Baby sea turtles wearing bathing suits and a necklace for your pizza.See All the Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Featuring wooden platforms, velvet robes, and floor-length ponchos.A Lesson in Beauty Grammar at Dior
What "past future perfect" means in terms of hair and makeup.