You have your DGAF role model all picked out, don't you? Somewhere on the DGAF scale between Rihanna, Aubrey Plaza, Ilana Glazer, or Cara Delevingne? Well, I am going to encourage you to open your heart to one more DGAF supermoon. Can I talk to you about January Jones as a possibility?
Oh, did you just shake your head so hard in disbelief? Yes, there was talk of January Jones as icy or humorless, especially after one of the many actors who played young Bobby pointed her out as intimidating ("everyone else is so nice") and she dressed as Betty Draper for Halloween. But allow me to suggest that this chilly exterior is just how Jones's particular brand of DGAF manifests itself. To be a female celebrity is to be constantly asked to please others. You want your stars warm, friendly, "relatable," just like us? Nope, sorry, not happening: January Jones does not feel like it, and she does not care what you think. And we applaud that.
Last night, Jones returned as Betty (Draper) Francis for Mad Men's final season. In honor of that fine occasion, here follows 20 airtight arguments in support of January Jones as a laudable DGAF hero:
1. She doesn't smile just because you want her to. A New York Times profile last year begins by noting that it's difficult to make her smile and she avoids "the dithery banter that in Hollywood passes for charm." She said of her Mad Men role: "It's hard for me to understand how she can put on a smile and be the happy housewife."
2. She partook in a paparazzi-documented cab ride of shame. Barefoot, tiptoeing through the grass.
3. She says bitchy stuff. For example, in a recent Instagram, "You know you've lived in LA a long time when reading home design magazines at a Pinkberry doesn't make you feel like a waste of space whatsoever." Sometimes she says bitchy stuff about the word bitch. When asked a question about supposedly decrying "bitches in high school who said I wasn't pretty" in another interview, Jones answered:
Where are you getting this shit? It sounds like something I might have said when I was, like, 15. The bitches in high school were bitches because I was pretty.
4. She is not a people-pleaser. She does awkward interviews (example one), with no effort to make the interviewer feel like they asked good questions. And she doesn't care to compensate: "I’m not trying to sell myself. I wouldn’t know how."
5. She doesn't tell you anything she doesn't want to, specifically the one thing we all want to know: details about her baby's father.
6. She clearly enjoys how her silence on subjects drives people nuts. In an interview with Net a Porter's the Edit.
As an actor, if people know too many things about you they won't believe you in a certain character. You don't want people to have a preconceived idea of who you are ... It's just not something the public needs to know. I don't divulge my sexual preferences. There are parts of your life — no matter what your job — that should remain private.
7. She brags about being thin, and really trying to gain weight.
8. She was perhaps the most scandalously-behaved party in a purported situation with Miley Cyrus. (A dubious example, sure, but there was a tabloid rumor that she was sleeping with Cyrus's then-fiancé, Liam Hemsworth. Jones maintained silence through a grueling paparazzi question-barrage at the airport on the subject.)
9. She loves playing a villain. In an interview with Vulture, she said:
I just think it's really fun for me because it's not things that I get to do in real life. I'm not going out and punching people and blowing shit up. I mean, if you're an actor, wouldn't you want to do fun stuff like that? Like shooting and riding horses and shooting a guy's dick off and things?
11. She cares not at all about maintaining a decorous length in her Instagram hashtags. For example: #ironicthatkaraokenowgivesmenightmares.
13. She thinks it's funny when people are mean to her. For example, Jones cited Zach Galifianakis as one of the "most naturally funny" men she had ever met. He told the backstory of their relationship:
That’s really funny because, if I remember correctly, she and I were very rude to each other. It was crazy. I was at a party — I’d never met her — and she was like, "Come sit down." So I sit at her table and talk for 10 minutes, and she goes, "I think it’s time for you to leave now." So I say, "January, you are an actress in a show and everybody’s going to forget about you in a few years, so fucking be nice," and I got up and left. And she thinks that’s funny.
14. She wears exactly whatever she pleases. She doesn’t have a stylist (this discussed while she offered her backstage assistance to Donatella Versace). She will tell you when she’s uncomfortable. She says she aims to shock, in the vein of a David Bowie character. When the self-appointed red-carpet judgers criticized her Met gala costume last year, she said:
Those people don’t have degrees in fashion. Why would I care what they say?
A fashion aside: Jones has said she thinks that Sally Draper will grow up to be Anna Wintour.
15. She quotes Bukowski on her Instagram. Bam! There goes your happiness! Here's how she puts it: "'Find what you love and let it kill you.' Bukowski #notforrealstho."
16. She was dismissive of how little beer Jimmy Fallon used in his cups for beer pong.
18. She loves posting ugly photos of herself as a child. In her participation in Throwback Thursday, careful calculation confirms that of the 17 posts she has put up, 11 are firmly unattractive. To note, she had 11 different awkward haircuts during these years.
20. She said she's mostly making all of this up anyway.
When I talk about myself, half the time I'm lying … I do it because I'm bored … I'm in my own head. I'm doing things. Keeping things interesting.
Most Viewed Stories
Kellyanne Conway Has an Interesting Way of Sitting on the White House Sofa
Ask Polly: Am I Pretty?
My Mother’s Murder
Why the Casey Affleck Sexual-Harassment Allegations Just Won’t Stick
God Bless Corinne Olympios, the Best Bachelor Contestant of All Time
Balenciaga Severed Its Relationship With Widely Critiqued Casting Agents
Justin Trudeau Was Extremely Into Man Jewelry When He Was Young
Melania Trump Wears Michael Kors for Trump’s First Address to Joint Session of Congress
Contrary to What You Learned in Sex Ed, You Can Get Pregnant While Pregnant
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesA Holiday Season Weekend Through London
A good guide for avid The Crown fans.It’s About Time You Learned Tove Lo’s Name
The singer has crafted pop hits you’ve heard a thousand times by now.Marina Abramovic Has Outlasted Her Lovers and, She Hopes, Her Critics
The world's most famous performance artist at 70.The Wing: Do Women Still Need a Space of Their Own?
This exclusive social club for women, is part sorority, part start-up.In Virtual Reality, Women Run the World
A new generation of female artists is making VR the most diverse corner of the male-dominated tech space.The Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.Unknown NFL Player Tries to Get Attention by Asking Aly Raisman Out in Video
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.