Before Gisele's beach waves and Kate Middleton's blowouts, there was Lauren Bacall with her perfectly coiffed, face-framing waves. After making her stage debut in a show called Franklin Street at age 18, Bacall — who passed away yesterday at the age of 89 — landed the attention of Harper's Bazaar editor-in-chief Diana Vreeland, who put her on the magazine's cover in March 1943. Soon after, she appeared in To Have and Have Not, and the rest, as they say, is history. She became known for teaching Humphrey Bogart how to whistle, and inspired women everywhere to get those shiny, bouncy curls. Here, six reasons to love Bacall's signature hair.
1. She knew the importance of realizing your ideal hair part. Hers was always a few inches from her head's center, veering toward the right. Note how her side part starts exactly where her brow arch begins.
2. Reportedly, she did her hair by herself. Vanity Fair's March 2011 profile of the star describes how Hollywood makeup artists attempted to convince Bacall to pluck her eyebrows and shave her hairline. She resisted and "insisted on doing her own hair." How many stars can say that nowadays?
3. She had a signature hairstyle and kept it. She described it as: "The wave … on the right side — starting to curve at the corner of my eyebrow and ending, sloping downward, at my cheekbone."
4. The love of her life, Humphrey Bogart, first kissed her while she was combing her hair. As Vanity Fair details, they were working together on To Have and Have Not, when Bogart came to visit Bacall in her trailer while she was tending to her hair. He was standing behind her when "suddenly he leaned over, put his hand under my chin, and kissed me."
5. She overcame hat hair, even making wearing this beret look good.
6. Her voluminous, bouncy hair game stayed strong throughout her life.
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Finally Possible to Understand What Happened to Amanda Knox
The Very Uncomfortable Experience of Rewatching Election in 2016
Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Reportedly Broke Up
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Wants Everyone to Call Her Boyfriend Her ‘Master’!
Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Ask Polly: Should I Try to Help My Alcoholic Friend?
Outrageous Party Photos From Andy Warhol’s Factory Days
22 Intimate Lost Photos of Marilyn Monroe
Chelsea Clinton Says She Didn’t Initially Know Her Mom Had Pneumonia Because She Was Trying to Power Through It
YogaToes Cured My Lifelong Fear of Bunions
From Our Partners
The Zoe Report
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesThis Gentle Mask Kills Zits Overnight
And it doesn’t stink.What Really Happens Backstage at the Shows
Runway beauty used to be pretty low-key. Now it’s one of the main events.Gary Johnson Calls in Supernatural Powers for Election Help
Melissa Joan Hart is the new Connecticut chair for the Gary Johnson campaign.Kim Kardashian Assaulted by the Same Guy Who Grabbed Gigi Hadid
He ran up and kissed her ass.The FDA Is Finally Going to Update the Term ‘Healthy’
Currently, foods that are low in fat but high in sugar can use it, which, no.Trump Campaign Manager Accidentally Refers to His ‘Abuse’ of Women on Live TV
Kellyanne Conway made a Freudian slip.Meet the Designer Who Launched a Hit Label From His Apartment
Talking to Atlein designer Antonin Tron about his unconventional debut.In The Girl on the Train, Emily Blunt Fights the Stigma Around Female Alcoholism
The adaptation of Paula Hawkins’s best-selling novel hits theaters on October 7.Miley Cyrus Says She Was the ‘Least-Paid’ Actor on Hannah Montana
She was just excited to be on a Disney show.The Frozen Flowers at Dries Van Noten Are Your New Wedding Inspiration
Paris Fashion Week’s most dramatic set so far.
Bryan Boy and Hari Nef, Mickey Mouse, lots of red.5 Things on Sale You’ll Actually Want to Buy, From a Coffee Grinder to an A.P.C. Jacket
Including a Lanvin iPhone case for the cost of brunch.World’s Unluckiest Man Gets Venomous Spider Bite on Penis — Again
This is unfortunate.Sorry, Athleisure, Music Is Now Kate Hudson’s Life
“I write music and it’s super depressing.”Suburban Women Are Trying to Like Donald Trump But He’s Not Making It Easy
“I can’t have my children grow up and look at him as someone to respect.”Tom Hiddleston Thinks His Relationship With Taylor Swift Was ‘Private,’ Sure
Apparently, all of those paparazzi photos were “unsolicited.”Leonardo DiCaprio’s New Movie Takes on Climate Change One Newsboy Hat at a Time
Too many hats for one man.Study Confirms What Parents Already Know: Child Care Is Really Freakin’ Expensive
A new report finds that child care is expensive and sometimes hard to find.Lean In’s Workplace Inequality Report Doesn’t Tell Us Anything We Don’t Already Know
Another day, another workplace report.Here’s a Very Good Argument Against Stadium Proposals
What was supposed to be a simple Yankee Stadium engagement turned into a disaster.