Socks are to winter what pedicures are to summer: a bright, personal touch when paired with the right shoes. Out of thousands of boots now in stores, we picked the ones we most look forward to wearing — ankle-bone-skimming beatnik boots courtesy of Miu Miu, Balenciaga's now-iconic cutout boot, the fail-proof classic riding boots from Sartore, very sexy thigh-high flat boots from Alexander Wang — and paired them with socks or stockings that we think would be the most fun to wear underneath. Peeking out from the tops or scrunched down as your own inside joke, as demonstrated on Celine's fall runway, your socks can be a decisive styling statement. Click on to see all 50 of our favorite combinations.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
The Beckham ‘Wedding Crown’ Failed to Sell
Spring in Reverse: Backs Take Center Stage
Best Bet: Joe Fresh Pleated Tuxedo Shirt
- The Beckham ‘Wedding Crown’ Failed to Sell
- Spring in Reverse: Backs Take Center Stage
- Amy Adams Covered Herself in Black Lace
- Harry Styles Takes Kendall Jenner to a Gay Bar
- Best Bet: Joe Fresh Pleated Tuxedo Shirt
- Defense Bill Deal Delays Sexual Assault Vote
- Outfit of the Week: Warm, Wintry Colors
- Eyelid Art Is the New Nail Art
- The Cut’s Advent Calendar: 16 Days to Go!
- Michelle Obama Got a Farrah Fawcett Hairdo
- Why We Can't Let Men Off the Hook on Housework
- Lab Rat: Are Honey Masks Terrible and Sticky?
- Nicki Minaj Got a Boob Cake for Her Birthday
- The Cut’s Fashion Secret Santa: Simon Doonan
- Obstinate Seal Traps Newlyweds on Remote Island