Last night's CFDA Awards marked an evening for weirdness, for gently roasting the fashion crowd — and for a few very meaningful words. From Ruth Finley's standing ovation to the Olsens' dedication to Jay Ott, the seven most tear-jerking moments of the night, below.
1. Diane von Furstenberg presented the first award of the night to 95-year-old Ruth Finley, keeper of the fashion calendar and general industry legend. Tears, because — this lady is 95! And wearing heels, and also seemingly in possession of a full and varied life, marked by oodles of grandchildren and work that she has loved consistently for seven decades. Standing ovation!
2. The international award was presented to Raf Simons by Sidney Toledano, the CEO of Dior, and Marion Cotillard. But the real tearjerker came when Simons choked up while thanking his studio head and alter ego, Pieter Mulier. Toledano steadied him at the shoulder as he gulped for air and exhibited true gratitude and friendship. Cotillard started to cry, too.
3. Paul Cavaco, the legendary stylist and creative director, spoke a great deal about true love, about how the job of a fashion picture is to make you fall in love every time you look at it, to experience that breathless, adolescent whoosh. He cried when speaking of his former wife and business partner Kezia Keeble, who found him at a Buddhist meeting at Harlem and said: "I just have a feeling you're going to work with a lot of famous people." Keeble and Cavaco have a daughter together, as well as two grandchildren, and also founded the PR firm now known as KCD. Keeble died in 1990, when she was just 48, of breast cancer. (The D in KCD was for John Duka, Keeble's second husband and a former style reporter for the New York Times; Duka died in 1989 of AIDS. Cavaco also thanked the current team at KCD for getting him through that horrible period.)
4. Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen dedicated their Trova to Jay Ott, who went missing this spring.
6. Bethann Hardison, the pioneering black model and agent, was shown in an old video clip talking about walking in a fashion show where buyers from the southern states would look down when she passed by. She's spent years fighting for diversity on the runway, and she was joined onstage by a group of models including Iman, Naomi Campbell, Liya Kebede, and Joan Smalls.
7. The final award of the night was for Womenswear Designer of the Year, presented this time (in a moving follow-up to Bethann Hardison's speech) by a luminous Lupita Nyong'o. One of the main reasons recipients of CFDA Awards cite for feeling as honored as they are is the recognition by one's peers. So when the house lights came up during Joseph Altuzarra's acceptance speech, he was greeted with the faces of the whole industry, its storied meanness totally on hiatus for the night.
Most Viewed Stories
I Tried Hillary Clinton’s Diet and Now I Sympathize With Her
Blake Lively Reportedly Just Gave Birth, and You’ll Never Guess Who’s Running to the Hospital
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Angelina Jolie Got Everything She Wanted in Temporary Divorce Deal With Brad Pitt
What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
The Best Part of Being a Royal Is Getting to Pet Bunnies
The Mysterious Deaths of Two Sisters in a Luxury Hotel
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.