Unlike actual parties, the fun of going out during Fashion Week isn’t so much in the going out itself, but the people you see while you’re out. Yes, each and every one of these well-dressed preeners can be spotted during daylight — mere hours earlier, at whatever fashion show they’ve dressed up for — but to see them all in one dark, free-Champagne-filled room is a study in engineered social hierarchies. You ask yourself several questions, all at once: Wait, she’s a lesbian now? Has that drunk guy in a suit ever had a job? Did that Parsons student make her own shoes? And what’s the one thing that bloggers and models have in common? (The answer: Both only arrive in groups, together, of no less than three.) To help make sense of the throngs — whether you’re gawking across the room or just from your computer screen — the Cut asked Peter Arkle to illustrate the ten types of people you see at fashion parties. Just like when he drew the folks you see at Fashion Week, we’re not naming names.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Rebecca Black Finally Made It to ‘Saturday’
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 18 Days to Go!
- The Best of the Cut This Week
- Male Gaze: The Naked Warwick Rowers Are Baaack
- The 11 Best Pre-Fall 2014 Looks (So Far)
- See: A Harper’s Cover Shot by Erik Madigan Heck
- Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- Decoding the Campy, Disheveled Girls Poster
- Burn After Reading: 2013 Holiday Candle Guide
- Time Editor Is a One-Woman Paycheck Fairness Act
- Facebook Could Add a ‘Sympathize’ Button
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 19 Days to Go!
- Decoding Drew’s Nails to Learn About Her Womb
- Messy-Haired Sky Ferreira: New Face of Redken
- Karolina Kurkova, Steven Tyler, & More at Basel