Throughout New York Fashion Week, we're going behind the scenes to figure out what, exactly, a normal woman can learn from makeup artists, hair people, manicure experts, and models themselves. Sunday brought an overwhelming barrage of insider tips and backstage observations from Lela Rose, Hood by Air, Derek Lam, Zac Posen, Opening Ceremony, DVF, and Band of Outsiders. Below, our newfound wisdom.
1. A universal nude nail polish actually exists. It's tricky to find a nude nail color that doesn't look chalky or garish, especially against darker skin tones. But nail artist Jin Soon managed to create a classic, clean manicure for Derek Lam with the perfect universal warm beige shade. The neutral color is a mix of two polishes, layered over one another: first, she applied JINsoon Nostalgia, a warm pink tone; then she finished with a coat of sheer cream polish, JINsoon Tulle. The result was sophisticated and glossy — a nice change from all of this season's matte nails.
2. Water really will save you. Hungover? Tired? Want perfect skin? Healthy hair and nails? So far, when we've polled makeup artists, stylists, and models like Karlie Kloss, Jourdan Dunn, and Chloe Norgaard for their No. 1 wellness secret, they've all said it's drinking water. Since that hasn't yet turned me into a supermodel, I decided to try a vitamin hit from Berocca, that tablet recommended by Joan Smalls and Holly Rose. I'm not sure it will undo that late-night hot dog, but it tastes like sorbet and health.
3. Creatures of Comfort's gold-leaf manicures are easier to create than they look. Alicia Torello designed an opulent manicure for Creatures of Comfort — a simple nail decorated with random pieces of gold leaf to match the collection's fabrics. Surprisingly, it's quite cheap and easy to replicate: Start by using any base coat you want (like a clear nail polish, although Torello used a triple coat of Del Sol's Spectrachrome color-changing polish in snow white). Then rip up a piece of gold leaf (available at any craft store), and press pieces on the nails. Let it sit for a minute and then finish with a thick top coat, like Seche Vite; don't forget to also seal the tip of the nail. DIY goldfingers!
4. Some runway makeup is definitely, obviously not wearable. From the cosmetically enhanced sunburns and tricolor, oversaturated bold lips at Creatures of Comfort to the graphic neon eye shadow at Delpozo, I finally understand the meaning of "editorial makeup." Just like that bitch lip at Rag & Bone, these are not to be tried at home.
5. But just because it seems wearable doesn't mean it really is. The vibe at Band of Outsiders was "Jan Brady goes to the beach," which included a really lovely "innocent, pinkish beige" gloss applied to the lips. When I asked Shiseido artistic director Dick Page for tips on wearing the dusty-rose lip gloss if you happen to have darker skin (like me), he answered promptly, "Oh, just don't. Unless you're going to do a bold chocolate liner, à la Naomi Campbell. But that's a look I wouldn't recommend." Pass.
Most Viewed Stories
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Democratic Women Senators Are Very Concerned About Donald Trump’s Weight
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesKesha Shows Her Support for Miss Universe Alicia Machado After Being Body-Shamed By Donald Trump
“You did not deserve to be shamed by this monster.”A Glimpse Into Marilyn Monroe’s Private Life
Whoopi Goldberg curated intimate portraits of the icon in a new exhibit, featuring photographs by Milton Greene.Nate Parker Addresses Rape Accusations in 60 Minutes Clip
He went on the record with Anderson Cooper.Paris Fashion Week’s Runways Are Still Overwhelmingly White
It’s been only three days but the numbers are bleak.Misty Copeland Did Her Own Makeup for This Ballet Book
She danced for photographer Gregg Delman's new book.Why Do All My Instagram Cats Keep Dying?
When real life encroaches on the virtual.Hunger Casts a Cruel, All-consuming Spell, Study Confirms
It’s stronger than thirst, fear, or social needs.Female Chess Players Are Furious About Having to Wear Hijabs at the World Championship in Iran
The world championship tournament is in Iran, where women are required to wear hijabs.Man in Tech Actually Admits He Was Wrong
Well, this is a first!The Other Kids in Jennifer Garner’s Daughter’s Class Have a Laptop, Why Can’t She?
Jen told Today she didn’t know tweens need computers.
Bouchra Jarrar’s first collection since taking over from Alber Elbaz at Lanvin.Alyssa Milano on Football, Spinning, and Why She Hates Eating Alone
The mom of two young kids says wellness is a balancing act.The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
Being a royal kid seems like a pretty sweet deal.The Male Model Who Has Appeared on More Romance Novel Covers Than Fabio
Jason Baca talks romance-novel cover modeling and eating a ton of chicken breasts.The Retro Stain Remover I Use on Everything
Don’t mind the smell — that’s how you know it’s working.My Toddler Is Having a Halloween Identity Crisis
She doesn’t want to be someone other than herself.New York Magazine’s ‘Sex Lives’: Can Masturbation Be a Radical Act?
This week’s podcast.Rob Kardashian Had a Childhood Crush on His Sister Kim Kardashian, and Now You Know About It Too
It’s 2016, everybody.We May Never Find Out What Happened Between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
The two have reportedly entered into “private negotiations.”Why Am I Always Tired?
Don't assume it's a health problem.