Marie Antoinette commissioned a faux farm that is remembered as a potent little symbol of out-of-touch extravagance. At the same time, it’s an unquestionably adorable, idyllic diversion. Get ready to feel similarly complicated about this list of celebrities who raise chickens!
1. Gisele informed Food & Wine Magazine last week that she is raising some chickens. She loves it. Every celebrity who mentions raising chickens also loves raising these chickens, but Gisele is the first to mention chicken shit:
I have a beautiful garden in L.A. where I raise chickens. We have very little waste because the chickens eat all of the vegetable scraps, and anything they won't eat, I put in my compost pile with the chicken poo.
2. Reese Witherspoon raises chickens at her Ojai ranch, where she had her "rustic wedding," at which chicken was served, though there might be no connection. Witherspoon has previously gushed about how much she wanted a chicken coop for Christmas. As of 2010, she had 16 hens and a single rooster.
3. Julia Roberts visited Ellen DeGeneres on her birthday to tell Ellen about her chickens. "They're amazing!" She has one named Veronica; but collectively, they respond only to "chickens."
4. Jennifer Aniston says of her chickens that she is "keeping them alive." Aniston fell into these chickens when she purchased an 8,500-square-foot Bel Air mansion, which came with a coop — oh, and also live animals, as though these were feudal times and land came with living things upon it. Anyway, she has since learned some things about them:
They're very social animals, and they like it when you visit them with a cup of coffee in your hand. And according to my groundskeeper, they love pasta.
6. Barbra Streisand has chickens at her barn-home complex. She told Oprah that if one has a barn, one must have chickens, so she has chickens. They lay green eggs.
7. Oprah, America's champion nester, has a chicken coop at her holiday house in Hawaii.
8. Hilary Swank has truly earned her spot on this list, because she raised her chickens from eggs. One even rode around in her robe! She told Ellen all about it.
9. Tori Spelling is extremely into her chickens. She has dressed them up, like people, and taken them to awards shows. Her chickens are called Silkies, which sounds like a fancy breed.
10 and 11. William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman have chickens. Macy, who is a "master builder," constructed their coop and said of his brood:
Now we’re all in love — it’s been a family affair.
12. Ellen Pompeo has chicken neighbor dramaaaa, which she too discussed with Ellen. As you can see, celebrities confessing their chicken-roosting habits is Ellen's wheelhouse. Ellen later admitted she herself takes eggs from her neighbor's "happy chickens."
13. Elizabeth Hurley has an organic farm in Gloucestershire and a reality show about her farming ways. There are chickens involved.
14. Debi Mazar also appears in a reality show with her husband (Extra Virgin) that stars their chickens.
15. Rachel Weisz: keeps chickens.
16. Helen Hunt: noticed that her chickens "got bigger."
17. Of course, Martha Stewart has chickens. She has been a proud chicken owner for at least 15 years. And while we're including her on this list, it could be argued that Martha Stewart is chicken owner first, celebrity second.
And then there are the celebrities who merely aspire to chickens. Nicole Richie once wrote she "sent my husband 7 emails this morning on why raising chickens is a great choice for us and weirdly he won’t write me back …" Shirley MacLaine said, "I will get some chickens when I feel the time is right."
For whatever this is worth, Neiman Marcus sells a Versailles chicken coop for $100,000.
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Harder to Be Thin Than It Was in the ’80s
Why Do I Jerk Awake Right As I’m Falling Asleep?
From Up Close, Raf Simons’s Vision for Dior Is Clear
The World’s Easiest Way to Highlight Your Face
A Pregnant Supermodel Explains What She Eats
Meet the Prom Queen of Instagram
Michelle Obama: No Boy Is Cute Enough to Keep You From Getting an Education
Sleater-Kinney on Riot Grrl, Reuniting, and Portlandia
Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
Guess Who Renovated This Grand Upper West Side Penthouse
From Our Partners
The Day I Told The Ugly Truth About My Marriage
5 Must-Have Products for Your Makeup Bag
The Art of Loving and Losing Female Friends
Here's What To Buy From J.Crew's HUGE 75-Percent-Off Sale!
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War Features8 Actually Good Things That Happened This Week
Baby sea turtles wearing bathing suits and a necklace for your pizza.Selfie Sorority Uses Media Frenzy for Good Cause
Take that, sportscasters.A Comprehensive Taxonomy of Men With Long Hair
And why we like them anyway.Teens Are Dying From Train-Track Photo Shoots
The popular photo destination is actually super-dangerous.‘Truly Ugly Guy With Glasses’ Is Europe’s Most Virile Man
Ed Houben has fathered 106 children — that he knows of.The Internet of Parents Is Miserable and I Love It
Why it's so hard to look away.Did the ‘Maxipad Bandit’ Really Think He’d Escape?
Not so fast, mister.Woman Driven From Her Home by Death Threats After Starting Pro-Choice Hashtag
The hashtag drew intense scorn from anti-abortion activists.Ice-Cold Teens Don’t Hesitate to Block Their Exes
"I’m just like this is irrelevant now.”Let Sorority Girls Instagram Themselves in Peace
Come on, man.
Whether you're Lena Dunham or an emerging writer, the format has an appealing intimacy.The Bennifer Years Affected Matt Damon More Than Anyone Else
It's just really hard when your buddy breaks up with J.Lo, you know?Someone Used Gasoline to Set a Los Angeles–Area Planned Parenthood on Fire
Police believe gasoline was used as an accelerant to burn down the Thousand Oaks facility.Michelle Obama: No Boy Is Cute Enough to Keep You From Getting an Education
"Compete with the boys. Beat the boys."Stop Time-Traveling to Such Lame Eras, Losers
You have a choice, people.New ‘Yelp for People’ Will Let You Rate Everyone You Know
Kind of like Lulu, or Hot or Not, or ...Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is Glad She Was Trained in the ’60s
She's glad she was trained in the Mad Men era.Lena Dunham Apologizes for Joking About Abuse
"When I heard my own quote I was like, 'Jesus, Lena, no.'"Desperate Republicans Attack Planned Parenthood Chief’s Salary
"The disrespect, the misogyny rampant here today tells us what is really going on."Blake Lively’s Lifestyle Is No Longer for Sale
She will Goop no more.