This week, the Cut's pursuit of female-centric topics led writers to scour all the editorial spreads from March fashion magazines, go wild with tales from the Oscars, and ruin social lives with all the dating apps.
1. Would you have what it takes to join Femen? You need no shirt, no smile, a flower crown, and some fighting spirit. Inna Shevchenko spoke to Kat Stoeffel about Ukrainian politics and using the body to convey power.
2. How is the Cut in a post-normcore world? Oh, just amused all day. You?
3. How did Louis Vuitton look under new designer Nicolas Ghesquière? He made a remarkable, rousing debut, Robin Givhan reported from Le Fashion Week in Paris. She also has essays on the teen angst at Saint Laurent, the dark beauty of Alexander McQueen and Valentino, and the Chanel supermarché.
4. What absurdity and beauty did we face with the March fashion magazines? Here are the Best and Worst, as decided by us. We have pronounced the Best Rihanna Hat and the Least Convincing Handywomen. Do you agree with us?
5. How do you spot the most badass of babes? Well, a biker jacket is a good place to start. Allison Davis gathered 25 super-cool women in motos.
6. How many days left until the Oscars? There are only like 360-ish days for you to up your criticism game! Here's a quick refresher on the Oscars 2014, the Oscars of the past: Everyone wore all sorts of clothes and then many people changed these clothes for the Vanity Fair party. The Fugs determined who wore the best dresses and who wore the worst. Two people (Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong'o) had wonderful stuff going on with their hair, so we spoke to their stylists. Two other people, Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, had great red carpet personalities, so we chatted with them as well.
7. What's up with our "It" girl of the moment? Well, Lupita Nyong’o is in her early 30s, quite a handful of years older than the usual ingénue. Maybe age won't be such a factor determining in determining the "It" girl factor?
8. Have you ever dated someone who uses a penis pump? Well, perhaps you are the Anonymous person who shared her story with Alyssa Shelasky.
9. What’s the fastest way to get “the worst kind of bad reputation — the kind you didn’t even have the fun of earning”? Ruin your social life by using a bazillion dating apps! If you're considering such a path, Maureen O’Connor has wise words for you.
10. What's it like to be the only black soloist in the American Ballet Theater? Allison Davis spoke to Misty Copeland about her story and her ambitious next steps.
11. Would you like a little shock of color to brighten your weekend? Here you go: It's a visually stunning slideshow of the best palettes from the fall runways. Bold chartreuse and decadent red!
Most Viewed Stories
I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
Blake Lively Reportedly Just Gave Birth, and You’ll Never Guess Who’s Running to the Hospital
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Angelina Jolie Got Everything She Wanted in Temporary Divorce Deal With Brad Pitt
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
The Mysterious Deaths of Two Sisters in a Luxury Hotel
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
From Our Partners
Who What Wear
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesThe Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.Santigold’s New Video Is the Result of a Spontaneous Run-in With Kara Walker
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Spotted Together Again, Love Might Be Real
They could be back together ahh!Teen, Forced to Go on Vacation With Her Family, Calls 911
The logical decision.Report: Hearst Fired Seventeen EIC Michelle Tan During Her Maternity Leave
Tan had been at the magazine for about two years.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.Miles Teller Is Still Upset About Being Called a Dick
He wants to set the record straight.Why Parents Shouldn’t Talk About Weight With Their Teens
New guidelines seek to banish weight talk.