This week's pursuit of relevant, women-related topics led Cut writers to contend with "male" literature, experiment with OkCupid profiles, quantify heartbreak, and find the hidden women in photographs. Here are a dozen things we learned this week:
1. How do you measure a broken heart? Maureen O’Connor writes about translating heartbreak into data — call it the "quantified selfie."
2. Who knows what men want on OkCupid — men or women? Jillian Goodman asked her male friends and female friends to write two different OkCupid profiles for her. She got some dates!
3. How do you read, girl? An excerpt from n+1’s collection of conversations on reading as a woman, No Regrets.
4. What men are men attracted to? Just a bunch of hotties. Forty, to be exact.
5. What changes are afoot for Fashion Week? Allison Davis writes that some possible changes could save Fashion Week.
6. What celebrity photos had hidden meanings? Lots! Drew Barrymore wore coded nail polish; Cressida Bonas carried a book on baby psychology; Beyoncé dealt with her temporary veganism by wearing pizza clothes.
7. Why do people balk when men say they're bisexual? Ann Friedman writes about a double standard.
9. What does the most fantastical hair look like? Julia Ma spoke to Laurent Philippon about the soon-to-be-released 320-page tome entitled Hair: Fashion and Fantasy.
10. What was behind that outpouring when Paul Walker died? Ann Friedman addresses our sadness.
11. What do we really want for Christmas? An anonymous Cut list about what we actually, actually would like for Christmas.
12. What year is it? Oh, it's another effing year of the effing hipster.
Most Viewed Stories
Mary-Kate Olsen Strains Every Muscle in Her Face in an Attempt to Smile
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesAva DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.Santigold’s New Video Is the Result of a Spontaneous Run-in With Kara Walker
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Spotted Together Again, Love Might Be Real
They could be back together ahh!Teen, Forced to Go on Vacation With Her Family, Calls 911
The logical decision.Report: Hearst Fired Seventeen EIC Michelle Tan During Her Maternity Leave
Tan had been at the magazine for about two years.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.Unknown NFL Player Tries to Get Attention by Asking Aly Raisman Out in Video
That’s one way to do it.
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.Miles Teller Is Still Upset About Being Called a Dick
He wants to set the record straight.Why Parents Shouldn’t Talk About Weight With Their Teens
New guidelines seek to banish weight talk.UVA Student Assaulted at Knifepoint During Orientation Weekend
But some students weren't notified until 24 hours later.