This week, the Cut's pursuit of female-centric topics led writers to scour all the editorial spreads from March fashion magazines, go wild with tales from the Oscars, and ruin social lives with all the dating apps.
1. Would you have what it takes to join Femen? You need no shirt, no smile, a flower crown, and some fighting spirit. Inna Shevchenko spoke to Kat Stoeffel about Ukrainian politics and using the body to convey power.
2. How is the Cut in a post-normcore world? Oh, just amused all day. You?
3. How did Louis Vuitton look under new designer Nicolas Ghesquière? He made a remarkable, rousing debut, Robin Givhan reported from Le Fashion Week in Paris. She also has essays on the teen angst at Saint Laurent, the dark beauty of Alexander McQueen and Valentino, and the Chanel supermarché.
4. What absurdity and beauty did we face with the March fashion magazines? Here are the Best and Worst, as decided by us. We have pronounced the Best Rihanna Hat and the Least Convincing Handywomen. Do you agree with us?
5. How do you spot the most badass of babes? Well, a biker jacket is a good place to start. Allison Davis gathered 25 super-cool women in motos.
6. How many days left until the Oscars? There are only like 360-ish days for you to up your criticism game! Here's a quick refresher on the Oscars 2014, the Oscars of the past: Everyone wore all sorts of clothes and then many people changed these clothes for the Vanity Fair party. The Fugs determined who wore the best dresses and who wore the worst. Two people (Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong'o) had wonderful stuff going on with their hair, so we spoke to their stylists. Two other people, Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, had great red carpet personalities, so we chatted with them as well.
7. What's up with our "It" girl of the moment? Well, Lupita Nyong’o is in her early 30s, quite a handful of years older than the usual ingénue. Maybe age won't be such a factor determining in determining the "It" girl factor?
8. Have you ever dated someone who uses a penis pump? Well, perhaps you are the Anonymous person who shared her story with Alyssa Shelasky.
9. What’s the fastest way to get “the worst kind of bad reputation — the kind you didn’t even have the fun of earning”? Ruin your social life by using a bazillion dating apps! If you're considering such a path, Maureen O’Connor has wise words for you.
10. What's it like to be the only black soloist in the American Ballet Theater? Allison Davis spoke to Misty Copeland about her story and her ambitious next steps.
11. Would you like a little shock of color to brighten your weekend? Here you go: It's a visually stunning slideshow of the best palettes from the fall runways. Bold chartreuse and decadent red!
Most Viewed Stories
Meryl Streep Issues Scathing Response to Karl Lagerfeld’s Oscar Dress Comments [UPDATED]
How Christian Siriano Is Changing the Red Carpet
Everyone Realized All at Once That Was Mel Gibson’s Girlfriend, Not His Daughter
How Celebrities Dressed Before ‘the Red Carpet’ Became a Juggernaut
The Best, Worst, and Most Headbanded Looks of the 2017 Oscars
Rereading The Handmaid’s Tale, One Month Into the Trump Era
Behold, Amy Schumer’s Fabulous Alexander McQueen Duvet Coat
Why the Casey Affleck Sexual-Harassment Allegations Just Won’t Stick
Why Red-Carpet Makeup Looks Bad in Real Life
That Jimmy Kimmel Joke About Weight in Hollywood Sounds Kind of Familiar
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesA Holiday Season Weekend Through London
A good guide for avid The Crown fans.It’s About Time You Learned Tove Lo’s Name
The singer has crafted pop hits you’ve heard a thousand times by now.Marina Abramovic Has Outlasted Her Lovers and, She Hopes, Her Critics
The world's most famous performance artist at 70.The Wing: Do Women Still Need a Space of Their Own?
This exclusive social club for women, is part sorority, part start-up.In Virtual Reality, Women Run the World
A new generation of female artists is making VR the most diverse corner of the male-dominated tech space.The Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.Unknown NFL Player Tries to Get Attention by Asking Aly Raisman Out in Video
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.