Whether nostalgic relic, eighties memento, or go-to closet staple, the blue denim jacket never goes out of style. Still, one could claim that it is very much "having a moment" right now. Gap's new "Back to Blue" ad campaign is everywhere, highlighting four different outfits in shades of indigo, including one in which a model wears a biker-style jean jacket with her jeans. Daria Werbowy looks chill as ever styled (by Kate Phelan) in a loose vintage Levi's jacket in the September issue of British Vogue. And never one to miss out on a trailblazing trend, Opening Ceremony's Elvis-inspired collection takes cues not only from the icon's songbook, but also rockabilly style. The attraction? It is the perfect experimental piece: Pull it on over a denim shirt in the same shade for a confidently layered look, or tie one around the waist as a nod to Cobain. Try oversize shapes to adopt fall's voluminous look (Denim Refinery offers a wide selection of relaxed vintage styles) or cozy up with Gap's fleece-collared drop-pocket style. In honor of the more exciting half of the Canadian Tuxedo, click ahead to see eleven denim jackets, in varying shapes and shades of blue. No closet should have just one.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Best Bet: Peter Thomas Roth Oilless Oil
Geena Davis’s Two-Step Cure for Hollywood Sexism
The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Jane Larkworthy
- Miley Wants You to Know Her Nudity Is Political
- Best of the Week’s Style Blogs: Chunky Scarves
- Best Bet: Peter Thomas Roth Oilless Oil
- Geena Davis’s Two-Step Cure for Hollywood Sexism
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Jane Larkworthy
- Zoe Saldana Was Ruffled Up at the amFAR Gala
- The Heroic Commutes of Abortion Providers
- Beyoncé Just Dropped an Album With No Warning
- SNL Auditioned Black Female Cast Members
- Susan Sarandon Was High at Most Hollywood Events
- How to Wish List Like a Pro: Wanelo Wish Lists
- Givenchy Casts Erykah Badu in Ads, High Five!
- There’s a Six-Hour Line for the Trendiest Selfie
- The Best and Worst of December Fashion Magazines
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 13 Days to Go!