All week, we'll be going behind the scenes to figure out what, exactly, a normal woman can learn from makeup artists, hair people, manicure experts, and models (of course). Today we picked up tips while looking for outlets at 3.1 Phillip Lim, Donna Karan, Thom Browne, Maki O, Carolina Herrera, and Theyskens' Theory.
1. How to get model skin (maybe): Early mornings and late nights, passed hors d'oeuvre, and free Juice Generation green juices as meals are taking a toll on my skin. It would be fine if my day wasn't spent watching models have their perfect skin get even more perfect. Today, I asked for some much-needed skin help. The team at Theyskens' Theory uses La Roche-Posay Spring Water spray to refresh the skin and recommends spritzing the skin after getting off the subway. Model Liu Wen swears by the Nutritious face mask by Estée Lauder she applies every night before bed. Unfortunately, it's only available in China at the moment, and her other tip (avoiding alcohol) will probably not happen. However, I will try Tom Pecheux's idea: Before applying makeup, his team massages moisturizers into the models' skin, which makes the skin more pliable, so makeup takes better. He recommends all ladies (and men) take the extra step before applying any sort of foundation. "Take some time to love yourself and your skin will glow."
2. Eyelids are sexy: I've generally avoided using gloss on the eyelids, but after seeing the sexy, shiny, undone makeup at Theyskens' Theory, makeup artist James Kaliardos might have convinced me otherwise. For the look, he used a clear gloss on the eyelid and mascara, but no eyeliner. "Every woman can do this. Women look beautiful in eyeliner, but there's something sexy about what we don't see. The eyelid can be very sexy," he said. I knew that rule applied to, say, knees or clavicles, but eyelids ... news to me!
3. How to diffuse a tease: The hair at Thom Browne was insane (literally, the models were meant to look like they were in an insane asylum), teased and sprayed with white texturizing spray from Bumble and bumble. Unlike Karlie Kloss, most models don't have time to go home and wash their hair (that's what the bathroom sink is for!), but stylist Jimmy Paul has the secret for calming down an intense, bird's nest tease without hair ending up in a knot. Start by brushing the hair down, then apply shampoo to dry hair to help soften. Wash, wash again with more shampoo and then condition, condition, condition. Easy-ish. Hope there is more than one sink in a backstage bathroom.
4. Teachable makeup moments can be found in all backstage makeup: I'll admit, yesterday, I threw a little shade on the high-concept looks from Hood by Air, Delpozo, and Creatures of Comfort. But today, I was wowed by the makeup backstage at Thom Browne. The spooky artistry was stunning and original, but I also wanted that perfect red lip. (Albeit, not smeared like a crazy clown.) While both theatrical lipsticks the team used are discontinued, M.A.C's lip liner in Cherry is a great substitute. First, line the lips to get the perfect lip outline, then fill in with the pencil. And if you want to look like a scary Thom Browne mental patient (Halloween?), all you need to do is smudge.
5. The secret to charging your iPhone: All week, my battery has been hovering around six percent. If you're also at Fashion Week and you find yourself with a dying phone, try the Smart Water-sponsored charging stations backstage at Milk Studios; the Apple Store on 15th Street and Ninth Ave. (they play top 40 and have ample seating); and the plentiful outlets at Pier 59, where almost every guest at the Opening Ceremony party last night could be found "just waiting until they got to 20 percent." But never, ever, plug your charger into the power strips in hair and makeup. Not that I tried. Or got yelled at.
Most Viewed Stories
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Donald Trump Spent the Morning After the Debate Fat-Shaming Miss Universe, Again
Hillary Clinton’s Sickest Debate Burns
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Area Woman Interrupted by Man 25 Times in 26 Minutes
Our Scowling Hero Breaks a Smile
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesMen Who Protested Ryan Lochte’s Presence on Dancing With the Stars Are Charged With Misdemeanors
Two men were charged with two counts of misdemeanors on Monday.Serena Williams Refuses to ‘Stay Silent’ About Racial Inequality
“It’s not how far we have come but how much further still we have to go.”Young Girl Calls for End to Police Brutality in Heartbreaking Speech
It’s a devastating plea.The Y Has Returned in a Big Way to YSL
This is what Saint Laurent looks like post-Hedi.The Most Dramatic Backstage Photos You’ll See All Fashion Month
Preview the book Landon Nordeman: Out of Fashion.Even 100 Years Ago, People Were Worried About Technology Ruining Relationships
An old cartoon echoes some very modern anxieties.This Lipstick Was Designed by a Woman Who Can See 100 Million Colors
Maureen Seberg can see so many more colors than you.Brad Pitt Skipping Premiere to Focus on ‘Family Situation’
The actor may be gearing up to tell his side of the story in the tabloids this week.Please Help Wesley Snipes Find His Leather Jacket
He will be cold without it.The President of NARAL on What Abortion Means in This Election
It signals how the candidates feel about women.
The stretch feels like a backbend—but for your feet.Amy Schumer Just Broke a Major Milestone for Women in Comedy
She’s the first woman to land on Forbes’s list of the highest-paid comedians.The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
An ambitious woman and the angry men who want to stop her.Ivanka Trump Is Great for Women, Says Man Married to Ivanka Trump
Ivanka Trump is the perfect person to handle “women’s issues,” according to her husband.World’s First 3-Parent Baby Is a Healthy Boy
He was born in Mexico to Jordanian parents.Nation Recovers From Post-Debate Hangover With Mary J. Blige and Hillary Clinton Memes
“What will you do to fix the national epidemic of hateration in this dancerie?”The Hottest Party of the Year Is This 6-Year-Old’s Drake-Themed Birthday Party
It has everything: an OVO cake, Drake balloons, fake money.See Haute Couture’s Most Romantic Looks
Intricate pieces, out for a stroll around Paris.Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
TMZ reports that all the baby-shower drama stems from a breakup.Fashion Bloggers Do Not Deserve This Backlash
Neiman Marcus jumps on Vogue’s bandwagon and blames social media for declining sales.