All week, we'll be going behind the scenes to figure out what a normal woman can learn from makeup artists, hair people, manicure experts, and models (of course). Today, we gleaned invaluable lessons at Peter Som, rag & bone, and Suno.
1. Orange is the new everything. So far, there's been grandma-inspired orange lipstick at Creatures of the Wind, neon orange bitch lips at rag & bone, and now a vibrant orange manicure by Maybelline at Suno. We're calling it now: When it comes to beauty, orange is the color for spring 2014.
2. You're wearing blush wrong. The beauty seen on the runway at Suno was a fresh, young twist on grunge. Make-up artist Alice Lane kept things simple by using a lip balm on the eyelids and eyebrows and applying Maybelline's creme blush in Candy Coral directly on the apples of the cheeks. "Anywhere else looks dated," she said. Apply the blush where you'd pinch your cheeks and pat with your fingers for the perfect flush.
3. Mascara is great for brows, too. M.A.C make-up artist Tom Pecheux created a stunning strong brow for Peter Som. His secret: Apply mascara to the brow with a fan brush instead of using an eye pencil. "With a pencil, you're coloring the skin underneath, but mascara catches and enhances every hair." Make sure to let the mascara dry a little bit before applying, though — clumpy brows are a big no-no.
4. This is the best concealer for covering tattoos. The fashion world loves their tattoos, but not always on the runway. To cover up tattoos for certain shows, the go-to product is Kevin Aucoin's skin-enhancing concealer. Select a shade or two lighter than your normal skin and set it with powder that matches your skin tone for maximum coverage. No, worries Cara — make-up artists have you covered. Literally.
5. Stay fizzy, stay healthy. Newcomer Holly Rose swears by the fizzy tablet Berocca to keep her healthy. She dissolves the vitamin-packed supplement in a glass of water every morning. We also liked Karen Elson's bubbly approach — she attributes her glow to exhaustion. "I always stay one hour and one glass of Champagne too long," she joked. Berocca in the morning, Champagne all night? That's a health plan we can get behind.
Most Viewed Stories
Report: Donald and Melania Trump Don’t Sleep in the Same Bed
Former Thinx Employee Accuses Miki Agrawal of Sexual Harassment
Am I Finally Done With White Guys?
Ask Polly: Why Does My Terrible Ex Get to Be So Happy?
Anna Wintour’s Daughter Got Engaged to Franca Sozzani’s Son
Why Millennial Pink Refuses to Go Away
Ashley Olsen Reportedly Broke Up With Her 58-Year-Old Boyfriend
What I Remember About the Moms Who Paid Me to Babysit
When Ivanka Trump Was a Cool Teen, She Reportedly Went ‘Missing’ in Aspen
3 Relationship Counselors On What Big Little Lies Tells Us About Domestic Violence
The Cut’s Latest Beauty Features25 Women on Being Famous
Zadie Smith, Adele, J.K. Rowling, and more on what it’s really like in the spotlight.Beyoncé FaceTimed With a Cancer Patient From Houston
She called a high-school student who has a stage-four diagnosis of cancer.In the Future, Men Might Be Able to Test Their Fertility With a Phone App
A new study shows the results are 98 percent accurate.A New Photography Book Unmasks Fashion’s Glittery Façade
Bling Bling Baby is inspired by ‘90s hip-hop.6 Things We Learned About Miki Agrawal From Her ‘She-E.O.’ Video Series
Illuminating moments straight from the Thinx YouTube channel, including Miki Agrawal talking at you from the toilet.Teenager’s Kittens-Scratching-Trump Site Targeted by Trump Lawyers
A 17-year-old girl received a cease-and-desist letter from Trump for coding a website where people scratch Trump with cat paws.Teenage Girls Say They Were Sexually Assaulted by a Border-Patrol Officer
The girls, then 17 and 19, are seeking damages from the federal government.Cheetos Made an Easter Clothing Line That Helps You Avoid Cheetos Fingers
There are ascots for hands-free snacking and pants with “lapkins.”So, Ivanka Trump Has Reportedly Hired a Hollywood Stylist
There is a (tenuous) Kanye connection.Everybody Loves My Inexpensive, Furry Phone Case
It’s caught the attention of strangers on my daily commute.
And she wants to bring back blue eye shadow.There Will Soon Be a Breastfeeding Woman Emoji
There’s also a pretzel, a dude in a sauna, and some dinosaurs.The Most Popular Men’s Pants Right Now Cost $40
Scruffy hipsters and trend-chasing Vetements wannabes are all wearing Dickies.Ashley Olsen Reportedly Broke Up With Her 58-Year-Old Boyfriend
We’ll always have those photos of them hiking in St. Barts.11 Female Art Professors and Teachers on Their Favorite Female Artists
The second volume in our series where women talk about women.Your Guide to All the Crazy Abortion Legislation Happening in Texas
Texas lawmakers are doubling down.A Teen Boy Is Suing His High School Because He Has to Share Bathrooms With a Trans Student
The suit claims the boy was “emotionally harmed” by sharing a bathroom with a trans student.See All the Ways You Can Wear Chanel’s New VR-Goggles Inspired Bag
It’s their first major new bag since the Boy style in 2011.Why Manic Panic Is Still Cool
The story behind a punk-scene fixture that never died.Pray for the Salvation of This Tiny Pope Prankster