All week, we'll be going behind the scenes to figure out what, exactly, a normal woman can learn from makeup artists, hair people, manicure experts, and models (of course). Today, lessons from BCBG Max Azaria, Honor, Creatures of the Wind, Tadashi Shoji, and Costello Tagliapietra.
1. Dry shampoo is not just for no-shower days. I typically reserve dry shampoo usage for the very end of a blowout cycle, but backstage at both Creatures of the Wind and BCBG, hairstylists employed the stuff to add volume and texture to clean (or clean-ish) hair. Standout products included Bumble and Bumble's revamped Pret-a-Powder and Kerastase's Powder Bluff.
2. Lip gloss is poppin' again. Maki Roye used a clear lip gloss on all the models at Costello Tagliapietra today. A surprising choice, but the look was worlds away from my early-nineties Bonne Bell Lip Smackers associations. In a sea of matte lips, the wet glossy pouts really stood out as a sexy and simple alternative to color. Why bring gloss back now, Maki? Her answer: "Why not! It's time." Enough said.
3. Turn down that curling iron. While demonstrating how to create the tousled, loose ponytail at Honor, stylist James Pecis implored us all to turn down the heat on our curling irons — you can still get a curl without cracking heat up to 11. Have you seen this video? The consequences are real, people.
4. This magic nail trick. Everyone knows you can layer sheer polishes to build color, but Essie's Michelle Saunders loves to layer them over dark shades. A sheer top coat both removes the shimmer of the base color and actually makes the hue richer. It's magic! Saunders recommends navy, coral, or red for maximum impact.
5. Your hair isn't the only thing that needs conditioning. Constant application and removal of mascara makes eyelashes brittle, damaged, and possibly nonexistent. Sephora makeup ambassador Val Gardner told new models at BCBG her secret to keeping eyelashes healthy and growing: Apply the eyelash conditioner Talika morning and night.
6. This is a new way to wear hair scarves. I loved this look from Creatures of the Wind. Similar to tucking your hair into your coat collar in that really chic way, stylists tied a printed scarf around the neck, catching the hair but allowing tresses to stay loose. An added bonus: Your neck will stay warm!
7. Everything in moderation, including moderation. When I asked models how they planned on staying sane and clear-skinned during the week, I got a range of answers. "It's about balance," said Larissa "Larry" Hoffman. "If I want a bit of chocolate, I have it. I have a glass of wine with friends every night. But I also eat fresh fruit and drink water." At Creatures of the Wind, model Tian Yi recommended music. Oddly, she prefers sad, quiet tunes to keep her energized on the runway. Also, she never eats beef as she says it causes pimples. No beef, one glass of wine, sad music — I'll never survive.
Most Viewed Stories
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
Jaden Smith on the Many Subtle Flavors of Water
Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Unveiled Their Baby on Instagram
Taylor Swift’s Squad Begged Kim Kardashian for Mercy
The National Nightmare Is Over: Kim Kardashian Will Vote for Hillary
Gigi Hadid Fought Back Against a Creepy Stranger Who Grabbed Her
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesThe Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Megan Mullally, and Sean Hayes want you to feel FOMO.Emma Watson Helped Make A Short Film to Inspire You, Ladies
Jump those hurdles. Swing from a chandelier.Get Gender-Free Fashion Delivered to Your Hotel Room
Best room service ever.Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis Are Having A Girl
It’s yet another reason to be #NeverTrump.The Newsroom Meets Mad Men in the First Trailer for Amazon’s Good Girls Revolt
Revolt away, girls.Arrest Made in Pippa Middleton iCloud Photo Hack
The hacker reportedly offered The Sun and The Daily Mail 3,000 pictures for a large sum of money.The National Nightmare Is Over: Kim Kardashian Will Vote for Hillary
She’s with her.Dolce & Gabbana Was an Italian Lovefest
The theme was Tropico Italiano.Watch the Salvatore Ferragamo Livestream
Enjoy!Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Unveiled Their Baby on Instagram
Her name is Dusty Rose Levine. Awwww.
Houston’s Solid Gold Beauty Supply received the Queen Bey herself.Brad Pitt Probably Won’t Face Prosecution for Child Abuse
The Brangelina Divorce Machine marches on.North West Is a Pretty Great Flower Girl
Brides, prepared to be upstaged.The Kids From Stranger Things Are Hanging Out With Nicolas Ghesquière
Millie Bobby Brown, Caleb McLaughlin, and Gaten Matarazzo hit up Louis Vuitton’s HQ in Paris.A ‘Cagney & Lacey-Esque’ Police Drama Is Currently in Development at ABC
Bring. On. The Female. Detectives.Kylie Jenner’s Getting Sucked Into Tyga’s Debt Problems
She’ll have to answer questions under oath in the latest lawsuit against him.Lauren Hutton and Gigi Hadid Make the Best Intergenerational Model Pair
It was a major moment.Your Basement Gym Is No Match for These $10 Million Wellness Amenities
The two superstar brokers of Million Dollar Listing New York fame discuss.The NFL Is Taking Steps to Recruit More Women
It’s part of a major push for gender equality.Obsessively Testing the Best White Jeans to Wear All Year Round
When it comes to white denim, the only rule is that it should flatter you.