Beauty is such a waste of time, people say. But is that always a bad thing, especially on weekends when you want to luxuriate in your beauty routine? Try a Mounds bar–smelling hair mask as you fast-forward and rewind Justin Theroux scenes from The Leftovers. Double up on skin-care products and see if you look twice as glow-y or twice as tired from the exerted efforts. Here are 11 ways to sit back, relax, and procrastinate prettily.
1. Try a Korean beauty routine, which includes every skin-care product you've ever heard of. If it were a sandwich, it would be called "the works," with a face wash, an exfoliator, a toner, a serum, a moisturizer, an eye cream, and a face mask. At last count, there were seven steps. Then there were ten. Then there were 12. Who knows. When in doubt, double up. Double-wash your face, double up on serum, use an eye serum and then an eye cream, and several face masks in a row. And then collapse from exhaustion but wake up with the skin of a Korean pop star.
Bonus: Do the steps all over again in the morning.
2. Comb your eyelashes for extra-fluttery lashes. Some (specifically the beauty fanatics on Reddit) comb through theirs with castor oil, claiming it makes them grow longer. Others do it to make sure their lashes post-mascara application aren't clumpy.
Bonus: Kate Bosworth, at a spokesperson event for SK-II, confessed that her mom used to comb through her lashes with a straight pin. This wastes time, because combing through your eyelashes is arduous enough on its own without making sure you don’t blind yourself in the process. (And obviously not actually recommended for trying on yourself, unless you like to live life dangerously.)
4. Have the beauty equivalent of a laundry day. Stay in and wash your brushes. People usually fall into two categories: People who own really nice brushes and don’t wash them, or people who don’t own brushes apart from the ones God attached to the palms of their hands (and hopefully, you wash your fingers without prompting from bathroom signs). Makeup artist Troy Surratt swears by using Dawn laundry detergent to clean brushes, for being gentle, yet thorough for natural bristles.
5. Attempt to organize your beauty collection until it looks like something worthy of Things Organized Neatly. The first step to spend $384 on clear, plexiglass shelving at the Container Store. We'll wait.
6. Attempt a no-makeup makeup look from a YouTube tutorial. The first step is to purchase the roughly 27 products in the tutorial. We'll wait.
7. Sleep in a coconut-oil hair mask. This is a deep conditioner best-suited for those with textured, curly, and/or thick hair. If you have fine hair like mine, use sparingly or else you will need to wash your hair five times to completely rid it of all the coconut oil (time-waster bonus!). Afterward, your hair will be silky-soft, despite the repeated hair washings, and smell like a Mounds bar.
8. Test out a hair bonnet and a Lady Edith–inspired hairdo. If you fall asleep midway through, do so before the heat styling begins and wake up with Downtonian-esque beach waves.
9. Kontour like a Kardashian. 'Nuff said.
11. Try out Eve Lom's infamous cleanser, which comes with muslin cloths and a 12-square foldout of breathing and massage instructions. Busy mom Kate Hudson told Into the Gloss that she now uses the same cloths as baby burp cloths. After this cleanser's process, your tiny, clean pores will thank you.
Most Viewed Stories
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
What Romance Really Means After 10 Years of Marriage
The Divorced Mom Who Cries After Sex
I’m Anti-Trump, But I Refuse to March
Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of January 16
Attention: Meghan Markle Has Now Met Kate Middleton and Princess Charlotte
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesWomen’s March on Washington Drops Anti-Choice Partner After Backlash
The Women’s March on Washington faced criticism after partnering with the anti-choice group “New Wave Feminists.”Jeff Goldblum and Emilie Livingston’s Baby Announcement Is Impressive
It’s a real balancing act.One of Kentucky’s Last Two Remaining Abortion Providers to Close Down
As of January 27th, there will only be one abortion clinic remaining in the state.Bella Hadid Got Two Incredibly Tiny Tattoos
Done by tiny tattoo expert JonBoy.Noor Salman, Wife of Pulse Nightclub Shooter, Arrested on Obstruction Charges
The widow previously said she knew nothing of Omar Mateen’s plans.Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
Atif Aslam wasn’t having it.Mariah’s Manager Writes a Message for Her in Lipstick
It’s on a hotel pillow and involves Mariah’s love life.Teen Who Was Abducted the Day She Was Born Reunites With Birth Family
Meanwhile, the man who raised Kamiyah Mobley and thought he was her father says it’s “a shock.”The Worst Thing About Episode One of The Young Pope: Baby Pyramid
Every week, we’ll tell you the worst thing about HBO’s new series The Young Pope.Madame Clairevoyant: Horoscopes for the Week of January 16
The sun moves into Aquarius.
Experts share their best tips.Drake Gave Sasha Obama a Little Shout-out
Who’s a fan of whom here?Taylor Swift’s Home Might Become a Historic Landmark
She’s spent millions on restoring her Beverly Hills place to its 1934 glory.Lady Gaga, Danai Gurira, Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman Signed an Open Letter Supporting Education for Girls
The open letter is from campaigning and advocacy organization ONE.The Divorced Mom Who Cries After Sex
This week’s sex diary.This Pioneering Fashion Photographer Captured Complicated Women
Deborah Turbeville transformed fashion photography in the 1970s.Connecticut Politician Arrested for Pinching Woman’s Genitals
“I love this new world, I no longer have to be politically correct.”Saturday Night Live Takes Aim at The Bachelor’s Nick Viall
You know you’ve made it when SNL makes a sketch about you.British Prime Minister Theresa May Lands Her First Vogue Cover
Annie Leibovitz took the photos.Reese Witherspoon Talks Hollywood’s ‘Smurfette Syndrome’ and the Isolation of Being a Woman in Film
“For 25 years, I’ve been the only woman on set.”