Paris Hilton had her toy dogs, Amanda Brooks has her horses, and Justin Beiber has his monkey, but as a spread in Tatler’s August issue entitled “Me & My Bird” proves, the true debutantes and the super-rich opt for birds as their beloved pet. Just ask Lauren Santo Domingo (who even gave out birds as gifts at one of her parties). Now don’t assume that any old parakeet from the pet store will suffice. It must be the right species with the right temperament. Here are the eight kinds of birds that are acceptable, from a peck of hens to some dead pheasants.
1. An Aging Parrot Once Owned by a Famous Photographer: 21-year-old Scarlett Carlos Clarke inherited Beano from her father, the late photographer Bob Carlos Clarke. Like any aging former rock star, the now-40-something parrot recounts his days hanging out with the Sex Pistols and taking long drives in a VW beetle while sharing mashed-potato soup and a bath with his pretty twentysomething owner.
2. A Pampered Bird of Prey: Andrew Osborne, master of the Cottesmore Hunt, loves his glinty-eyed Golden Eagle more than anything. Anna, who is a ferocious bird of prey and an avid hunter, has her own chauffeur-driven quadbike and is “treated like an absolute queen,” he says. Osborne may or may not be married.
3. A Child-Friendly Brood of Hens: Six-year-old twins Edith and Issac are the Hunter-boot-wearing owners of a bunch of chickens. Edith, who complains about a chicken’s inability to cuddle, doesn’t quite understand her brother’s attachment to the birds, but acknowledges that things are starting to get weird. “The last time he saw a chicken, he said he wanted to marry it!” she revealed. (See above for possible scenarios of Issac’s adult life.)
4. Shrieking Estate Peacocks That Double As Fox Feed: A chatelaine as glamorous as Rebecca Howard should have birds of equal grandeur. Naturally, Howard allows four peacocks to roam the grounds of Castle Howard. The birds, though beautiful, “make an incredible amount of noise,” she delicately admitted. Probably the reason she’s not mourning the loss of the other 26 peacocks to “local foxes.”
5. Dead Ones: For Jean-Christope Novelli, one acceptable way to “own” birds is to shoot, dress, and use them in a pheasant casserole.
6. The Chicken That Lets You Maintain Your Country Roots: Sophie Ellis-Bextor is a pop star who is married to a rock star, a life that includes “high heels and hangovers and hazy memories.” To help combat the destructive life of a musician, Baxtor keeps her chicken Peeku around to remind her of the rural bliss that comes from collecting eggs in her garden.
7. The Overbearing House Bird: Fashion producer Camilla Johnson-Hill originally bought her adorable little blue bird, Gary, for her stepson's ninth birthday. But the singing, rabbit-torturing, human-head-perching bird is the most beloved member of the Johnson-Hill family. In fact, Johnson-Hill wishes she could have him all to herself.
8.A Royal-Approved Duck Puppet: Let’s be clear, unless your bird puppet is in the running to perform at the royal baby’s third-birthday party, Tatler most likely will not support your ownership of a large, green puppet bird. Lucky for entertainer Keith Harris, Orville has already performed at both Prince William and Prince Harry’s parties, and is insured at over 100,000 pounds. Carry on, Sir Harris!
Shop: Summer Dresses
Most Viewed Stories
I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Blake Lively Reportedly Just Gave Birth, and You’ll Never Guess Who’s Running to the Hospital
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
Angelina Jolie Got Everything She Wanted in Temporary Divorce Deal With Brad Pitt
The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The Cut3 Brilliant Shows From Paris
Balmain, Rick Owens, and Galliano at Margiela deliver.The Mad-Scientist Designer Making Clothes From a Single Thread
Designer Jeanne Vicerial is pushing the limits of what we consider fashion.What Does Girl-Power Makeup Look Like?
Dior’s first female creative director has a simple interpretation.The Mysterious Deaths of Two Sisters in a Luxury Hotel
Annie and Robin Korkki were found dead in a private Seychelles villa.Gwyneth Paltrow Tortures Her Trainer by Playing Justin Timberlake on Repeat
Tracy Anderson admits she hates training Gwyneth Paltrow.Here’s a Depressing But Helpful Suggestion: Buy Your Winter Stuff Now
Because nothing is worse than trudging through a snow pile in a thin coat and leaky boots.Jessica Biel Sees Your Shower Beer and Raises You a Shower Chicken-Apple Sausage
Sounds complicated.In This Life, You Are Either a Barack or a Bill
One's kind of uptight, the other's super chill.Rihanna and Mac Miller Partied This Week
Plus: Karlie Kloss, Ariana Grande, Cam’ron.Treat Yourself: A Pair of Lush Burgundy Boots
Like wearing autumn on your feet.
Ball is life.Cookie Lyon Would Approve of Taraji P. Henson’s Style
Her closet is filled with animal prints, latex, and more.Fashion Week Accidentally Created Lisa Frank Nails
Wish I had these for my first day of school.Angelina Jolie Got Everything She Wanted in Temporary Divorce Deal With Brad Pitt
The actress will get full custody of the couple’s six children.5 Things on Sale You’ll Actually Want to Buy, From Frame Jeans to Nike Flyknits
Including under-$50 earbuds for your iPhone 7.19 Statement Coats for When You Need to Be the Center of Attention
From ASOS to Burberry.Blake Lively Reportedly Just Gave Birth, and You’ll Never Guess Who’s Running to the Hospital
Someone very special is visiting Blake Lively and her brand-new baby.This Actress Has a Great Argument Against Ageism in Hollywood
“You’ll probably be a 70-year-old woman with a 110-year-old boyfriend in a movie, because that’s the age gap that’s allowable.”Stop Wearing Any Accessories Ever.
Fashion Dirtbag weighs in on jazzing up your outfits.Heading Into the Weekend Like …
Same, baby panda.