If the 2013 Grammys were about seeing how close you could come to violating the officially mandated boobs and butts ban, 2014 was the year of the really dumb hat. Madonna showed up in a three-piece suit, grillz, and wide-brimmed pimp hat, Willie Nelson wore an almost identical ensemble, as did Yoko Ono. But nothing shut down the red carpet quite like Pharrell Williams who, in a four-foot misshapen forest ranger's hat, was somewhere between Smokey Bear and the Arby's logo. From Madonna's grillin' moment to Jamie Foxx referring to his daughter as his "seed," behold, the most awkward moments on the Grammys red carpet:
1. Ryan Seacrest, you should know by now: When you see something, say something. And yet, during his two-minute interview with Pharrell Williams, the forest-ranger hat went completely unacknowledged. If you have an Arby's sign on your head, at least maybe mention it?
2. The height differences all over the carpet were distracting: Producers, if Kevin Hart is going to be interviewed on the red carpet, put him with fellow short person Ryan Seacrest rather than the seven-foot Giuliana Rancic. And, similarly, for God’s sake, Taylor Swift should be nowhere near Seacrest when she is in heels – for both his ego, and for us, who had to listen to their mutual back-patting eat up air time. Shorts with shorts, talls with talls.
3. Ciara — whose baby bump eats Club Sandwiches and hangs out with Pucci's Peter Dundas in Milan — was the most beautiful pregnant woman we’ve seen on a red carpet anywhere, all season. Hands down.
4. Katy Perry's bun: She may have looked lovely and feminine in her couture Valentino dress, but Katy Perry’s hair-thing resembled Scylla, the six-headed monster from the Odyssey. Either that, or a really lovely neck pillow on a long flight.
5. Giuliana Rancic, in her red flowery cutout dress, met Colbie Caillat, in an almost identical red, flowery cutout dress. And they said nothing. We just sat here, jaws on the floor, stunned that Giuliana didn’t try to make “Hashtag twinsies!” happen.
6. Madonna is, simply, “grillin’”— a verb that no longer applies to flipping your patties, but to an attitude of blasé nonchalance, when you are wearing a mouth full of diamonds, a pimp cane, sparkling gloves, a matching tuxedo to your 8-year-old son, and fielding annoying questions from a gnat called Ryan Seacrest. Just. plain. grillin’.
7. The Creepiest Way to Introduce Your Daughter: “This is my seed.” Thank you, Jamie Foxx, for sprinkling your seed all over the Grammys.
8. Robin Thicke was too busy helping Paula Patton paint on her appliqué lion heads to notice what he was wearing – and, when asked on the red carpet, didn’t have the foggiest. So, groping around for a label in his jacket lapel, Thicke discovered he was wearing Armani. And maybe for the last time.
9. Lurking behind the froufy gown of Kacey Musgraves, the perfect curls of Ariana Grande, and the best-friend cheer of Taylor Swift, was the quiet, menacing, completely frightening Slipknot Clown.
10. Dear, dear, Cyndi Lauper, with her single-breath ramble in a thick Bronx accent, quickly solidified herself Jacqueline Bisset of the Grammys.
11. When Ozzy and Kelly Osbourne saw each other on the red carpet, they mumbled complete nonsense at each other for 30 seconds of air time, while Giuliana pretended to understand what was happening.
12. In what we hope was an act of solidarity, Madonna, Yoko Ono, and Willie Nelson banded together in black suits and pimpy top hats — an act of open defiance against E!'s Mani-cam and the Glam Clam 360.
Most Viewed Stories
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
Ask Polly: Should I Try to Help My Alcoholic Friend?
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutBrad Pitt Reportedly Takes Voluntary Drug Test, Is ‘Cooperating Fully’ With DCFS Investigation
After reportedly being accused of child abuse.Kate Hudson Would Like to Date Someone Who’s Funny, Hot and — Oh Yeah, Looks Like Brad Pitt
She told Howard Stern about the qualities she’s looking in a man.Kim Kardashian Assaulted by the Same Guy Who Grabbed Gigi Hadid [Updated]
She’s reached out to French officials after he ran up and kissed her ass.Your Zits Are Actually Keeping You Young
New research suggest they are nature’s anti-ager.Rihanna’s Paris Fashion Week Show Involved a Lot More Purple Satin Than Anyone Was Expecting
Pastels were a major theme.Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
It’s a beautiful country!College Student Printed Out Her Roommate’s Subtweets and Posted Them in the Dorm in Today’s Best College Drama
She printed out every subtweet and posted them on a bulletin board.The Y Is Back in YSL, But Not Much Else Is Yet
Anthony Vaccarello’s debut collection falls back on label classics. Plus: Young Parisian designers experiment.Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Their 'first tweet' was not impressive.Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
It was inevitable.
She has quite a few personal pieces from Brad Pitt that might wind up on the auction block.Models at Margiela Looked Like Rainbow Brite Alien Angels
Cosplay for characters that haven’t been invented yet.Senate Approves Long-Delayed Zika-Funding Bill
The $1.1 billion measure is expected to pass the House later today.Democratic Women Senators Are Very Concerned About Donald Trump’s Weight
“Campaign stress?”Emma Watson and Justin Trudeau Hold International Wokeness Summit
Rude of them to not invite the American delegate, Matt McGorry.Whoopi Goldberg on Vetements and Burning Bridges
The comedian is trading The View for a higher profile in the fashion world.This Gentle Mask Kills Zits Overnight
And it doesn’t stink.What Really Happens Backstage at the Shows
Runway beauty used to be pretty low-key. Now it’s one of the main events.Gary Johnson Calls in Supernatural Powers for Election Help
Melissa Joan Hart is the new Connecticut chair for the Gary Johnson campaign.The FDA Is Finally Going to Update the Term ‘Healthy’
Currently, foods that are low in fat but high in sugar can use it, which, no.