Now that Alexa Chung is a L'Oreal spokesperson, she's actually paid to talk about hair, and turns out she's very good at it — an illuminating interview with British magazine Stylist contains over 1,100 words on the subject. Below, some choice quotes on hair and breakups, hair on planes, hair on the dance floor, and other hair wisdom that you never had any idea you needed.
1. Topknots require lipstick. "Sometimes I’ve been known to try a topknot, but because I'm obsessed with balancing things out, I'll only wear a topknot with lipstick. Without lipstick on, you're just looking at the topknot."
2. If you go bald, it's not the end of the world. "I actually wouldn't sweat it if my hair fell out. I'd probably get one of those bright Jamaican Rasta hats with dreads attached to it and just wear that."
3. If you're feeling down in the dumps, do not — repeat, do not — do anything to your hair. "Hair is so linked to how we feel and everyone goes for something radical after a break-up, but my advice if you've just suffered heartbreak or you've broken up with someone, is to not touch your hair ... you're not in a fit state to make decisions that are long-term – you'll have to spend the next four years growing it out. Don't have a fringe cut. Don't bleach it. Don't do anything, because you will regret it. Buy a lipstick instead. Go and kiss loads of other people, but don't fucking touch your hair, as you'll still feel sad – and you'll have weird hair. I always think people's hair looks really weird when they're sad anyway. When my friends are heartbroken I can tell that they're sad; their hair just starts looking a bit forlorn. Like when Britney Spears got sad and shaved off her hair. That's the ultimate warning – heed that. If you're not feeling good don't do anything to your hair."
4. Hair affects the way you dance. "If you’ve got long hair you can do the classic girl moves, just swinging your hair from side to side. If you've got short hair you've got to be more creative with your dance moves and inject a little comedy."
5. If you have brown hair, bring hats for plane rides, but if you're blonde, don't worry about it. "Blonde hair seems to just travel really well. If you've got dark, fine hair like mine, then you'll always look crap at the end of a flight, but blondes step off the plane looking really nice and fresh. I fly a lot, so I notice these things. I'd also advise taking a hat when you’re traveling – you'll also look slightly like you're in a band at the airport. I might actually consider keeping my luggage in a guitar case one day.BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Spotted at the Women’s March
A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
Bernie Sanders Wore the Only Appropriate Outfit to Trump’s Inauguration
Taylor Swift Won’t Save Us From Donald Trump
Madonna to Women’s March Detractors: ‘F*ck You’
The Greatest Signs From the Women’s March
16 of the Cutest Kids at the Women’s March
Here’s What Gloria Steinem Thinks You Should Know About Donald Trump
Over 1 Million New York Women Will Have Access to Free Contraception and Abortions
6 Compelling Things Gloria Steinem Said at the Women’s March
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesWatch: Over Half A Million People Took to the Streets for the Women’s March on Washington
VIDEO: It’s said to be one of the largest mass demonstrations in the history of the U.S.Here’s What Gloria Steinem Thinks You Should Know About Donald Trump
“We think he holds all the power…but that’s not true.”16 of the Cutest Kids at the Women’s March
Kids of all ages marched all over the globe to protest Donald Trump on Saturday.A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
“I witnessed something that gives me hope.”See Photos of the Women’s Marches Around the World
More than 3 million people turned out globally.Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Spotted at the Women’s March
Karlie Kloss’s boyfriend protests in D.C.The Greatest Signs From the Women’s March
See the Cut’s favorites from around the country.Janelle Monáe Reminds Us to Choose ‘Freedom Over Fear’ at Women’s March
Monáe stood alongside the Mothers of the Movement in D.C.The Women’s March Was So Big It Almost Couldn’t March
Attendees far outnumbered the 200,000 organizers planned for.Madonna to Women’s March Detractors: ‘F*ck You’
She expressed herself.
From the Women’s March: “I stand here today most of all because I am my sister’s keeper.”The Women’s March Drew a Much Larger Crowd Than Trump’s Inauguration
A roundup of the worldwide rallies.People Came Out in Droves for the NYC Women’s March
About 100,000 people came out.Here’s Why a Women’s March Organizer Brought Her Baby Onstage
The baby appeared to sleep peacefully throughout.6 Compelling Things Gloria Steinem Said at the Women’s March
“We are united here for bodily integrity.”Over 1 Million New York Women Will Have Access to Free Contraception and Abortions
Andrew Cuomo’s announcement comes alongside the Women’s March.U.S. Border Agents Rejected Some Canadians Headed to the Women’s March
People in at least three groups were reportedly sent home.Here’s How to Livestream the Women’s March on Washington
It’s happening right now.Melania Trump Wears Hervé Pierre to the Inaugural Balls
The former model collaborated with the designer.‘Smells Like Boys’: A Night at the DeploraBall
Partying in Trump’s America.