It’s hard to know what to say about a day that simultaneously brought us the glory of David Beckham at the excellent Victoria Beckham show, a parade of golden wrap dresses at DVF, and such pretty frocks at Delpozo, as well as a wild dance performance at Hood by Air, a street-style star who works for the respected designer “Penelope Van Pap Smear,” fetus logos on T-shirts, and a wall covered in one ton of melting Belgian chocolate. But let’s dive in, because on Sunday of Fashion Week, people start to hit their strides, feel warmed up, and occasionally, even begin having fun. See our highs and lows from day four of Fashion Week:
1. It was possible to miss Carrie Brownstein at DVF, as she sat behind a front row that included Paris Hilton and a lot of other blonde celebs we should recognize but didn't. Her status as superstar was later rightfully restored at Opening Ceremony, where she sat front row. We may have run over to her in a shameless, super-fan moment and begged her to do a Portlandia episode devoted to Fashion Week. Since then, we've already drafted a script, so if you're reading this, Carrie, holler at us.
2. Carol and Humberto, Willy Wonkas of Fashion Week: As guests entered Spring Studios for the Opening Ceremony show, they received playing-card-size boxes of Belgian chocolate — apparently one contained a golden ticket to win Opening Ceremony’s new Intel wearable device. Sadly, no tickets for us, but like Augustus Gloop, we did gobble the chocolate.
3. Halfway through the OC show, melted chocolate began to rain down the large white wall that served as the backdrop for the models walking, filling the hall with a sweet smell. When the show ended, everyone ran over and stuck their fingers in the fountain for a taste, but more importantly, an Instagram. (We can vouch: It was delicious, though a publicist warned us, “It’s not the most sanitary.”) It turns out Opening Ceremony deployed one ton of chocolate for the show — and there were 26 lucky people above the wall pouring chocolate down. They had to replace the wall for a second show happening later in the night.
4. Makeup artists were pissed when certain models who walked in Alexander Wang last night showed up with damaged brows this morning. But really, why bleach when you could use brow-blocking, the old drag-queen trick used at Hood by Air to create the slashed cheetah-print brows?
5. Harper Beckham sat front row, picking her nose at her mother’s show this morning, always the highlight of that show. Bonus: There were many many looks we liked, including knife-pleated dresses and skirts worn with or without slouchy sweaters.
6. Olivia Palermo is the Oprah of Spring Studios: Thousands of people flooded the elevators leaving the Diane Von Furstenberg show. Except for one, which went down carrying Olivia Palermo and her crew alone — no explanation as to why she wasn’t accepting other riders. Maybe her fur was too big and full of secrets?
7. Cosmo's fashion editor Shiona Turini wore the most ladylike and elegant grillz we’ve ever seen. Bravo.
8. Were we Punk’d outside Milk Studios? Mingling in the crush of wannabe street-style stars, we met a man with a plastic alligator on top of his fedora. He introduced himself (in a fake German accent) as “Matthias” who “works for the designer Penelope Von Pap Smear.” When we asked to take his picture, he grabbed a confused bystander for effect. But if that was you Jimmy Kimmel, we weren’t buying it.
9. Then again ... on our way into Pier 60 for the Hood by Air show, we spied a young man in shin guards, soccer shorts, spandex, and platform shoes. So we played the game: Hood by Air attendee or Chelsea Piers Soccer Nerd? We tracked him down and discovered that his name is Seymour Glass (like the J.D. Salinger character) and he’s the young New York editor of Schön!, a German magazine from London.
10. Of all the hair extensions at the Hood by Air show, our favorites were the blond, frizzy pigtails by Bumble and Bumble.
11. Backstage at Hood by Air, while 300 naked men were trying to pull off their blond extensions, we ran into an old friend from middle school, who was just hanging out “because she designed the fetus logos for the T-shirts.” We were proud of our younger selves for knowing someone like this.
12. Band of Outsiders had a sweater that we named “The Emoji Sweater.” Or maybe it was just happy to see us.
13. “I love your jeans,” Leandra Medine mouthed to Taylor Tomasi Hill across the runway at Delpozo just before the show started. “Thaa-annks,” she mouthed back. “What are they?” Leandra asked. “Junya ... they’re on sale now, they also come in black.” “Cool, thanks.” Bedazzled, bepatched, fringe jeans for all.
Most Viewed Stories
The Fashion Executive Who Doesn’t Wear Underwear on Dates
25 Famous Women on Being Alone
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
How Angelina Jolie Won the First Big Battle in Her Divorce
Prince George Has No Time for Justin Trudeau’s High Fives
It’s Time to Get Over Your White Feelings and Start Taking Action for Black Lives
The Will & Grace Reunion Was Intensely Documented for Social Media
Amy Schumer Went All Out for the Kiss Cam at a Mets Game
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of September 26
The 6 Best Denim Shops on Etsy
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.