Fashion Week kicked off softly on Thursday, with a collective oompf, here we go again, as editors, bloggers, and street-style stars kissed their families good-bye, prepared their out-of-office autoreplies, and figured out creative ways to style snowboots and Céline. The biggest — and frankly most welcome — change this season came with the newfangled tents at Lincoln Center. While they didn’t immediately appear to assuage designer’s cries of circus and riffraff, there was a marked lack of frantic energy. But also, there is now a 360 Glam Cam on the premises, like the one on the red carpet. So, not everything got chicer. Meanwhile, downtown, we watched bare-legged fashion reptiles defying the twenty-degree temps in their short skirts and heels. And that's how we knew it truly was Fashion Week after all. So batten down the hatches and behold, our standout moments from the first day of Fashion Week. Then just think: We've got a whole 'nother week of glory to come.
1. It’s baffling — with Lincoln Center’s new massive overhaul to make things feel more exclusive and intimate — that they would choose to put an E! 360 Glam Cam right smack in the middle of it. Doesn’t the Glam Cam, at its core, represent the very thing IMG should be trying to distance itself from? Nevertheless, the fancy selfie machine was a fun distraction for the selfie-happy masses — including even Eva Chen. So far there's no "mani cam" in sight.
2. At Creatures of the Wind, there were tiny, delicate little butterflies on lapels and cuffs — a pretty detail that was steamrolled by the collection’s sister wife vibe and floor-skimming mintyness.
3. At least somebody got the memo on the weather: So many models wore Timberlands. Gold stars for seasonal appropriateness. Triple gold stars for making us think of Aaliyah. Quadruple gold stars for anyone who remembers that Alex Wang, patron saint of Models Off Duty, played Aaliyah before his show last February. Coincidence? You be the judge.
4. There were a couple of epic wipeouts in front of Lincoln Center, which happens when you have people trying to crawl over treacherous, icy slush-rivers in their Kirkwoods.
5. At the Peter Pilotto for Target Presentation and Shopping Bonanza, they played “Happy” by Pharrell so many times on loop that it felt like the “Just Relaxxx” moment in Zoolander. And yet shoppers dutifully waited in line to stock up on armfuls of kaleidoscopic slides, towels, and makeup bags. “Honestly, I picked things that I wanted, but it’s madness in here, so I just decided to grab everything I could,” one shopper told us, glancing remorsefully at her armful of printed things. “I guess it’s all returnable.”
6. All the Cool Kids GIFed their invites. Both the Opening Ceremony show and a Solange Knowles party came with animated invites, but the winner, hands down, was this guy:
8. Coach’s first collection from Stuart Vevers was certainly welcome. There were shearling-lined sneaker-boot hybrids, fringed toes, and one pretty incredible baby-blue leather moto jacket.
9. Lizard people are real — and they walk among us. They are a bare-legged, blownout, and sockless species who are known to wear shorts on nineteen-degree days. If you see these people in the wild, you are invited to look at them, photograph them, but never, never ask: Are you cold?
10. The nails at Creatures of Comfort (done by Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics) were so messy-looking (though cool), it was virtually impossible for models to use their phones backstage. But they looked oh-so-good that it seemed a small price to pay.
11. Phoebe Philo’s trickle-down effect was already apparent: The coat of the season — or at least a knock-off thereof — is the Céline printed plaid. It’s day one and we’re already kind of sick of it.
Most Viewed Stories
Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Reportedly Spotted at the Women’s March
A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
Bernie Sanders Wore the Only Appropriate Outfit to Trump’s Inauguration
Pro-Choice and Pro-Life Marchers Came Face-to-Face at the Women’s March
Why the Election of 9 Black Female Judges in Alabama Matters
Taylor Swift Won’t Save Us From Donald Trump
The Greatest Signs From the Women’s March
16 of the Cutest Kids at the Women’s March
Madonna to Women’s March Detractors: ‘F*ck You’
Over 1 Million New York Women Will Have Access to Free Contraception and Abortions
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.