Broad City, a scrappy web series by Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer, got its big small-screen premiere last night on Comedy Central. Amy Poehler loved the mini-shorts, and she produced it as a half-hour show. You can be just like Amy Poehler in that you, too, can take this playful show into your heart, beginning by catching up on the web series.
It's a slice-of-life show, but Broad City has many wild and weird slices, so it's more akin to a super fun, crazy pie. In addition to this solid analogy about a sketch-comedy-sitcom pastry, here are a handful of other reasons you might want to dig in:
1. Broad City is fantastic at comparing two different female perspectives on the same subject. "Date Night" and "Commuting" are both examples of how two people might approach romance, or waking up in the morning.
2. It's got a rare unicorn in its "female Bill Murray character," as Willa Paskin notes in her Slate review. Ilana Grazer's character is a new type of female character to television — a woman with no filter and no cares to give.
3. In addition to the show, Abbi Jacobson is behind this adorable lost letter project. She received a letter at her apartment that was sent in 1944, and became dedicated to trying to find the recipients of the forgotten correspondence. So historic and sentimental.
4. The web series is absolutely consumable. The episodes of the web series are each just three or four minutes long. Much is accomplished very quickly — a yoga class, plus time to dive into a pile of doughnuts and devolve into exasperation.
5. It's so real, but it's also outstandingly ridiculous, oscillating between nuanced observations and exaggerated goofing. Their conversations match the theme in that they are winding and natural, but also absurd. For example, Ilana and Abbi's mutual understanding that one person's Laura Linney can be another person's Nicki Minaj.
6. It just has good energy. This is hard to define, but I think the "I Heart New York" episode does it well!
Most Viewed Stories
Elizabeth Warren Just Said What Most Women Wish They Could to Donald Trump
I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
Blake Lively Reportedly Just Gave Birth, and You’ll Never Guess Who’s Running to the Hospital
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
The Mysterious Deaths of Two Sisters in a Luxury Hotel
Here Are the 5 Most Random Anecdotes From Tiffany Trump’s New York Times Profile
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
It’s Time to Stop Writing ‘I Hope You’re Well’ in Emails
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesThe Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.Santigold’s New Video Is the Result of a Spontaneous Run-in With Kara Walker
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Spotted Together Again, Love Might Be Real
They could be back together ahh!Teen, Forced to Go on Vacation With Her Family, Calls 911
The logical decision.Report: Hearst Fired Seventeen EIC Michelle Tan During Her Maternity Leave
Tan had been at the magazine for about two years.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.Miles Teller Is Still Upset About Being Called a Dick
He wants to set the record straight.Why Parents Shouldn’t Talk About Weight With Their Teens
New guidelines seek to banish weight talk.