Yesterday, we learned so many things by creeping backstage at J.Crew, Rodarte, Narcisco Rodriguez, Jenny Packham, Vera Wang, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and Oscar de la Renta. Herewith, useful service journalism — from eye makeup that's still cool to "beach hair" tips that actually work.
1. The “cool girl” eye makeup: Bold lips appear to be the makeup go-to for everyone hip and stylish next season, but James Kaliardos insists that the eyes really are the windows to cool. For cool-girl savants at Rodarte, Kaliardos says to embrace the flick. To get one that enhances the eye, rather than makes you look like Amy Winehouse, he recommends starting with a line drawn from the middle of the eye to the outer corner, rather than the inner corner. "That way you have somewhere to go, and our cat eye won't be too heavy. When drawing the next line, from the inner corner to the middle of the eye, use a very thin brush for precision, [and] the flick should be smudgy-sexy, so switch to an eye pencil."
Dick Page, who did the makeup for Marc by Marc Jacobs, agreed. We loved the vibrant blue “crescent, half-moon shape” on the lid. To get that, Page used a mix of icy-blue cream eyeshadow and a cerulean powder applied by following the natural shape of the eye. For both looks, top off with a lot of mascara.
2. Scarf it down. Also, look! Scarves around the hair à la Creatures of the Wind at Marc by Marc. It’s official: new trend!
3. The only beauty product you need: “The most important beauty product is blush. It makes you look like you just had sex,” Page says. And honestly, the best kind of flush is a post-romp flush. To get the look, Page recommends applying a mix of two pink lipsticks, Shiseido lacquer rouge in Metal Rose and Hellebore, directly to the apple of the cheek. Great! At least we have blush as a sex substitute, since nobody is getting laid during Fashion Week, anyway.
4. The definitive beach-hair guide: While variations on “modern beach hair” (seen at 3.1 Phillip Lim, Rag & Bone, Band of Outsiders, Theyskens' Theory, and so many others) range from oil-slicked with some wave, to kind of crunchy with some wave, to oversaturated with mousse and a slight curve, I want to try none of these in real life. J.Crew, the brand with something for everyone, had the best: Bumble & Bumble provided a side-parted beachy hair, with super easy-to-follow instructions: Blow hair straight with a thickening spray, create a deep side part using a comb, and use a medium curling iron to put loose waves in the ends of hair, but only below the ears. Then use fingers to soften curls, add a little bit of Kiehl's cream with "silk groom" to smooth hair from the roots to the ears. Tuck behind both ears, and you have the hair of a J.Crew catalogue model.
5. Faking flawless skin: Laura Mercier makeup artist Talia Shobrook created some seriously gorgeous skin for Jenny Packham. She recommends starting with a primer every time, and following up with carefully applied foundation that matches the skin tone perfectly. (Pro tip: To find the best color match, use your jawline as a test patch.) While we loved the glowing skin of an “innocent young girl,” we were envious of Shobrook’s pregnancy glow. No need. Turns out we can all have the skin of a pregnant woman. “Anyone who says that a pregnancy glow is natural is lying” says Shobrook. “It takes work! I use a moisture surge face mask three times a week for this skin!”
Most Viewed Stories
That Awkward Clip of Donald and Melania at the Inauguration Is Definitely Real
Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Reportedly Spotted at the Women’s March
What You Need to Know About the 89800 ‘Count Me’ Text
A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
Sean Spicer Chews and Swallows 35 Pieces of Gum Every Day Before Noon
Museums Across the World Are Collecting Women’s March Signs
Like Trump, Taylor Swift Cares About Numbers
Calvin Klein Quietly Unveils First Raf Simons Collection
The Future of the Left Is Female
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesMy Super Sweet 16 Is Returning to MTV for a Whole New Generation of Tantrums
Take out your T-Mobile Sidekicks and dial your underappreciated mother/party planner.Kellyanne Conway Reportedly Punched a Man at an Inaugural Ball
Fox Business correspondent Charlie Gasparino claims she threw some punches to break up a fight between “two guys in tuxes.”Jax’s Roast Should’ve Lasted All Episode
Watching Jax Taylor get insulted on camera is oddly satisfying.All 6 of King Henry VIII’s Wives Had Great Style
See costumes from the lavish new period drama.Contrary to What Sean Spicer Says, Taxpayer Dollars Don’t Fund Abortions Overseas
Dissecting Sean Spicer’s statement about the Mexico City Policy.The ‘Natural’ Skin-care Line Sephora Can’t Keep in Stock
All without Kardashian endorsements --- or fragrances.Teens Tell Us Why They Marched
“For the kids in the community that didn’t have the opportunity to go, I want to be able to represent them and break the stereotypes held against us.”That Awkward Clip of Donald and Melania at the Inauguration Is Definitely Real
A short video clip tells all.Was This Your First March? Don’t Stop Now.
The work didn’t end on Saturday.The Future of the Left Is Female
Women’s rights are human rights, and women leaders are progressive leaders.
Who needs concealer?What You Need to Know About the 89800 ‘Count Me’ Text
The organization behind the Count Me In effort provided an update.See All the Fashion Campaigns From Spring 2017
Including Kate Spade’s camel adventure, and a look at Maria Grazia Chiuri’s first ads for Dior.Sean Spicer Chews and Swallows 35 Pieces of Gum Every Day Before Noon
He chews Orbit cinnamon, which is a terrible choice.Guess What Mariah Carey Did to Cheer Up Her Backup Dancer?
It took place onstage.Senator Taking Inauguration Selfie Identified Only As ‘Woman’
SFGate neglected to identify the senator, who was taking a photo with her male colleagues.The Musician on a Date at the NYC Women’s March
This week’s sex diary.Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
The president reinstated the Global Gag Rule on abortion on Monday morning.7 Ways to Wear Cropped Pants in the Winter
Denim, satin, any kind of fabric, we’ve got the answer.Maria Grazia Chiuri Made Her Dior Couture Debut Amid an Enchanted Forest Set