All week, we'll be going behind the scenes to figure out what, exactly, a normal woman can learn from makeup artists, hair people, manicure experts, and models (of course). Today, lessons from BCBG Max Azaria, Honor, Creatures of the Wind, Tadashi Shoji, and Costello Tagliapietra.
1. Dry shampoo is not just for no-shower days. I typically reserve dry shampoo usage for the very end of a blowout cycle, but backstage at both Creatures of the Wind and BCBG, hairstylists employed the stuff to add volume and texture to clean (or clean-ish) hair. Standout products included Bumble and Bumble's revamped Pret-a-Powder and Kerastase's Powder Bluff.
2. Lip gloss is poppin' again. Maki Roye used a clear lip gloss on all the models at Costello Tagliapietra today. A surprising choice, but the look was worlds away from my early-nineties Bonne Bell Lip Smackers associations. In a sea of matte lips, the wet glossy pouts really stood out as a sexy and simple alternative to color. Why bring gloss back now, Maki? Her answer: "Why not! It's time." Enough said.
3. Turn down that curling iron. While demonstrating how to create the tousled, loose ponytail at Honor, stylist James Pecis implored us all to turn down the heat on our curling irons — you can still get a curl without cracking heat up to 11. Have you seen this video? The consequences are real, people.
4. This magic nail trick. Everyone knows you can layer sheer polishes to build color, but Essie's Michelle Saunders loves to layer them over dark shades. A sheer top coat both removes the shimmer of the base color and actually makes the hue richer. It's magic! Saunders recommends navy, coral, or red for maximum impact.
5. Your hair isn't the only thing that needs conditioning. Constant application and removal of mascara makes eyelashes brittle, damaged, and possibly nonexistent. Sephora makeup ambassador Val Gardner told new models at BCBG her secret to keeping eyelashes healthy and growing: Apply the eyelash conditioner Talika morning and night.
6. This is a new way to wear hair scarves. I loved this look from Creatures of the Wind. Similar to tucking your hair into your coat collar in that really chic way, stylists tied a printed scarf around the neck, catching the hair but allowing tresses to stay loose. An added bonus: Your neck will stay warm!
7. Everything in moderation, including moderation. When I asked models how they planned on staying sane and clear-skinned during the week, I got a range of answers. "It's about balance," said Larissa "Larry" Hoffman. "If I want a bit of chocolate, I have it. I have a glass of wine with friends every night. But I also eat fresh fruit and drink water." At Creatures of the Wind, model Tian Yi recommended music. Oddly, she prefers sad, quiet tunes to keep her energized on the runway. Also, she never eats beef as she says it causes pimples. No beef, one glass of wine, sad music — I'll never survive.
Most Viewed Stories
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Every Single Thing You Need to Bring to the Women’s March
The Obamas Visited Malia and Sasha’s Old Swing Set at Its New Home at a D.C. Shelter
Your Guide to NYC Inauguration Weekend Protests
Bella Hadid Is Reportedly ‘Hurt’ by the Weeknd Dating Selena Gomez
How to Live in a 150-Square-Foot Studio
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesHere’s a Handy Map of Places Where You Can Warm Up and Meet Up at the Women’s March
Print it out and keep it handy.Ask Polly: Should I Quit Grad School?
Not just yet.Sexual Assault in the Amazon
As the ayahuasca tourism industry grows, so do accounts of abuse.Bella Hadid Is Reportedly ‘Hurt’ by the Weeknd Dating Selena Gomez
But there was never a betrayal.Karl Lagerfeld Is Rumored to Be Among the Designers Dressing Melania Trump for the Inauguration
If so, he would join Ralph Lauren as the most high-profile designers dressing the incoming First Lady.Rachel Comey on How She’s Mobilizing the Fashion Industry for the Women’s March
She put out a call to her fellow designers.Turmeric Might Not Have Magical Therapeutic Powers After All
A new study shines a skeptical light on turmeric.Republican Men Think Women Have It Better
A new survey found that 51 percent of Republican men think it’s a good time to be a woman in America.Obama Commutes Chelsea Manning’s Sentence
She will be out of prison on May 17.Why Some Parents Are Slaughtering Sophie the Giraffe
Cause of death: a viral article inciting mold fears.
This daydream of a video comes courtesy of Caruso.Please Ignore This Enraging Person at the Women’s March
This week’s “Bermuda Square” comic strip.Activists Are Planning a Queer Dance Party Outside Mike Pence’s Home
The dance is in protest of Pence’s stance on LGBTQ issues.Louis Vuitton Held a Conversation on the Syrian Crisis
The brand has partnered with UNICEF to help the cause.You’re Not Crazy, Trump Really Is Giving You More Migraines
The election has been a headache for migraine sufferers.Female Zebra Shark Gives Up on Shark Men and Mates With Herself
After being separated from her mate for three years, Leonie the shark reproduced asexually.Hillary Clinton Supporter Ralph Lauren Will Dress Melania Trump for Inauguration
The designer will reach across the aisle — or design room.Your Guide to NYC Inauguration Weekend Protests
Not making it to D.C.? Here are some local options.See All the Best Street Style From Milan Men’s Fashion Week
Wide-leg pants, puffer coats, lots of red.Fake News, Fake Science and Why Doctors Lie About Abortion
The consequences of bad information about women’s health.