Socks are to winter what pedicures are to summer: a bright, personal touch when paired with the right shoes. Out of thousands of boots now in stores, we picked the ones we most look forward to wearing — ankle-bone-skimming beatnik boots courtesy of Miu Miu, Balenciaga's now-iconic cutout boot, the fail-proof classic riding boots from Sartore, very sexy thigh-high flat boots from Alexander Wang — and paired them with socks or stockings that we think would be the most fun to wear underneath. Peeking out from the tops or scrunched down as your own inside joke, as demonstrated on Celine's fall runway, your socks can be a decisive styling statement. Click on to see all 50 of our favorite combinations.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Photo: Christie Goodwin/Getty Images
% Agree View the Top 100
Date Miley Cyrus by Dressing Exactly Like Her
Kim and Kanye Deny Versailles Wedding
Kimye, Michelle Williams, and More at Art Basel
- Date Miley Cyrus by Dressing Exactly Like Her
- Kim and Kanye Deny Versailles Wedding
- Kimye, Michelle Williams, and More at Art Basel
- Best Bet: Hive and Honey Military Twill Pants
- Cressida Bonas’s Baby Book: What Does It Mean?
- Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid?
- Is Sex a Workout?
- ‘Hard-Wired’ Sex Differences Are Meaningless
- Adam Levine Doesn’t Brush His Teeth
- Lena Dunham and Judy Blume Talk Sixth-Grade Lies
- Meet Naja, the Do-Good Lingerie Line
- Dame Edna, Bearer of Holiday Cheer
- Ms. Blue Ivy Carter, Too Cool for Pre-School
- Happy Birthday, Jeff Bridges!
- Famous Person Dares to Wear Dress More Than Once