Beauty is such a waste of time, people say. But is that always a bad thing, especially on weekends when you want to luxuriate in your beauty routine? Try a Mounds bar–smelling hair mask as you fast-forward and rewind Justin Theroux scenes from The Leftovers. Double up on skin-care products and see if you look twice as glow-y or twice as tired from the exerted efforts. Here are 11 ways to sit back, relax, and procrastinate prettily.
1. Try a Korean beauty routine, which includes every skin-care product you've ever heard of. If it were a sandwich, it would be called "the works," with a face wash, an exfoliator, a toner, a serum, a moisturizer, an eye cream, and a face mask. At last count, there were seven steps. Then there were ten. Then there were 12. Who knows. When in doubt, double up. Double-wash your face, double up on serum, use an eye serum and then an eye cream, and several face masks in a row. And then collapse from exhaustion but wake up with the skin of a Korean pop star.
Bonus: Do the steps all over again in the morning.
2. Comb your eyelashes for extra-fluttery lashes. Some (specifically the beauty fanatics on Reddit) comb through theirs with castor oil, claiming it makes them grow longer. Others do it to make sure their lashes post-mascara application aren't clumpy.
Bonus: Kate Bosworth, at a spokesperson event for SK-II, confessed that her mom used to comb through her lashes with a straight pin. This wastes time, because combing through your eyelashes is arduous enough on its own without making sure you don’t blind yourself in the process. (And obviously not actually recommended for trying on yourself, unless you like to live life dangerously.)
4. Have the beauty equivalent of a laundry day. Stay in and wash your brushes. People usually fall into two categories: People who own really nice brushes and don’t wash them, or people who don’t own brushes apart from the ones God attached to the palms of their hands (and hopefully, you wash your fingers without prompting from bathroom signs). Makeup artist Troy Surratt swears by using Dawn laundry detergent to clean brushes, for being gentle, yet thorough for natural bristles.
5. Attempt to organize your beauty collection until it looks like something worthy of Things Organized Neatly. The first step to spend $384 on clear, plexiglass shelving at the Container Store. We'll wait.
6. Attempt a no-makeup makeup look from a YouTube tutorial. The first step is to purchase the roughly 27 products in the tutorial. We'll wait.
7. Sleep in a coconut-oil hair mask. This is a deep conditioner best-suited for those with textured, curly, and/or thick hair. If you have fine hair like mine, use sparingly or else you will need to wash your hair five times to completely rid it of all the coconut oil (time-waster bonus!). Afterward, your hair will be silky-soft, despite the repeated hair washings, and smell like a Mounds bar.
8. Test out a hair bonnet and a Lady Edith–inspired hairdo. If you fall asleep midway through, do so before the heat styling begins and wake up with Downtonian-esque beach waves.
9. Kontour like a Kardashian. 'Nuff said.
11. Try out Eve Lom's infamous cleanser, which comes with muslin cloths and a 12-square foldout of breathing and massage instructions. Busy mom Kate Hudson told Into the Gloss that she now uses the same cloths as baby burp cloths. After this cleanser's process, your tiny, clean pores will thank you.
Most Viewed Stories
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Democratic Women Senators Are Very Concerned About Donald Trump’s Weight
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Kim Kardashian Assaulted by the Same Guy Who Grabbed Gigi Hadid
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty Features10 Books We’re Reading Right Now
Read with us.All the Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Wide-leg pants, boot game, Karlie Kloss.Can I Ask My Parents to Pay for Grad School Instead of My Wedding?
It would be a much better use of the money!We’re One Step Closer to Getting a Degree in Beyoncé Studies With New Lemonade Class
Get us a new student loan ASAP.Inside a Design Guru’s Enviable London Home
Rita Konig’s flat is one of the reasons you want to sign up for her workshops, starting October 14, here in New York City.25 Famous Women on Overcoming Rejection
Sylvia Plath, Yoko Ono, Misty Copeland, and more women on rising above it all.Young Republicans Love to Dress Like Your Worst Preppy Nightmare
Their favorite brands include Tory Burch, Brooks Brothers, and Walmart.Watch Alexander Wang’s Model Squad Raid a Beverly Hills Mansion
In a new fall 2016 campaign video exclusive.The Best Hair Gel Is Slightly X-Rated
With a name that’s not safe for work.Trump Wanted L.A. Golf Club to Fire Employees Who Were ‘Not Attractive Enough’
“Mr. Trump doesn’t like fat people.”
What a personal reinvention.Nation’s Conscience Samantha Bee Calls Out Donald Trump’s Debate Sexism
“All she had to do was step out of his way while he called a woman fat.”I’m Trying to Be Unbiased About This Article, But It’s Written by a Man So I Can’t
I tried. Sad!What It’s Like to Be a Female Reporter Covering Donald Trump
“I still have moments when I think, I cannot believe he’s the Republican nominee.”Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
The tabloids now insist Pitt is a really good dad.Completely Missing the Point, Newt Gingrich Says ‘You’re Not Supposed to Gain 60 Pounds’ While Miss Universe
Newt … thank you.Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris Have Been ‘Texting,’ Because Even Famous People Aren’t Above Trying to Be Friends With Their Exes
They’ve reportedly buried the hatchet.Teen Asking Self to Homecoming Is the New John Cusack Holding a Boom Box Over His Head
He said yes.Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
“Kellyanne, this is an issue for him, is it not?”Is Your Hormonal Birth Control Making You Depressed?
A new study found a link between hormonal birth control and depression.