We knew Sunday night’s MTV Video Music Awards were going to have big moments — the 'N Sync reunion alone blew up both Twitter and the loins of at least two generations — but after a lackluster few years of VMA fashions, we were concerned the red carpet would be a dimly populated yawn. We needn’t have fretted: Celebrities apparently took Justin Timberlake’s presence and Lady Gaga’s return to action as some kind of call to crazy arms. Here are our favorite wildly weird outfits from last night’s VMAs — but only the red-carpet part, because frankly, we’re still trying to process what happened onstage with Miley Cyrus, and that might take a few weeks.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 4 Days to Go!
- The Best Stuff on the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Irresistible Idris Elba
- Meet WWLTD: The ‘Opening Ceremony of Mexico’
- Weekend Must: Visit Dover Street Market New York
- Virgil Abloh Is Inspired by Martha Stewart
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 5 Days to Go!
- Why Spike Jonze’s Her Has High-Waisted Pants
- Poet Starlets Fear Nothing, Not Even Lady Parts
- Now You Can Wear Kitty-Cat Flats On Your Nails
- 2013: The Year in Butts
- Well, This Proposal Video Is a Blatant Ad
- Rich Couples Choose to Use the Bathroom Together
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Susie Lau
- 10 Dazzling, Wearable Shoes for New Year’s Eve