Now that Alexa Chung is a L'Oreal spokesperson, she's actually paid to talk about hair, and turns out she's very good at it — an illuminating interview with British magazine Stylist contains over 1,100 words on the subject. Below, some choice quotes on hair and breakups, hair on planes, hair on the dance floor, and other hair wisdom that you never had any idea you needed.
1. Topknots require lipstick. "Sometimes I’ve been known to try a topknot, but because I'm obsessed with balancing things out, I'll only wear a topknot with lipstick. Without lipstick on, you're just looking at the topknot."
2. If you go bald, it's not the end of the world. "I actually wouldn't sweat it if my hair fell out. I'd probably get one of those bright Jamaican Rasta hats with dreads attached to it and just wear that."
3. If you're feeling down in the dumps, do not — repeat, do not — do anything to your hair. "Hair is so linked to how we feel and everyone goes for something radical after a break-up, but my advice if you've just suffered heartbreak or you've broken up with someone, is to not touch your hair ... you're not in a fit state to make decisions that are long-term – you'll have to spend the next four years growing it out. Don't have a fringe cut. Don't bleach it. Don't do anything, because you will regret it. Buy a lipstick instead. Go and kiss loads of other people, but don't fucking touch your hair, as you'll still feel sad – and you'll have weird hair. I always think people's hair looks really weird when they're sad anyway. When my friends are heartbroken I can tell that they're sad; their hair just starts looking a bit forlorn. Like when Britney Spears got sad and shaved off her hair. That's the ultimate warning – heed that. If you're not feeling good don't do anything to your hair."
4. Hair affects the way you dance. "If you’ve got long hair you can do the classic girl moves, just swinging your hair from side to side. If you've got short hair you've got to be more creative with your dance moves and inject a little comedy."
5. If you have brown hair, bring hats for plane rides, but if you're blonde, don't worry about it. "Blonde hair seems to just travel really well. If you've got dark, fine hair like mine, then you'll always look crap at the end of a flight, but blondes step off the plane looking really nice and fresh. I fly a lot, so I notice these things. I'd also advise taking a hat when you’re traveling – you'll also look slightly like you're in a band at the airport. I might actually consider keeping my luggage in a guitar case one day.BEGIN SLIDESHOW
Most Viewed Stories
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
Ask Polly: Should I Try to Help My Alcoholic Friend?
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesYour Zits Are Actually Keeping You Young
New research suggest they are nature’s anti-ager.Rihanna’s Paris Fashion Week Show Involved a Lot More Purple Satin Than Anyone Was Expecting
Pastels were a major theme.Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
It’s a beautiful country!College Student Printed Out Her Roommate’s Subtweets and Posted Them in the Dorm in Today’s Best College Drama
She printed out every subtweet and posted them on a bulletin board.The Y Is Back in YSL, But Not Much Else Is Yet
Anthony Vaccarello’s debut collection falls back on label classics. Plus: Young Parisian designers experiment.Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Their 'first tweet' was not impressive.Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
It was inevitable.What’s Going to Happen to Angelina’s Jewelry From Brad?
She has quite a few personal pieces from Brad Pitt that might wind up on the auction block.Models at Margiela Looked Like Rainbow Brite Alien Angels
Cosplay for characters that haven’t been invented yet.Senate Approves Long-Delayed Zika-Funding Bill
The $1.1 billion measure is expected to pass the House later today.
“Campaign stress?”Emma Watson and Justin Trudeau Hold International Wokeness Summit
Rude of them to not invite the American delegate, Matt McGorry.Whoopi Goldberg on Vetements and Burning Bridges
The comedian is trading The View for a higher profile in the fashion world.This Gentle Mask Kills Zits Overnight
And it doesn’t stink.What Really Happens Backstage at the Shows
Runway beauty used to be pretty low-key. Now it’s one of the main events.Gary Johnson Calls in Supernatural Powers for Election Help
Melissa Joan Hart is the new Connecticut chair for the Gary Johnson campaign.Kim Kardashian Assaulted by the Same Guy Who Grabbed Gigi Hadid
He ran up and kissed her ass.The FDA Is Finally Going to Update the Term ‘Healthy’
Currently, foods that are low in fat but high in sugar can use it, which, no.Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Kellyanne Conway made a Freudian slip.Meet the Designer Who Launched a Hit Label From His Apartment
Talking to Atlein designer Antonin Tron about his unconventional debut.