This week's pursuit of woman-relevant topics led Cut writers to block their mothers on Twitter, defend their hideous gym clothes, and write the history of the nude body stocking.
1. What "big lie" should you confront? The falsehood of the fertility timetable, according to Tanya Selvaratnam, a Sri Lankan-American performer, writer, producer. Vanessa Grigoriadis interviews her.
2. How should you rethink your working-out wardrobe? You can go full-tilt toward the ugliest rejects of your closet, you can try some of these way-retro garments (leg lifts in heels!), or buy cool new pieces for the gym.
3. Who should you seek to make some contact with? Well, did you carefully peruse Craigslist's Missed Connections after New Year's Eve? Erica Schwiegershausen collected some of the best. There is ralphing, peeing, and kissing — and somehow it's all pretty cute.
4. What "daring" fashion choice should you consider in its historical context? Why, the nude body stocking, of course. Upon the debut of Britney Spears's sparkly Las Vegas debut, Isabel Wilkinson and Sally Holmes got the rundown on this garment.
5. How should you best aim to repair some family tension? Just try blocking your mother on Twitter.
6. What fashion divides should you consider crushing? Allison Davis considers a Times piece on the division and influence of Street Style versus Fashion in 2013.
7. What should you gaze upon, immediately? Kathleen Hou interviewed MAKE cosmetics creative director Ariana Mouyiaris on their Erik Madigan Heck collaboration. Slideshow of his Polaroid-inspired vision included.
Most Viewed Stories
Why Did Everyone Act Like I Was Crazy When I Decided to Have a Baby in My 20s?
It Sure Looks Like Diane Kruger Is Dating Norman Reedus Now
Rereading The Handmaid’s Tale, One Month Into the Trump Era
Woman Framed by Ex-Boyfriend’s Wife in Craigslist ‘Rape Fantasy’ Plot Speaks Out
People Everywhere Agree That Justin Trudeau Has a Good Butt
Karl Lagerfeld Calls Out Meryl Streep for Canceling an Order for a Chanel Dress
Taylor Swift Is Not Going to Be Happy About This New Friendship
Someone Paid $2,000 to Provide Us With This Terrible Billboard
Sports Illustrated’s New Curvy Model on Fitness, Staying Healthy, and Embracing Her Body
Ask Polly: I Overshared My Way Out of a Boyfriend!
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesA Holiday Season Weekend Through London
A good guide for avid The Crown fans.It’s About Time You Learned Tove Lo’s Name
The singer has crafted pop hits you’ve heard a thousand times by now.Marina Abramovic Has Outlasted Her Lovers and, She Hopes, Her Critics
The world's most famous performance artist at 70.The Wing: Do Women Still Need a Space of Their Own?
This exclusive social club for women, is part sorority, part start-up.In Virtual Reality, Women Run the World
A new generation of female artists is making VR the most diverse corner of the male-dominated tech space.The Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.Unknown NFL Player Tries to Get Attention by Asking Aly Raisman Out in Video
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.