All week, we'll be going behind the scenes to figure out what, exactly, a normal woman can learn from makeup artists, hair people, manicure experts, and models (of course). Herewith, lessons from yesterday's backstage at Lisa Perry and Veronica Beard.
1. Skip mascara. To enhance eyelashes without mascara, just apply a thin line of black cream eyeliner right at the lash line and smudge with a Q-tip. You don't need to apply a thick line of eyeliner, according MAC makeup artist Luc Bouchard, who told me this at Lisa Perry.
2. Ponytails are actually hard. The perky, casual ponytail created by Frederic Fekkai's team for Lisa Perry's tennis-themed SS14 collection may seem like a totally effortless hairstyle, but it actually takes a blow-dryer, a curling iron, three different products, and two different kinds of hair ties to accomplish.
3. Essential Oils for Your Nails. According to Essie nail artist Casey Herman, who created the nails for Vanessa Beard, the fastest way to remove nail polish is to use 100 percent pure acetone, with a little bit (a drop or two) of vitamin E oil or jojoba oil added to protect the skin.
4. Keep foundation away from your lips. To contrast with the bright colors at Veronica Beard, the makeup was all about gritty, earthy neutrals, including a smoky eye comprised of earth and espresso eye shadows. To match, Bobbi Brown's Marc Reagan opted for a cocoa lip, which might be the go-to nude for spring-summer (but we're just getting started here). His one tip: Do not apply foundation to lips first to help even out lip tone; the color will just look milky.
5. And, uh, the models are really naked. Owing to the pre-show time crunch and a general sense of security about their bodies, it turns out that models get, like, really naked backstage (which was a surprise to me). Like. Really naked. In really small spaces where it's often difficult to squeeze by without getting really intimate with their nakedness. But, when they are dressed, leather seems to be the go-to in off-duty-model fashions at the moment — I saw so many people backstage lounging in leather leggings, leather skirts, leather vests, etc. Noted.
Most Viewed Stories
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
Misty Copeland Did Her Own Makeup for This Ballet Book
Blac Chyna Tweets Out Rob Kardashian’s Phone Number As an Apparent Warning to His Fangirls
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesSolange Might Not Tour Because of Her Son’s Basketball Schedule
Ball is life.Cookie Lyon Would Approve of Taraji P. Henson’s Style
Her closet is filled with animal prints, latex, and more.Fashion Week Accidentally Created Lisa Frank Nails
Wish I had these for my first day of school.Angelina Jolie Got Everything She Wanted in Temporary Divorce Deal With Brad Pitt
The actress will get full custody of the couple’s six children.5 Things on Sale You’ll Actually Want to Buy, From Frame Jeans to Nike Flyknits
Including under-$50 earbuds for your iPhone 7.19 Statement Coats for When You Need to Be the Center of Attention
From ASOS to Burberry.Blake Lively Reportedly Just Gave Birth, and You’ll Never Guess Who’s Running to the Hospital
Someone very special is visiting Blake Lively and her brand-new baby.This Actress Has a Great Argument Against Ageism in Hollywood
“You’ll probably be a 70-year-old woman with a 110-year-old boyfriend in a movie, because that’s the age gap that’s allowable.”Stop Wearing Any Accessories Ever.
Fashion Dirtbag weighs in on jazzing up your outfits.Heading Into the Weekend Like …
Same, baby panda.
Hari Nef, so many coats, rainbow tassels.Cool New Paris Fashion Trend: Feminism
Dior models walked in T-shirts with political slogans.Pregnant Women Told to Consider Avoiding Southeast Asia Because of the Zika Virus
Same goes for women trying to get pregnant.Donald Trump Urges Voters to ‘Check Out’ Alicia Machado’s Sex Tape
The Republican nominee decides the best way to combat allegations of misogyny is to slut-shame the woman making them.Michelle Obama Writes Essay for The Fader Encouraging Kids to Be Cool, Stay in School
The Princeton grad doesn’t care about your plan to achieve viral success.Is the Cast of Girls Going to Be Okay?
Lena Dunham and Allison Williams seem to be taking things particularly hard.Alcohol Will Make You Happier Instantly, As You Probably Know From Experience
Scientists say alcohol has the same effect as a rapid antidepressant.Vetements Taps Margiela Alum
The design collective will hire Margiela’s Nina Nitsche.The One Thing My Husband and I Have Never Fought About? Money.
Buying a Coke can feel as loaded as buying a new home.Democrat PAC Now Using a Pack of ‘Beauty Queens’ to Combat Trump
That’s certainly one tactic to try.