All week, we'll be going behind the scenes to figure out what, exactly, a normal woman can learn from makeup artists, hair people, manicure experts, and models (of course). Today, lessons from BCBG Max Azaria, Honor, Creatures of the Wind, Tadashi Shoji, and Costello Tagliapietra.
1. Dry shampoo is not just for no-shower days. I typically reserve dry shampoo usage for the very end of a blowout cycle, but backstage at both Creatures of the Wind and BCBG, hairstylists employed the stuff to add volume and texture to clean (or clean-ish) hair. Standout products included Bumble and Bumble's revamped Pret-a-Powder and Kerastase's Powder Bluff.
2. Lip gloss is poppin' again. Maki Roye used a clear lip gloss on all the models at Costello Tagliapietra today. A surprising choice, but the look was worlds away from my early-nineties Bonne Bell Lip Smackers associations. In a sea of matte lips, the wet glossy pouts really stood out as a sexy and simple alternative to color. Why bring gloss back now, Maki? Her answer: "Why not! It's time." Enough said.
3. Turn down that curling iron. While demonstrating how to create the tousled, loose ponytail at Honor, stylist James Pecis implored us all to turn down the heat on our curling irons — you can still get a curl without cracking heat up to 11. Have you seen this video? The consequences are real, people.
4. This magic nail trick. Everyone knows you can layer sheer polishes to build color, but Essie's Michelle Saunders loves to layer them over dark shades. A sheer top coat both removes the shimmer of the base color and actually makes the hue richer. It's magic! Saunders recommends navy, coral, or red for maximum impact.
5. Your hair isn't the only thing that needs conditioning. Constant application and removal of mascara makes eyelashes brittle, damaged, and possibly nonexistent. Sephora makeup ambassador Val Gardner told new models at BCBG her secret to keeping eyelashes healthy and growing: Apply the eyelash conditioner Talika morning and night.
6. This is a new way to wear hair scarves. I loved this look from Creatures of the Wind. Similar to tucking your hair into your coat collar in that really chic way, stylists tied a printed scarf around the neck, catching the hair but allowing tresses to stay loose. An added bonus: Your neck will stay warm!
7. Everything in moderation, including moderation. When I asked models how they planned on staying sane and clear-skinned during the week, I got a range of answers. "It's about balance," said Larissa "Larry" Hoffman. "If I want a bit of chocolate, I have it. I have a glass of wine with friends every night. But I also eat fresh fruit and drink water." At Creatures of the Wind, model Tian Yi recommended music. Oddly, she prefers sad, quiet tunes to keep her energized on the runway. Also, she never eats beef as she says it causes pimples. No beef, one glass of wine, sad music — I'll never survive.
Most Viewed Stories
I Worked at Fyre Festival. It Was Always Going to Be a Disaster.
This Fyre Festival Apology Is As Extra As You’d Expect
Famous Guests Were Reportedly Warned Not to Go to Fyre Festival in Advance
Life Lessons From the Great Fyre Festival Disaster
Why Wallflowers Don’t Make Friends
The Kardashians Just Broke Up With the Stylist They’ve Been Using for a Decade
These Tweets Will Make You Very Glad That You Didn’t Spend Thousands of Dollars to Get Stranded in the Bahamas
Why Everyone Loves the Alpha Girl
Busy Philipps Gets Real About Instagram Sponsorships
Why Millennial Pink Refuses to Go Away
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesBella Hadid Addresses Fyre Festival Fallout
Fans were not pleased.Aaron Rodgers Went on a Hot Golfing Date With Baywatch’s Kelly Rohrbach
Is golfing a date? Okay.This Model Narrowly Missed the Fyre Festival Nightmare
She shared her tale with The Hollywood Reporter.This Fyre Festival Apology Is As Extra As You’d Expect
“We thought we were ready, but then everyone arrived.”Elizabeth Warren Wasn’t Particularly Amused by Bill Maher’s Pocahontas ‘Joke’
So awkward.Busy Philipps Gets Real About Instagram Sponsorships
“We all gotta make money.”Here Is Justin Bieber’s $15,000 Rose-Gold Grill
That’s a lot of look.It’s a Girl for Ciara and Russell Wilson
Her middle name is Princess, thank you very much.Revisiting Ellen’s Groundbreaking Coming-Out Episode 20 Years Later
▶️ “Why do I have to be so ashamed? Why can’t I just say the truth? I mean, be who I am.”I Worked at Fyre Festival. It Was Always Going to Be a Disaster.
“We were standing in an empty gravel pit trying to figure out how to build a festival village from scratch”
Inspirational dressing from Mr. James.The Kardashians Just Broke Up With the Stylist They’ve Been Using for a Decade
They’re no longer working with Monica Rose.An Intimate Look Inside the Homes of LGBTQ Americans
Tom Atwood spent 15 years shooting portraits for his new book Kings and Queens in Their Castles.DVF’s New Wardrobe Essentials Are Better Than Basic
DVF's new vision for styling prints with Essentials. #adIt’s 2017 and Sephora Just Launched a Bye Felicia Lip Balm
Timely.Emma Watson and Katie Holmes Partied This Week
Plus: Susan Sarandon, Rita Ora, Julia Garner.The Best Bras for Big Boobs on Amazon According to Reviewers
Make the most of that two-day shipping.Why Wallflowers Don’t Make Friends
Location is everything when you’re trying to meet people.Get the Look: Sly Bird Who Knows All Your Secrets
Because you all want to look like a meme bird.These Tweets Will Make You Very Glad That You Didn’t Spend Thousands of Dollars to Get Stranded in the Bahamas
Instead of the luxury cabanas it promised, the event used disaster-relief tents.