With a fresh coat of snow on the ground, Monday was the day that finally forced the die-hard fancy-footwear enthusiasts into more sensible shoes. We saw loads of Nikes and Stan Smiths (snow-sensible, if not entirely snow-optimal) paired with everything from leather sweatpants to long skirts over pants. One smart editor we chastised for her apparently bare legs under ripped jeans clued us into her secret: nude ice-skating tights. Seasonally appropriate and Olympic-themed. She wins.
The shows ran the gamut: There were enormous turtlenecks at The Row, and even more enormous pants at Rosie Assoulin; thick incense, crosses, and pews at Thom Browne; and a welcome amount of leg at Donna Karan. From Solange at Milly to Taylor Schilling needing a nap, see our best moments from Monday.
1. The theme of Thom Browne’s collection evolved from the asylum to the church this season. His show made big references to Fellini's Roma, even using the same music by composer Nino Rota, from the famous scene of a Vatican fashion show. Watch the Fellini, below, because it’s funny to imagine the front row bloggers resembling the blasé papal dignitaries in red.
2. Everything is better when gilded. If you doubt us, just watch this guy gluing gold onto a Thom Browne jacket like he was playing the piano:
3. It was family day: As anyone who works in fashion knows, it takes a village to make a collection. So it was lovely to see some of that acknowledgment spread around today. At the end of the 11:15 showing of The Row, the Olsens came out to take their bows, trailed by what must have been their entire team of fifteen (or more) people. At Milly, the designer came out to bow and promptly scooped up her two children. Meanwhile, downtown, Rosie Assoulin introduced her guests to her large extended family, aunt, husband, and father; and at the Opening Ceremony talk with the Business of Fashion, Carol Lim's and Humberto Leon’s mothers sat in the front row (decked out in Kenzo.)
4. Speaking of The Row, there were knit turtlenecks so encompassing that wearing them might make you feel like one of those sad dogs who can’t scratch itself because of the plastic funnel around it’s neck. We want one. Immediately.
5. While we’re talking enormous things, there were banana-yellow pants so large at Rosie Assoulin it appeared they could house a small village. Probably coming soon to a boutique near you for a cool $5,000.
6. Donna Karan's showcase of the upper thigh was a jolt of sex in season that has favored ridiculously long coats and wool-on-wool. The first three looks showed black, suede, thigh-high boots — and left little to the imagination.
7. Taylor Schilling, who sat calmly in the front row at Theory (with a pretty dramatic cat-eye for 11:45 a.m.) told us that after the show — after one. single. show. — she was going home to take a nap.
8. Elettra Wiedemann had a Jackie O. moment: At the press breakfast for Charles James, Elettra Wiedemann appeared before the press like she was being presented to the Junior League.
9. One word: Solange. The Yoncé sister would look great in any of the looks at Milly today, but if we were her stylists we’d pick out the oversize, silver-foil jackets and the fun, tufted-fringe jumpsuit. And many, many more things too. Basically the whole collection.
10. The male models at Telfar had 3-D statues made of themselves, matching their outfits for the show. We would be happy to store them in the Cut office, should they need a home.
Most Viewed Stories
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Everything We Know About Brad Pitt’s Plane Incident
Jaden Smith on the Many Subtle Flavors of Water
Taylor Swift’s Squad Begged Kim Kardashian for Mercy
Gigi Hadid Fought Back Against a Creepy Stranger Who Grabbed Her
The 6 Best Denim Shops on Etsy
Beyoncé and Tina Knowles Did A Normal Mother/Daughter Thing
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.