If Monday is the hump day of fashion week, by Tuesday, the madness sets in. Editors ran through a bacon haze in the Alice Tully cafeteria to make it to Tory Burch at 9 a.m. (a junior editor in shearling claimed he was “having a coronary” because his bosses hadn’t yet shown up at 8:59.) At the J.Crew presentation, male models winked at any person who tried to photograph their shoes, and people tripped over the lighting on the runway at Rodarte. BMX biker chicks invaded Marc by Marc Jacobs, and editors got stuck in the elevator for an hour after Oscar de la Renta. Read on for the most unhinged things that happened yesterday.
1. The Great Jefferson Hack Seat Bump of 2014: Arriving very late for Rodarte, the perma-man-child and former Mr. Kate Moss “squeezed” into the front row, leaving one unfortunate editor on the end of the bench with no choice other than to move back to the second row. Classy.
3. Meanwhile, if you want to DIY those looks, pick up a pair of your childhood sheets on Etsy:
4. Also accidentally Star Wars themed: the many Wookie-on-roids-sized fur hats people wore to stay warm today.
5. Speaking of, "Street Style," naturally, the first time we saw the Prada Spring/Summer 2014 fur coat in the wild, was on the back of professional clothes-horse Giovanna Battaglia. Battaglia wore it with simple black pants, a black turtleneck and a wookie hat, because, honestly, with that coat you need nothing else.
6. Marc Jacobs chilled in the front row at Marc by Marc. Now that he’s a free man, the designer watched the show, relaxing with Sofia Coppola. When the brand’s new designers Luella Bartley and Katie Hillier came out after the finale, they appeared to bow directly to Marc, which was perfect and strange and reminiscent of The King and I.
7. We can't wait to see Marc by Marc's BMX biker girls on the K-Pop stars. We give it two weeks until Taeyang, G-Dragon, and the rest of the K-Pop street-style crew shows up at the European shows wearing these bandanas.
8. As the Marc by Marc show began, someone dove onto the floor next to our seat. For the first few looks, we found ourselves staring the back of this person’s head; she had long, perfectly highlighted, disheveled beadhead. We soon realized it was Kelly Killoren Bensimon — swathed in grey cashmere and accompanied by her daughter — and that it was probably a weave.
9. As always, Oscar de la Renta brought a needed dose of old-school glamour. The glistening, beaded gowns swished hypnotically as they glided by. The models looked perfect, but for their pixie wigs, which appeared to have been cut at the mental ward barbershop. It was the perfect touch that made the whole thing feel very modern. We can’t wait to see all of the gowns from this collection at this year’s Met Ball, where they will fit right in with the Charles James exhibit.
10. An elevator malfunction caused mild panic after Oscar de la Renta. We hope at least one of the 11 editors stuck in the elevator after the show still had that Alexander Wang flask stashed in her Céline bag.
11. The Bruce Weber—shot campaign for Barneys, which featured 17 transgender individuals and their families, now has a beautiful, 36-minute short film (also directed by Weber). It premiered last night at the Guggenheim and featured moving interviews with the subjects about their transitions.
Two days left, chickadees. Still plenty of time to get frost bite in your open-toed shoes.
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Ask Polly: Should I Try to Help My Alcoholic Friend?
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
YogaToes Cured My Lifelong Fear of Bunions
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.