This week, the Cut's pursuit of female-centric topics led writers to scour all the editorial spreads from March fashion magazines, go wild with tales from the Oscars, and ruin social lives with all the dating apps.
1. Would you have what it takes to join Femen? You need no shirt, no smile, a flower crown, and some fighting spirit. Inna Shevchenko spoke to Kat Stoeffel about Ukrainian politics and using the body to convey power.
2. How is the Cut in a post-normcore world? Oh, just amused all day. You?
3. How did Louis Vuitton look under new designer Nicolas Ghesquière? He made a remarkable, rousing debut, Robin Givhan reported from Le Fashion Week in Paris. She also has essays on the teen angst at Saint Laurent, the dark beauty of Alexander McQueen and Valentino, and the Chanel supermarché.
4. What absurdity and beauty did we face with the March fashion magazines? Here are the Best and Worst, as decided by us. We have pronounced the Best Rihanna Hat and the Least Convincing Handywomen. Do you agree with us?
5. How do you spot the most badass of babes? Well, a biker jacket is a good place to start. Allison Davis gathered 25 super-cool women in motos.
6. How many days left until the Oscars? There are only like 360-ish days for you to up your criticism game! Here's a quick refresher on the Oscars 2014, the Oscars of the past: Everyone wore all sorts of clothes and then many people changed these clothes for the Vanity Fair party. The Fugs determined who wore the best dresses and who wore the worst. Two people (Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong'o) had wonderful stuff going on with their hair, so we spoke to their stylists. Two other people, Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, had great red carpet personalities, so we chatted with them as well.
7. What's up with our "It" girl of the moment? Well, Lupita Nyong’o is in her early 30s, quite a handful of years older than the usual ingénue. Maybe age won't be such a factor determining in determining the "It" girl factor?
8. Have you ever dated someone who uses a penis pump? Well, perhaps you are the Anonymous person who shared her story with Alyssa Shelasky.
9. What’s the fastest way to get “the worst kind of bad reputation — the kind you didn’t even have the fun of earning”? Ruin your social life by using a bazillion dating apps! If you're considering such a path, Maureen O’Connor has wise words for you.
10. What's it like to be the only black soloist in the American Ballet Theater? Allison Davis spoke to Misty Copeland about her story and her ambitious next steps.
11. Would you like a little shock of color to brighten your weekend? Here you go: It's a visually stunning slideshow of the best palettes from the fall runways. Bold chartreuse and decadent red!
Most Viewed Stories
The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
Cindy Crawford on Bagels, Instagirls, and Bringing the Supermodel Era to TV
American Apparel Files for Bankruptcy
Astrology GIFs for the Week of October 5, 2015
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
All the Ceilings Women Keep Hitting Their Heads On
‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
From Our Partners
Here's What To Buy From J.Crew's HUGE 75-Percent-Off Sale!
Jennifer Garner, Before and After
The Zoe Report
Why I Quit Shopping At Zara
SELF: The One Thing Pedicurists Want You To Know
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesAmber Rose, Populist Slut Hero of Our Time
She walked, she twerked — and she was pretty inspiring.This IUD Ad Is Actually About Staten Island
Even your birth control doesn’t want to take the ferry.You Think You’re Too Classy to Drink Champagne From a Bong?
Think again.‘Weed Dick’ Is the New Way for Men to Sexually Disappoint You
It's like whiskey dick, but with weed.How to Get Out of Any Party Conversation
A helpful guide.Would You Date a Guy on a Hoverboard? A Survey
An important poll for our time.Americans Just Want to Eat in Peace — So They Hide It
We're a nation who hides our snacks.All the Ceilings Women Keep Hitting Their Heads On
There's a Rob-shaped hole on the new Cosmo cover.Queen Ronda Rousey Is the First Woman to Cover Aussie Men’s Fitness
She's flexin' down under.
This week's horoscopes.The Big Secret of Every Dating App: Tech Doesn’t Matter
Just like at bars, it's the crowd that counts.
He didn’t want to chat.8 Actually Good Things That Happened This Week
Baby sea turtles wearing bathing suits and a necklace for your pizza.Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
Take that, sportscasters.A Comprehensive Taxonomy of Men With Long Hair
And why we like them anyway.Teens Are Dying From Train-Track Photo Shoots
The popular photo destination is actually super-dangerous.‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
Ed Houben has fathered 106 children — that he knows of.The Internet of Parents Is Miserable and I Love It
Why it's so hard to look away.Did the ‘Maxipad Bandit’ Really Think He’d Escape?
Not so fast, mister.