While the Oscars were in the front of our minds on this side of the Atlantic yesterday, Fashion Week roared on in Paris.
The weekend brought a focus on the conceptual avant-garde — the stranger the looks, the better. And Sunday's shows did not disappoint, as heavy hitters including Céline, Chloé, Givenchy, and Kenzo presented accessories that are surely going to inspire a craze or two next fall. Below, our favorite 11 looks from the weekend.
1. At Acne, amidst psychedelic swirls of pastels and silhouettes that experimented on staples of the 1970s, one look stood out for its severity, sportiness, and great accessories: a navy leather anorak tunic, paired with a matching leather backpack and spherical earrings.
2. At Viktor & Rolf, one standout look was a boxy silver jacquard coat-dress with an ice-blue leather front.
3. Strange shapes were the focus at Junya Watanabe; we loved one look in particular that featured felt bias-cut circles that created languid, droopy shapes.
4. Haider Ackermann's fall collection took an ascetic turn, opening with the simplest neutral colors and classic menswear tailoring. One look was a study in layering: a tailored wool jacket over a matching coat and silk bomber.
5. Leave it to Vivienne Westwood to make Victorian mutton sleeves sexy, as they are here on this sateen dress with a graphite charcoal print.
6. At Comme des Garçons, our favorite looks were conceptual silhouettes constructed with padded jersey and cotton that reimagined the body in unusual shapes.
7. From the opening look at Céline, Phoebe Philo immediately made us forget about spring's artful Rasta romp. A tight palette of black, cream, and olive assured Philo-philes that luxury would still exist in everyday wear. This look, a long and lean knit tunic and pants (in a flared shape, not too distant from Marc Jacobs) stood out. The new, sinewy silhouette was complemented by soon-to-be-coveted knockout accessories: a single statement earring, a bold colorful cuff, and an oversize tangerine fur muff.
8. At Kenzo, creative black-tie was given a whole new meaning: A graphic red-and-black-printed suit was paired with a shirt of a contrasting print, but, more noticeably, a swingy skirt came over the suit. It was a new, dressed-up suit.
9. Fall outings for Clare Waight Keller's Chloé usually promise great new bags and enticing outerwear. Exhibit look 29: a leopard fur coat with strips of marigold and ruby fur worn over an ivory fringed dress. The bag tucked underneath the arm exudes just enough nonchalance.
10. Riccardo Tisci used a butterfly motif throughout this knockout collection for Givenchy. While we loved the natural nudes and browns of the moth wings, the finale looks were truly stunning. Here, Stella Tennant wears high-waisted trousers with contrasting pockets (surely to be popular pants next fall) and a sleeveless embroidered top of a textural feathery color. If only someone on the red carpet could wear this.
11. Lastly, Maison Rabih Kayrouz gave us more than a few looks that look super-wearable right now. This floor-grazing open-faced coat worn over a nubby tunic sweater and spliced midi-skirt was enlivened (but not overtly so) by metallic gold booties.
Most Viewed Stories
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Donald Trump Spent the Morning After the Debate Fat-Shaming Miss Universe, Again
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Hillary Clinton’s Sickest Debate Burns
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
2009 Called — It Wants Its Vogue-Versus-Bloggers Fight Back.
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Former Miss Universe Becomes U.S. Citizen So She Can Vote Against Trump
Area Woman Interrupted by Man 25 Times in 26 Minutes
Our Scowling Hero Breaks a Smile
From Our Partners
The Zoe Report
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.