Fashion Week is officially over! We've learned so much from skulking around backstage and polling models, makeup artists, and the rest for their beauty secrets. Here's the final round of lessons from the whirlwind backstage visits to Elizabeth and James, Marc Jacobs, Marchesa, and Anna Sui.
1. Plum is already the new orange: It's been eight days of seeing orange on eyes, nails, and lips. And to be honest, I've got serious hue fatigue and it's not even spring yet. Thanks, Gucci Westman, who offered an alternative with this punky, spring-appropriate plum lip at Marchesa. Dark purple sounds like it's just for fall, but Westman blended two lipsticks together and added a layer of iridescent purple eyeshadow to keep it light for spring. We might have called the orange trend early, but we're team spring plum, now.
2. Ostrich feathers are best for hair adornment: To match the punky makeup at Marchesa, Odile Gilbert of Kérastase wanted to make party hair with edge. After giving the models a "natural, textured blowout," she glued black feathers to strands of hair, because, you know, punk can be fancy, too. But, don't think any old bird feather will do. Gilbert recommends using only the soft, downy feather of an ostrich because "it floats in the wind."
3. Have a bathroom backup plan: While backstage at the Lincoln Center tents during the day, I could never find a bathroom. After Day Three, I kind of just assumed there was some Narnia-esque VIP space, but no, it turns out I just kept walking past the long row of Porta Potties, not realizing they were bathrooms. But even my delusions of Fashion Week grandeur couldn't mask the natural properties of a row of bathrooms in a small space. I opted to sneak into the PJ Clarke's across the street.
4. Side parts vs. center parts. I've always understood the importance of part placement when it comes to face shape. But at Anna Sui, where the hair was long, curly, center-parted elfin hair, I learned that a part also divides historical eras! When you're wearing hair big and curly, a center part is romantic, Victorian; a side part turns you into a disco queen, stylist Garren says. It's like a time machine in a comb.
5. Impromptu backstage haircuts, the good and the bad: For the Elizabeth and James presentation, Mark Townsend gave models a sleek, textured, low ponytail. But the real hair magic happened when Mary-Kate Olsen sat down and asked for her first haircut in ten years. Townsend, who understands how to give girls that perfect imperfect cool hair, chopped off five inches. Mary-Kate looked awesome. I had to resist snapping an Instagram of her sheared hair on the floor. As far as impromptu haircut improvements go, this was in stark contrast to the improvised wig chop backstage at Marc Jacobs, where models wore platinum-blonde wigs, cut into a bowl cut. Stylist Guido used "scissors, razors, whatever we could find to cut" to get the uneven, choppy style. While he intended for the models to look like "that cool girl who cuts her own hair," I call this look "3-year-old who just discovered scissors."
Most Viewed Stories
Report: Donald and Melania Trump Don’t Sleep in the Same Bed
Former Thinx Employee Accuses Miki Agrawal of Sexual Harassment
Am I Finally Done With White Guys?
Ask Polly: Why Does My Terrible Ex Get to Be So Happy?
Why Millennial Pink Refuses to Go Away
Ashley Olsen Reportedly Broke Up With Her 58-Year-Old Boyfriend
So, Ivanka Trump Has Reportedly Hired a Hollywood Stylist
The Most Popular Men’s Pants Right Now Cost $40
When Ivanka Trump Was a Cool Teen, She Reportedly Went ‘Missing’ in Aspen
Anna Wintour’s Daughter Got Engaged to Franca Sozzani’s Son
The Cut’s Latest Beauty Features22 Women on What Breastfeeding Actually Feels Like
From how nursing is like peeing, to what being bitten feels like, to sexual side effects.The New Health-Care Bill Could Mean Insurance Doesn’t Have to Cover Pregnancy
Republicans are lobbying to ditch Obamacare’s essential health benefits.Here’s What It Really Means to Have a Romantic Type
A new study says who we date is largely based on our own desirability and where we live.Whitney Museum Denies Legitimacy of Call From Open Casket Artist to Remove Controversial Painting
New information about the “Open Casket” controversy has come to light.John Mayer Misses Katy Perry, Says He’s a Good Guy Now
The 39-year-old musician is attempting a comeback.Teen Who Claimed She Was Abducted and Raped by 3 Black Men Made It All Up
Police say Breana Harmon Talbott lied about the alleged crime that caught the attention of many on the far right.Cate Blanchett on the Judgment of Women, Face Mists, and How She’s Moisturized for Over a Decade
And her favorite sunscreen.What to Wear to Survive Spring in the City
Spring 2017 wardrobe essentials. #adTia Mowry on Skin Care, Hip-Hop Yoga, and How Eating Well Helps Her Endometriosis
And the wellness secret she shares with her sister.This Video Highlights How Ridiculous the Justice System Can Be for Rape Survivors
Tatiana Maslany stars in a fake Funny or Die infomercial for the “Sexual Assault Survivor Utility Kit.”
Zadie Smith, Adele, J.K. Rowling, and more on what it’s really like in the spotlight.Beyoncé FaceTimed With a Cancer Patient From Houston
She called a high-school student who has a stage-four diagnosis of cancer.In the Future, Men Might Be Able to Test Their Fertility With a Phone App
A new study shows the results are 98 percent accurate.A New Photography Book Unmasks Fashion’s Glittery Façade
Bling Bling Baby is inspired by ‘90s hip-hop.6 Things We Learned About Miki Agrawal From Her ‘She-E.O.’ Video Series
Illuminating moments straight from the Thinx YouTube channel, including Miki Agrawal talking at you from the toilet.Teenager’s Kittens-Scratching-Trump Site Targeted by Trump Lawyers
A 17-year-old girl received a cease-and-desist letter from Trump for coding a website where people scratch Trump with cat paws.Teenage Girls Say They Were Sexually Assaulted by a Border-Patrol Officer
The girls, then 17 and 19, are seeking damages from the federal government.Cheetos Made an Easter Clothing Line That Helps You Avoid Cheetos Fingers
There are ascots for hands-free snacking and pants with “lapkins.”So, Ivanka Trump Has Reportedly Hired a Hollywood Stylist
There is a (tenuous) Kanye connection.Everybody Loves My Inexpensive, Furry Phone Case
It’s caught the attention of strangers on my daily commute.