Now that Alexa Chung is a L'Oreal spokesperson, she's actually paid to talk about hair, and turns out she's very good at it — an illuminating interview with British magazine Stylist contains over 1,100 words on the subject. Below, some choice quotes on hair and breakups, hair on planes, hair on the dance floor, and other hair wisdom that you never had any idea you needed.
1. Topknots require lipstick. "Sometimes I’ve been known to try a topknot, but because I'm obsessed with balancing things out, I'll only wear a topknot with lipstick. Without lipstick on, you're just looking at the topknot."
2. If you go bald, it's not the end of the world. "I actually wouldn't sweat it if my hair fell out. I'd probably get one of those bright Jamaican Rasta hats with dreads attached to it and just wear that."
3. If you're feeling down in the dumps, do not — repeat, do not — do anything to your hair. "Hair is so linked to how we feel and everyone goes for something radical after a break-up, but my advice if you've just suffered heartbreak or you've broken up with someone, is to not touch your hair ... you're not in a fit state to make decisions that are long-term – you'll have to spend the next four years growing it out. Don't have a fringe cut. Don't bleach it. Don't do anything, because you will regret it. Buy a lipstick instead. Go and kiss loads of other people, but don't fucking touch your hair, as you'll still feel sad – and you'll have weird hair. I always think people's hair looks really weird when they're sad anyway. When my friends are heartbroken I can tell that they're sad; their hair just starts looking a bit forlorn. Like when Britney Spears got sad and shaved off her hair. That's the ultimate warning – heed that. If you're not feeling good don't do anything to your hair."
4. Hair affects the way you dance. "If you’ve got long hair you can do the classic girl moves, just swinging your hair from side to side. If you've got short hair you've got to be more creative with your dance moves and inject a little comedy."
5. If you have brown hair, bring hats for plane rides, but if you're blonde, don't worry about it. "Blonde hair seems to just travel really well. If you've got dark, fine hair like mine, then you'll always look crap at the end of a flight, but blondes step off the plane looking really nice and fresh. I fly a lot, so I notice these things. I'd also advise taking a hat when you’re traveling – you'll also look slightly like you're in a band at the airport. I might actually consider keeping my luggage in a guitar case one day.BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
From Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
The World’s Easiest Way to Highlight Your Face
A Pregnant Supermodel Explains What She Eats
Meet the Prom Queen of Instagram
Sleater-Kinney on Riot Grrl, Reuniting, and Portlandia
Michelle Obama: No Boy Is Cute Enough to Keep You From Getting an Education
Céline’s Woman-Friendly Triumph
Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
From Our Partners
The Day I Told The Ugly Truth About My Marriage
How Demi Lovato Embraced This Body “Problem” We All Have
Who What Wear
The Zara Outfit Every Girl In New York City Is Wearing
How This Woman Lost 30 Pounds After Years of Ignoring Her Weight Gain
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesEven Barbie Wants Kim Kardashian’s Makeup Artist
Life in plastic, it's fantastic.This Is How You Should Smell for Fall
Hint: not like a pumpkin.A Lesson in Beauty Grammar at Dior
What "past future perfect" means in terms of hair and makeup.Why Does My Heart Feel Like It’s Exploding?
A girl's guide to chest pain.The World’s Easiest Way to Highlight Your Face
How to strobe like a pro.A Pregnant Supermodel Explains What She Eats
"Don't be afraid of the fat."It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
Hate you, boomers.Inside a Beauty Editor’s Insane Skin-Care Routine
A minimum of 12 products.Pat McGrath Wants You Dipped in Gold
The legendary makeup artist launches an exclusive product.Let’s All Get High on Cold-Pressed Juice!
Juice Crawls just killed nightlife.
"A modern-day romantic comedy."3 Fall Polishes to Express Your Inner Angst
For the #FallGoth inside you.Margiela Did Crazy Beauty, Again
Glam rock meets geisha meets nestlike hair.Dump Someone If You Hate Their Smell
And other revelations from the Hermès perfumers.All You’re Going to Want for Christmas Is Mariah’s M.A.C Collaboration
A Dreamlover of a beauty collection.Do I Make This Quesadilla Look Fat?
A new study suggests that weight bias affects how we perceive food info online.Want Soft Hands? The Olsen Twins Can Help.
Their latest beauty launch is surprisingly effective.The Angelina Jolie of China on Fame and Power
A rare interview with activist actress Yao Chen.Mindy Kaling’s Book Is Full of Beauty Wisdom
Six of our favorite insights.How to Look Amazing in Under 10 Minutes
A makeup artist's everyday skin routine.