We’re back! And since it’s impossible to keep track of everything happening in one day of Fashion Week, the Cut will be compiling the most incredible moments from the shows, the scene, and all associated social media in our exhaustive (and, maybe exhausting?) Hit List. First things first: Suzy Menkes says the schedule is all wrong. Everyone who is not famous is chatting about how they have “allergies,” but we’re probably just sharing the same rhinovirus – are e-cigarettes better for that than regular cigarettes? Like a mobile humidifier, sorta? Good thing day one was a light one – Creatures of the Wind was the big win aesthetically, even if it didn’t quite draw the same audience as Costella Tagliapietra or BCBG. But who's counting? Below, a summation of Thursday’s most memorable moments. Birkenstocks are back, green-eye makeup is already a thing, celebrities trekked (troke?) to Brooklyn and made it back alive. And us? We’re feeling like SNL’s Stefon. This, too, shall pass.
1. First out the gates: Wednesday night, Rachel Comey threw an intimate party, in Brooklyn, as if to test who would agree to travel all the way to Red Hook. Celebrities in attendance: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Rashida Jones, Zosia Mamet, Greta Gerwig, Parker Posey. We refuse to count how many of these women already live in Brooklyn.
3. So, we hate to admit this, but Vogue was right. Everyone is, actually, wearing Birkenstocks this season. We have to assert that the new Tabitha Simmons x Creatures of the Winds flats would win in a footwear cage-match.
Birkenstock tally so far: 3 pairs spotted since last night. #nyfw— stella bugbee (@stellabugbee) September 5, 2013
5. Street style – that grueling professional sport currently under consideration for the Shoji Olympics — has a new twist this season: It’s all about wearing heavily patterned, matching pants, tops, and even jackets. Makes getting dressed easy, even when traveling with friends.
6. But June Ambrose’s daughter out-dressed them all, wearing this amazing pair of antennae to BCBG.
7. NJOY – everyone’s preferred e-cigarette for “vaping” (yes, that’s a word we need to change) – will be sponsoring NYFW; hopefully-compensated interns are giving everyone free e-cigarettes. Ah, the joys of an unregulated nicotine industry! We’d say this is terrible for June Ambrose’s child, but we could really use the free smokes.
8. Green eyeshadow. For the alien in all of us.
9. Breaking news: The latest in embellishment this season is totally going to be appliques. Move aside sequins, Swarovski crystals, and feathers. Exhibit A: CotW. Exhibit B: Honor. (No more Stefan voice.) (No promises.)
10. In other clothing news, there was also a crop-top invasion at Richard Chai. Four in total. Which means crop tops are sort of like nail art: that thing we declare “dies” and “lives” and is “major” or “not major” but is actually just its own new category of things women (and some men) wear. Like skinny jeans.
11. Seven years after Twitter launched, and three years after Instagram was founded, people in the front row have just one question to ask each other: Are you on Instagram or Twitter? This is an actual question we’ve heard. Like you have to choose, some new form of self-editing. The Cut is on both, obvi.
13. The people who can actually afford expensive watches gathered to celebrate five years of WSJ., a magazine full of expensive watches. Guess where it was?
And you know what’s the best about wearing new fall shoes: Blisters. No Saint Laurent sweaters until it’s actually cold out, okay?
Most Viewed Stories
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Donald Trump Spent the Morning After the Debate Fat-Shaming Miss Universe, Again
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Hillary Clinton’s Sickest Debate Burns
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Area Woman Interrupted by Man 25 Times in 26 Minutes
Our Scowling Hero Breaks a Smile
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.