Marie Antoinette commissioned a faux farm that is remembered as a potent little symbol of out-of-touch extravagance. At the same time, it’s an unquestionably adorable, idyllic diversion. Get ready to feel similarly complicated about this list of celebrities who raise chickens!
1. Gisele informed Food & Wine Magazine last week that she is raising some chickens. She loves it. Every celebrity who mentions raising chickens also loves raising these chickens, but Gisele is the first to mention chicken shit:
I have a beautiful garden in L.A. where I raise chickens. We have very little waste because the chickens eat all of the vegetable scraps, and anything they won't eat, I put in my compost pile with the chicken poo.
2. Reese Witherspoon raises chickens at her Ojai ranch, where she had her "rustic wedding," at which chicken was served, though there might be no connection. Witherspoon has previously gushed about how much she wanted a chicken coop for Christmas. As of 2010, she had 16 hens and a single rooster.
3. Julia Roberts visited Ellen DeGeneres on her birthday to tell Ellen about her chickens. "They're amazing!" She has one named Veronica; but collectively, they respond only to "chickens."
4. Jennifer Aniston says of her chickens that she is "keeping them alive." Aniston fell into these chickens when she purchased an 8,500-square-foot Bel Air mansion, which came with a coop — oh, and also live animals, as though these were feudal times and land came with living things upon it. Anyway, she has since learned some things about them:
They're very social animals, and they like it when you visit them with a cup of coffee in your hand. And according to my groundskeeper, they love pasta.
6. Barbra Streisand has chickens at her barn-home complex. She told Oprah that if one has a barn, one must have chickens, so she has chickens. They lay green eggs.
7. Oprah, America's champion nester, has a chicken coop at her holiday house in Hawaii.
8. Hilary Swank has truly earned her spot on this list, because she raised her chickens from eggs. One even rode around in her robe! She told Ellen all about it.
9. Tori Spelling is extremely into her chickens. She has dressed them up, like people, and taken them to awards shows. Her chickens are called Silkies, which sounds like a fancy breed.
10 and 11. William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman have chickens. Macy, who is a "master builder," constructed their coop and said of his brood:
Now we’re all in love — it’s been a family affair.
12. Ellen Pompeo has chicken neighbor dramaaaa, which she too discussed with Ellen. As you can see, celebrities confessing their chicken-roosting habits is Ellen's wheelhouse. Ellen later admitted she herself takes eggs from her neighbor's "happy chickens."
13. Elizabeth Hurley has an organic farm in Gloucestershire and a reality show about her farming ways. There are chickens involved.
14. Debi Mazar also appears in a reality show with her husband (Extra Virgin) that stars their chickens.
15. Rachel Weisz: keeps chickens.
16. Helen Hunt: noticed that her chickens "got bigger."
17. Of course, Martha Stewart has chickens. She has been a proud chicken owner for at least 15 years. And while we're including her on this list, it could be argued that Martha Stewart is chicken owner first, celebrity second.
And then there are the celebrities who merely aspire to chickens. Nicole Richie once wrote she "sent my husband 7 emails this morning on why raising chickens is a great choice for us and weirdly he won’t write me back …" Shirley MacLaine said, "I will get some chickens when I feel the time is right."
For whatever this is worth, Neiman Marcus sells a Versailles chicken coop for $100,000.
Most Viewed Stories
Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Reportedly Spotted at the Women’s March
Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
Calvin Klein Quietly Unveils First Raf Simons Collection
Like Trump, Taylor Swift Cares About Numbers
Museums Across the World Are Collecting Women’s March Signs
Why the Election of 9 Black Female Judges in Alabama Matters
Bernie Sanders Wore the Only Appropriate Outfit to Trump’s Inauguration
Pro-Choice and Pro-Life Marchers Came Face-to-Face at the Women’s March
An Estimated 3.2 Million People Participated in Women’s Marches Across the Country
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Love and War FeaturesA Holiday Season Weekend Through London
A good guide for avid The Crown fans.It’s About Time You Learned Tove Lo’s Name
The singer has crafted pop hits you’ve heard a thousand times by now.Marina Abramovic Has Outlasted Her Lovers and, She Hopes, Her Critics
The world's most famous performance artist at 70.The Wing: Do Women Still Need a Space of Their Own?
This exclusive social club for women, is part sorority, part start-up.In Virtual Reality, Women Run the World
A new generation of female artists is making VR the most diverse corner of the male-dominated tech space.The Novelist Disguised As a Housewife
Shirley Jackson wrote 17 books while raising four children — and she couldn't have had a successful career without them.Ava DuVernay on Hollywood Racism, Modern-Day Slavery, and Why She’s Still an Optimist
The director, whose new documentary The 13th chronicles America’s history of racial subjugation, talks to Rebecca Traister about Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the modern criminal-justice system.What No One Tells Couples Trying to Conceive
It helps to be rich.The Hidden Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race
A segregated unit of mathematicians born of desperation during World War II became the secret to NASA’s success.Slut-Shaming Squids Are Everywhere
The “Bermuda Square” comic strip is back.
The collaboration that dreams are made of.Good Morning America Host Amy Robach Apologizes for Saying ‘Colored People’ on Air
She quickly apologized.Unknown NFL Player Tries to Get Attention by Asking Aly Raisman Out in Video
That’s one way to do it.Don’t Mess This Up, Mischa Barton
Marissa Cooper is poised for a comeback ... maybe.California Votes to Remove Time Limit on Prosecuting Rape Cases
In light of the Bill Cosby case.Beyoncé’s Behind-the-Scenes Lemonade Photos Belong in a Museum
She had the "Boycott Beyoncé" sign already in formation on set.The Rise of the Male Celebrity Full-Frontal
An ex-publicist explains.Gabby Douglas Will Be a Miss America Judge
The gold-medal gymnast will help choose the 2017 pageant winner.Camille Becerra’s Photo Diary of Rockaway Beach
An ideal trip to add and cross off your summer bucket list.Sorry Nerds, Ian McKellen Won’t Officiate Your Expensive Lord of the Rings–Themed Wedding
Not even for $1.5 million.