If the 2013 Grammys were about seeing how close you could come to violating the officially mandated boobs and butts ban, 2014 was the year of the really dumb hat. Madonna showed up in a three-piece suit, grillz, and wide-brimmed pimp hat, Willie Nelson wore an almost identical ensemble, as did Yoko Ono. But nothing shut down the red carpet quite like Pharrell Williams who, in a four-foot misshapen forest ranger's hat, was somewhere between Smokey Bear and the Arby's logo. From Madonna's grillin' moment to Jamie Foxx referring to his daughter as his "seed," behold, the most awkward moments on the Grammys red carpet:
1. Ryan Seacrest, you should know by now: When you see something, say something. And yet, during his two-minute interview with Pharrell Williams, the forest-ranger hat went completely unacknowledged. If you have an Arby's sign on your head, at least maybe mention it?
2. The height differences all over the carpet were distracting: Producers, if Kevin Hart is going to be interviewed on the red carpet, put him with fellow short person Ryan Seacrest rather than the seven-foot Giuliana Rancic. And, similarly, for God’s sake, Taylor Swift should be nowhere near Seacrest when she is in heels – for both his ego, and for us, who had to listen to their mutual back-patting eat up air time. Shorts with shorts, talls with talls.
3. Ciara — whose baby bump eats Club Sandwiches and hangs out with Pucci's Peter Dundas in Milan — was the most beautiful pregnant woman we’ve seen on a red carpet anywhere, all season. Hands down.
4. Katy Perry's bun: She may have looked lovely and feminine in her couture Valentino dress, but Katy Perry’s hair-thing resembled Scylla, the six-headed monster from the Odyssey. Either that, or a really lovely neck pillow on a long flight.
5. Giuliana Rancic, in her red flowery cutout dress, met Colbie Caillat, in an almost identical red, flowery cutout dress. And they said nothing. We just sat here, jaws on the floor, stunned that Giuliana didn’t try to make “Hashtag twinsies!” happen.
6. Madonna is, simply, “grillin’”— a verb that no longer applies to flipping your patties, but to an attitude of blasé nonchalance, when you are wearing a mouth full of diamonds, a pimp cane, sparkling gloves, a matching tuxedo to your 8-year-old son, and fielding annoying questions from a gnat called Ryan Seacrest. Just. plain. grillin’.
7. The Creepiest Way to Introduce Your Daughter: “This is my seed.” Thank you, Jamie Foxx, for sprinkling your seed all over the Grammys.
8. Robin Thicke was too busy helping Paula Patton paint on her appliqué lion heads to notice what he was wearing – and, when asked on the red carpet, didn’t have the foggiest. So, groping around for a label in his jacket lapel, Thicke discovered he was wearing Armani. And maybe for the last time.
9. Lurking behind the froufy gown of Kacey Musgraves, the perfect curls of Ariana Grande, and the best-friend cheer of Taylor Swift, was the quiet, menacing, completely frightening Slipknot Clown.
10. Dear, dear, Cyndi Lauper, with her single-breath ramble in a thick Bronx accent, quickly solidified herself Jacqueline Bisset of the Grammys.
11. When Ozzy and Kelly Osbourne saw each other on the red carpet, they mumbled complete nonsense at each other for 30 seconds of air time, while Giuliana pretended to understand what was happening.
12. In what we hope was an act of solidarity, Madonna, Yoko Ono, and Willie Nelson banded together in black suits and pimpy top hats — an act of open defiance against E!'s Mani-cam and the Glam Clam 360.
Most Viewed Stories
Mary-Kate Olsen Strains Every Muscle in Her Face in an Attempt to Smile
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
Latest News from The CutNaomi Watts and Liev Schreiber Are Separating After 11 Years Together
“The best way forward for us as a family is to separate as a couple.”Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
Preview the book Brigid Berlin: Polaroids.Morning Sickness May Suck, But It’s Actually a Sign of a Healthy Pregnancy
An upside to the nausea.2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
Vogue called blogging “pathetic,” and bloggers were not pleased.I Can’t Believe I Like This Victoria’s Secret Beauty Product
And why you’ll love it, too.Cheap Thrill: The Perfect Pair of High-Waisted Jeans
Swedish denim label Dr. Denim is here to make denim shopping a lot easier.Vanderpump Rules Drama Is the Only Constant in This Crazy Thing We Call Life
Season five arrives on November 7.Emily Kinney on Life After The Walking Dead
Her new show Conviction premieres next Monday on ABC.5 Things on Sale That You’ll Actually Want to Buy: From Saint Laurent Jeans to an Isabel Marant Sweater
We dug through the internet to bring you some great deals.Here’s One Reason Why Women Are Underrepresented in Politics
It starts at the local level.
They also have a Fourth of July block party.My Favorite Fruit-Shaped Hand Cream Doubles As a Pill Holder
Can also hold gum, almonds, and paper-clips.Mary-Kate Olsen Strains Every Muscle in Her Face in an Attempt to Smile
It was a good effort.A Weekend of Hair Envy With Rubi Jones
Including an impromptu Weasley family look for a Potter-themed party.All It Took for Anti-Vaxxer to Admit She Was Wrong Was Her Entire Family Getting Sick
Rotavirus made her change her tune.Aparna Nancherla on Sad Girl Twitter, Period Tech, and Vocal Fry
The comedian has a new season of Womanhood coming out soon.Tom Hiddleston Caught Deep in Conversation With a Dog
Hiddleston's canine companions steal the show in his new Gucci ads.More of the Best Street Style From Milan Fashion Week
Sleeveless fur, seashell coats, and Jourdan Dunn in schoolgirl plaid.To the Eternal Relief of Amanda Chantal Bacon, Father John Misty Has Deactivated His Twitter and Instagram
Amanda Chantal Bacon’s good crystal vibes have worked in her favor.Decadent Jewels in the Midst of Destruction
Where diamonds and rubies collide with the grotesque.