Cressida Bonas, the cool-girl girlfriend of Prince Harry, was photographed arriving at a Christmas carol service in London yesterday with a stack of books, a stack of rings, and a big red folder. The book facing the camera was called Why Love Matters. It holds a multitude of meanings.
Why Love Matters is not actually a book about romance and wooing. It’s a semi-academic psychological examination of why a baby’s initial exposure to intimacy and love helps to develop his brain.
So why is Cressida Bonas accessorizing with nonfiction baby books? Let us theorize.
• She's carrying the baby book to fool Harry into thinking she's pregnant, because the couple just loves playing psych! with each other via paparazzi snaps. (He's on some wild, two-week trek through the South Pole. It's really an ideal time for long-distance mind-games.)
• She’s wielding the book to mess with the queen. Next, she'll be walking in with Tropic of Cancer or something shocking to frighten QEII out of her sensible shoes.
• Alternatively, Queen Elizabeth II gave Bonas material about child development so that she could begin to prepare herself in case she's obliged to produce a future second-fiddle royal babe.
• She's studying up to become a teacher: The other book she was carrying was called Perspectives on Play, a teaching guide.
• Bonas wants to avoid boredom. She's going to a caroling event. She straight up needs some better reading material than holly-jolly nonsense. She plans to tuck that book into the huge red folder in front of some "Good King Wenceslas" and sing about Good King Cortisol and the frontal cortex.
• She’s delivering the book to Kate Middleton, in anticipation of a complicated and judgmental gifting power play. Here, Cressida, I wrapped up some scrunchies for you. I heard crushed velvet is your thing.
• She has a general interest in developmental psychology, which is generally an interesting subject. Eh. Whatever.
From the perspective of someone who's always trying to avoid organized drudgery masked as a group merriment, I think that she's simply trying to keep herself entertained. But gifting power plays seem like a very royal activity, so that theory might hold water.
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
From Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
Michelle Obama: No Boy Is Cute Enough to Keep You From Getting an Education
A Pregnant Supermodel Explains What She Eats
The World’s Easiest Way to Highlight Your Face
Meet the Prom Queen of Instagram
Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
Stop Time-Traveling to Such Lame Eras, Losers
From Our Partners
The Eye Makeup Tip That Will Put Plastic Surgeons Out of Business
How This Woman Lost 30 Pounds After Years of Ignoring Her Weight Gain
Next Week/This Week: Watching the Watchmen
Who What Wear
Explore Inside Coco Chanel's Famous Parisian Apartment
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War Features8 Actually Good Things That Happened This Week
Baby sea turtles wearing bathing suits and a necklace for your pizza.Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
Take that, sportscasters.A Comprehensive Taxonomy of Men With Long Hair
And why we like them anyway.Teens Are Dying From Train-Track Photo Shoots
The popular photo destination is actually super-dangerous.‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
Ed Houben has fathered 106 children — that he knows of.The Internet of Parents Is Miserable and I Love It
Why it's so hard to look away.Did the ‘Maxipad Bandit’ Really Think He’d Escape?
Not so fast, mister.Woman Driven From Her Home by Death Threats After Starting Pro-Choice Hashtag
The hashtag drew intense scorn from anti-abortion activists.Ice-Cold Teens Don’t Hesitate to Block Their Exes
"I’m just like this is irrelevant now.”Let Sorority Girls Instagram Themselves in Peace
Come on, man.
Whether you're Lena Dunham or an emerging writer, the format has an appealing intimacy.The Bennifer Years Affected Matt Damon More Than Anyone Else
It's just really hard when your buddy breaks up with J.Lo, you know?Someone Used Gasoline to Set a Los Angeles–Area Planned Parenthood on Fire
Police believe gasoline was used as an accelerant to burn down the Thousand Oaks facility.Michelle Obama: No Boy Is Cute Enough to Keep You From Getting an Education
"Compete with the boys. Beat the boys."Stop Time-Traveling to Such Lame Eras, Losers
You have a choice, people.New ‘Yelp for People’ Will Let You Rate Everyone You Know
Kind of like Lulu, or Hot or Not, or ...Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is Glad She Was Trained in the ’60s
She's glad she was trained in the Mad Men era.Lena Dunham Apologizes for Joking About Abuse
"When I heard my own quote I was like, 'Jesus, Lena, no.'"Desperate Republicans Attack Planned Parenthood Chief’s Salary
"The disrespect, the misogyny rampant here today tells us what is really going on."Blake Lively’s Lifestyle Is No Longer for Sale
She will Goop no more.