Cressida Bonas, the cool-girl girlfriend of Prince Harry, was photographed arriving at a Christmas carol service in London yesterday with a stack of books, a stack of rings, and a big red folder. The book facing the camera was called Why Love Matters. It holds a multitude of meanings.
Why Love Matters is not actually a book about romance and wooing. It’s a semi-academic psychological examination of why a baby’s initial exposure to intimacy and love helps to develop his brain.
So why is Cressida Bonas accessorizing with nonfiction baby books? Let us theorize.
• She's carrying the baby book to fool Harry into thinking she's pregnant, because the couple just loves playing psych! with each other via paparazzi snaps. (He's on some wild, two-week trek through the South Pole. It's really an ideal time for long-distance mind-games.)
• She’s wielding the book to mess with the queen. Next, she'll be walking in with Tropic of Cancer or something shocking to frighten QEII out of her sensible shoes.
• Alternatively, Queen Elizabeth II gave Bonas material about child development so that she could begin to prepare herself in case she's obliged to produce a future second-fiddle royal babe.
• She's studying up to become a teacher: The other book she was carrying was called Perspectives on Play, a teaching guide.
• Bonas wants to avoid boredom. She's going to a caroling event. She straight up needs some better reading material than holly-jolly nonsense. She plans to tuck that book into the huge red folder in front of some "Good King Wenceslas" and sing about Good King Cortisol and the frontal cortex.
• She’s delivering the book to Kate Middleton, in anticipation of a complicated and judgmental gifting power play. Here, Cressida, I wrapped up some scrunchies for you. I heard crushed velvet is your thing.
• She has a general interest in developmental psychology, which is generally an interesting subject. Eh. Whatever.
From the perspective of someone who's always trying to avoid organized drudgery masked as a group merriment, I think that she's simply trying to keep herself entertained. But gifting power plays seem like a very royal activity, so that theory might hold water.
Most Viewed Stories
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Democratic Women Senators Are Very Concerned About Donald Trump’s Weight
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesThe Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.Santigold’s New Video Is the Result of a Spontaneous Run-in With Kara Walker
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Spotted Together Again, Love Might Be Real
They could be back together ahh!Teen, Forced to Go on Vacation With Her Family, Calls 911
The logical decision.Report: Hearst Fired Seventeen EIC Michelle Tan During Her Maternity Leave
Tan had been at the magazine for about two years.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.Miles Teller Is Still Upset About Being Called a Dick
He wants to set the record straight.Why Parents Shouldn’t Talk About Weight With Their Teens
New guidelines seek to banish weight talk.