Couture Week is always a celebration of impossibility — it seems almost mind-boggling that any of the clothes could actually be worn off the runway. With the shows wrapping up yesterday, we decided to pick out some of the most memorable looks from the runway this season. There were silk ski masks at Margiela, to complement its version of normal couture dresses; off-the-shoulder dresses with hair sleeves at Chanel; carpeted dresses at Viktor & Rolf; and something wearable straight off the runway at Valentino — flat gladiator sandals. Below, our favorite looks from Couture:
1. At Maison Martin Margiela, the usual rhinestone-encrusted ski masks were replaced with Swiss-dotted veils that seemed to complement instead of compete with the exquisite embroidery and detailing of the collection for the first several looks. And in a departure from past collections, this season seemed to embrace a unified theme of rarity and classicism: Models wore opera-length gloves with avant-garde but still vaguely classical column gowns. They wore mismatched earrings, and even jewel-tone crawfishes dripping with embroidery, draped ever so nonchalantly over the shoulders of two looks.
2. At Chanel, one strapless evening gown festooned with plastic and crystal embroidery was made all the more epic with long hair sleeves that seem to accentuate the delicateness of the open shoulder.
3. But it was the final Chanel look, which featured a bride with child, dressed in white satin embroidered with gold, that stood out. If that embroidered cape isn't the couture look of the week, we don't know what is.
4. At Valentino, the beautiful Lesage-embroidered beading on some of the clothes was offset by flat gladiator sandals that seemed to make the couture feel that much more wearable.
5. Viktor & Rolf's collection — fun, wearable, party-girl dresses — was not without the designer's usual tongue-in-cheek touch. The red-carpet dresses were in fact made of a laboriously hand-appliquéd carpet, shaved to appear almost like fur. It was a feat of execution, the heavy material somehow suspended in dramatic folds and bows, and apparently took seamstresses 300 hours per look to complete.
Most Viewed Stories
Looks Like Kate Middleton Is Enjoying the View in Canada
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Brad Pitt Fights Back Against Angelina Jolie and Her Plot to ‘Destroy’ Him
Megyn Kelly Roasts Trump’s Campaign Manager for Claiming He Doesn’t Make Sexist Comments
Finally Someone Called Donald Trump a Giant Baby and It Was Michelle Obama
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Prince Married to Commoner Still Too Good to Tweet
Democratic Women Senators Are Very Concerned About Donald Trump’s Weight
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
Kim Kardashian Assaulted by the Same Guy Who Grabbed Gigi Hadid
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.