All week, we'll be going behind the scenes to figure out what, exactly, a normal woman can learn from makeup artists, hair people, manicure experts, and models (of course). So much knowledge to be found at Prabal Gurung, Alexander Wang, Hérve Léger, and Altuzarra.
1. Mascara may be going on hiatus. Makeup artists at Prabal Gurung, rag & bone, Altuzarra, and more are skipping mascara this year (unless it's on the brow, as we learned yesterday). At Prabal, makeup guru Charlotte Tilbury declared nude lashes and an eye rimmed with a cool brown eyeliner as the modern, elegant new standard. Val Garland, who created the "rich girl" beauty look for Hérve Léger today, agrees — almost. "In the real world, we love mascara. End of," she says. But she predicts that soon we'll be seeing mascara on the bottom lashes only. Her pro tip — picked up from Kate Winslet — is to apply the stuff using a fan brush instead of the wand. Personally, we live and die by mascara and are terrified at the prospect of bare lashes, but at least we learned this mascara-less eyelash enhancing trick this week.
2. It's okay to use your fingers. Oils and heat from your hands are great for applying thicker creme products, says Charlotte Tilbury, but it's best to use brushes for powders, otherwise you might get a blotchy texture. The exception to the rule, however, is eye shadow when you're going for a natural look. "Use your fingers for anything you want to feel a little more lived in," she advises.
3. White eye shadow and white blush actually look really beautiful. The most interesting beauty concept of the day was at Altuzarra, where Tom Pecheux paired a heavy orange-red lip with white eye shadow and blush. Yes, you read that right. His trick was to keep the skin dewy but very matte, and then dab a white creme eye shadow with the fingertips on both the lids and cheeks. He finished by applying a shimmer-less white eye shadow over the top using a soft, thin brush. To avoid a chalky appearance, the strokes should resemble "a lovely cuddle," he says. We have no idea what that means, but we wish all makeup could be applied that way.
4. Joan Smalls knows her hangover cures. We asked Joan Smalls how she'd survive an early a.m. show call if she'd been out partying late the night before. "Drink a lot of water. Oh, and have you heard of Berocca?" Why, yes we have! She also advises to never go to bed on an empty stomach. "I like comfort food or anything cheesy," she says. "But honestly, I'll take whatever is closet. Beggars can't be choosers at that point in the night."
5. Some trends are better than others. From that shocking lilac lip at Prabal Gurung to the orange pouts at rag & bone and Suno, the over-saturated, matte mouth is going to be everywhere this spring, and we think it's a trend we can get behind. Beauty editors backstage at the shows were sporting similar matte lips in vibrant tones, and it came off as surprisingly wearable! Another new look that might not be as flattering was the slicked-down hair seen at shows like BCBG, Creatures of the Wind, and Prabal. Any hairdo that forces Karlie Kloss to shower multiple times a day might not be one we care to embrace.
Most Viewed Stories
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
What Romance Really Means After 10 Years of Marriage
The Divorced Mom Who Cries After Sex
I’m Anti-Trump, But I Refuse to March
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of January 16
Attention: Meghan Markle Has Now Met Kate Middleton and Princess Charlotte
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesWomen’s March on Washington Drops Anti-Choice Partner After Backlash
The Women’s March on Washington faced criticism after partnering with the anti-choice group “New Wave Feminists.”Jeff Goldblum and Emilie Livingston’s Baby Announcement Is Impressive
It’s a real balancing act.One of Kentucky’s Last Two Remaining Abortion Providers to Close Down
As of January 27th, there will only be one abortion clinic remaining in the state.Bella Hadid Got Two Incredibly Tiny Tattoos
Done by tiny tattoo expert JonBoy.Noor Salman, Wife of Pulse Nightclub Shooter, Arrested on Obstruction Charges
The widow previously said she knew nothing of Omar Mateen’s plans.Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
Atif Aslam wasn’t having it.Mariah’s Manager Writes a Message for Her in Lipstick
It’s on a hotel pillow and involves Mariah’s love life.Teen Who Was Abducted the Day She Was Born Reunites With Birth Family
Meanwhile, the man who raised Kamiyah Mobley and thought he was her father says it’s “a shock.”The Worst Thing About Episode One of The Young Pope: Baby Pyramid
Every week, we’ll tell you the worst thing about HBO’s new series The Young Pope.Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of January 16
The sun moves into Aquarius.
Experts share their best tips.Drake Gave Sasha Obama a Little Shout-out
Who’s a fan of whom here?Taylor Swift’s Home Might Become a Historic Landmark
She’s spent millions on restoring her Beverly Hills place to its 1934 glory.Lady Gaga, Danai Gurira, Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman Signed an Open Letter Supporting Education for Girls
The open letter is from campaigning and advocacy organization ONE.The Divorced Mom Who Cries After Sex
This week’s sex diary.This Pioneering Fashion Photographer Captured Complicated Women
Deborah Turbeville transformed fashion photography in the 1970s.Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
“I love this new world, I no longer have to be politically correct.”Saturday Night Live Takes Aim at The Bachelor’s Nick Viall
You know you’ve made it when SNL makes a sketch about you.British Prime Minister Theresa May Lands Her First Vogue Cover
Annie Leibovitz took the photos.Reese Witherspoon Talks Hollywood’s ‘Smurfette Syndrome’ and the Isolation of Being a Woman in Film
“For 25 years, I’ve been the only woman on set.”