This week, the Cut tackled topics ranging from emoji sexting to Sheryl Sandberg’s “Ban Bossy” campaign, with a lot in between. We caught up with the Princeton Mom, and chatted with a documentary filmmaker who specializes in teen flicks. Here’s what we learned:
1. Is bossy really the sexist plague that Sheryl Sandberg makes it out to be? Ann Friedman articulates why it’s frustrating to watch the Lean In movement focus on restricting language rather than expanding choices.
2. What guidelines should news outlets follow when dealing with rape and privacy on social media? Kat Stoeffel weighs in on BuzzFeed’s controversial listicle, which mined tweets from victims of sexual assault.
3. What happens when you ask the Princeton Mom for dating advice? Maureen O’Connor trekked to now-author Sue Patton’s Upper East Side apartment to find out.
4. Does anyone else out there rewatch Jawbreaker on a regular basis? Yes: filmmaker Charlie Lyne, who spoke to Allison Davis about his new documentary about the teen-movie genre, Beyond Clueless.
5. What benefits does a scalp facial offer? Easier styling, plus a 15-minute head massage, reports Kathleen Hou.
6. What’s the deal with Juan Pablo? He’s probably the worst bachelor ever, argues Allison Davis — but he’s definitely made for some good television.
7. How can I sext sans text? With the Cut’s helpful glossary of erotic emoji possibilities, compiled by Allison Davis and Maggie Lange.
8. What is Santigold up to these days? Her upcoming projects include a baby and a “post-apocalyptic” makeup collaboration, she told Kathleen Hou.
9. Now that nail art is over, what’s the next hand-related trend? Fistfuls of jewelry styled beyond functionality. Isabel Wilkinson and Leah Rodriguez compiled the best wrist and finger accessories from fashion month.
10. Wouldn’t it be great if there were a purse that could charge your phone? Kat Stoeffel evaluated the usefulness of various wearable tech devices that debuted at South by Southwest this week.
Most Viewed Stories
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Democratic Women Senators Are Very Concerned About Donald Trump’s Weight
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesThe Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.Santigold’s New Video Is the Result of a Spontaneous Run-in With Kara Walker
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Spotted Together Again, Love Might Be Real
They could be back together ahh!Teen, Forced to Go on Vacation With Her Family, Calls 911
The logical decision.Report: Hearst Fired Seventeen EIC Michelle Tan During Her Maternity Leave
Tan had been at the magazine for about two years.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.Miles Teller Is Still Upset About Being Called a Dick
He wants to set the record straight.Why Parents Shouldn’t Talk About Weight With Their Teens
New guidelines seek to banish weight talk.