At the annual Melbourne Cup, held Tuesday at the Flemington Racecourse, jockeys galloped around the track on their thoroughbreds as ladies in Easter-egg-colored fascinators looked on. Gai Waterhouse's horse, Fiorente, ended up winning the Cup, but the most engrossing side event that afternoon was, hands-down, head-topper-watching. Dita Von Teese showed up in a structural white-orchid-adorned headpiece created by Philip Treacy; Coco Rocha wore a black Nerida Winter fascinator with an enormous bow and netting that shrouded her face; and Kate Upton perched a crimson creation with netting and black roses atop her head. Netted baseball caps, bedazzled headbands, metallic hair chains, mini geometric structures, and golden turbans also made an appearance alongside the requisite feathers and flowers. Click through the slideshow for a dose of inspirational headwear — and see how it compares to the volume-defying hats that commanded our attention at the Royal Ascot.
The Obama FamilyCritics’ Pick
Are You the Marrying Type?
Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
Best Bet: Eve Lom Dynaspot Treatment
- The Cut’s Week in Review
- Male Gaze: James Deen, ‘Bronut’ Pioneer
- Are You the Marrying Type?
- Hair-Swap: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez
- Karl Lagerfeld Released an Emoji App
- 24 Vintage Ladies Celebrating St. Paddy’s Day
- Shoe Gaze: Maiyet’s Black Embroidered Wedges
- Twitter, Rape, and Privacy on Social Media
- Welcome to the Dictionary, C-nty!
- The 50 Best Backs From Fashion Month
- Vanessa Friedman Will Not Be Cathy Horyn
- Obama and His Dad Jeans Through the Years
- Kate Moss’s Little Sister, Regular Aughties Teen
- Terry Richardson Speaks Amid ‘Witch Hunt’
- Scarlett Johansson Wore a Bow on Her Stomach