It's over. New York closed another tidal wave of frocks, socializing, power struggles, manic pageantry, and hangovers. And what a week it was — from Thom Browne's inspiring showmanship to Britney Spears's less-inspired lingerie presentation at the New York Public Library; from Marc Jacobs's concept of love and war to Miley's DIY raver jewelry. High-school students were very on-trend this season, seen everywhere from Eckhaus Latta, to Rosie Assoulin, to Chloë Sevigny for Opening Ceremony. Not to mention all over the runways, but that's nothing new.
Below, the 19 most delirious, glorious things that happened in the last few days of Fashion Week.
1. The Great Rodarte Seat-Bump of 2014 happened when two seasoned vets in the front row refused to make enough room for Bill Cunningham. When he asked to sit, neither would make way for him. Finally, he threw himself in between them unapologetically — as he should — but shame on them. Age before beauty. Yield for Bill.
2. After the Rodarte show, we stopped in for a little shopping at Comme des Garçons. We spotted Grace Coddington trying on a pair of red slip-on sneaks (with holes) to match her red shirt and, of course, her hair.
3. Rosie Assoulin hosted high-school students at her show. She held her presentation in the gym of the Notre Dame School in the West Village, and halfway through the presentation, a group of uniformed female students came to check out the collection. Assoulin greeted them with open arms. We love her ever more.
4. Assoulin also had some nice jugs. Her first-ever bag collection came in the shape of water jugs. Our favorite: a white rope backpack that looked like a Grecian amphora. Cut contributor Bil Donovan was on-scene sketching.
5. Miley showed her "Dirty Hippie" candy-raver jewelry at Jeremy Scott. And then grabbed prominent curator Jeffrey Deitch for a photo op. Look, ma, I'm a real artist!
6. Leigh Lezark and Geordon Nicol couldn't even get backstage at Jeremy Scott. You know its bad when the fashion world’s preeminent party royalty (what do they actually do?) can’t talk their way to the backstage area. Somehow we did though.
7. Will the real Caroline de Maigret please stand up? "Who’s this Caroline de Maigret wannabe next to us?” we wondered aloud at the Phillip Lim show when we noticed a shaggy-haired lady in menswear plop down next to us. We were so used to seeing her in photos we didn't think she was a real person. It was, of course, the real Caroline de Maigret. Oops.
8. Maggie Rizer made a return to walk in the Michael Kors show on Wednesday. As he told us after the show, "She's living a really full, happy life, and I think it shows. I never think of models as mannequins. I really think of them as individuals." Here's to living.
10. The street-style winners of the week are … Rachael Wang, for making the Gap look like Céline, and Lucy Chadwick, who repurposed her wedding dress. But we still have all of Europe, so there's still time for the rest of you.
14. Thank God for Thom Browne, who gives us a little European showmanship.
17. We had a party that was equal parts chic and weird. As we would. Some people thought the DJ’ing could have been better, but we were too busy enjoying NapkinKilla’s sketches to notice.
19. The Chloë Sevigny presentation made sincerity cool again. Amen.
And with that, we're out. Stay tuned for London, Milan, and Paris this month.
Most Viewed Stories
That Awkward Clip of Donald and Melania at the Inauguration Is Definitely Real
Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Reportedly Spotted at the Women’s March
A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
Like Trump, Taylor Swift Cares About Numbers
What You Need to Know About the 89800 ‘Count Me’ Text
Museums Across the World Are Collecting Women’s March Signs
Calvin Klein Quietly Unveils First Raf Simons Collection
Sean Spicer Chews and Swallows 35 Pieces of Gum Every Day Before Noon
Why the Election of 9 Black Female Judges in Alabama Matters
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.